Anyone Plan to Breastfeed?

Lovely to see all these BFers to be!!!!! :happydance:

We have a great sticky thread in the BFing forum about things that helped mum's in the early days - definately worth a read :)

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/115736-helped-you-starting-out.html

BFing can be difficult but not always. What most people do say that stick with it is that it is incredibly rewarding....I for one can confirm that is definately true!

:D

Merv's Mum is one of the gurus over in the BF forum ;)

I'm thinking she should be writing a book!

I will be breastfeeding. I breastfed my daughter...now a healthy 2 yrs' old, but as she was born with cancer, her doctors believe it was one of the things that gave her the strength and nourishment she needed to survive the gruelling chemotherapay she had for the first 6 months of life. I was also her immune system, as hers was destroyed by the chemo. My breastmilk protected her from infection which could have been fatal in those months.

I fed her for 18 months, and during that time I trained as a peer supporter for breastfeeding. I am now part way through my training as a breastfeeding counsellor and voluntarily have helped a lot of women in my local community, and a few on here, usually by pm or by swapping email, too.

So as we willl be sharing this journey for the next few months, I hope.....I will be happy to help anyone here with any questions they have or support them in anyway too xx

im gunna breastfeed for about the first 6month and poss carry on till 1yr
for all the bonding and nutertion benifits and the like
after all breast is best

I plan on breastfeeding for 6 months to a year.
I don't know anyone who hasn't breastfed unless there was a medical reason - is it common to choose to buy formula instead??

i did with my first and loved it. I had planned not to this time though as i wanted babies dad to be involved in feeding and didnt want him thinking of me as some sort of milk machine lol.

We actually split up, so for baby and out of laziness and not wanting to bother cleaning bottles etc, its a defo

The thought freaks me out a bit, but I really want to give it a go, even if I have to use a breast pump or something rather than lets bubs take it directly.

Also, added bonus, my mum said she lost all her baby weight really quick when breast feeding! Not the main reason to do it, but can't be a bad thing can it?

I definately plan on breastfeeding, i did with my 2nd and loved it, although i only did it for 5wks, i plan on doing it for longer this time. I really wish i could have done it with my 1st but it just wasnt gonna happen.

The thought freaks me out a bit, but I really want to give it a go, even if I have to use a breast pump or something rather than lets bubs take it directly.

Also, added bonus, my mum said she lost all her baby weight really quick when breast feeding! Not the main reason to do it, but can't be a bad thing can it?

i have heard so many people say they lost tons of weight while breast feeding. When i had my daughter i never lost a pound and the second i stopped breastfeeding it dropped off out of no where. Basically if it doesnt come off keep thinking that lol

I really wanted to BF my dd, but be warned it really doesn't work out for everyone.

The midwives were all full of joy when you say you are gonna BF, and were looking down their noses at the girls in my antenatal class who said they weren't.

I BF my dd for the first week, and all the midwives at the hospital and on home visits said I was doing great, but a week after taking her home, she had screamed pretty much the whole time and I was on the verge of a breakdown, then they weighed her and realised she had been getting very little milk from me the whole time. Her weight went down to 5lbs and they were going to take her back into hospital.
I said hold it, went out and got some ready made formula and gave it to her.
She took the whole lot and slept for hours.

I have never looked back and definitely plan on bottle feeding this one.

I am not saying to not try and BF, but be really careful, as all my midwives said we were doing great, and it turned out I had practically starved her for a week.

I find it shocking that no one was there to help you with that MrsO29. There are a lot of trained breastfeeding professionals who would have most probably helped you sort out that problem, in a variety of ways, depending on what caused it. I have done so already for many woman who have had the exactly same problem., for many different reasons.

So yes, it can happen, but there is help available.

It took me 3 weeks to get my daughter feeding from me fully as she couldnt latch on, but I went looking for help (it wasn't given by the midwives - they just suggested formula) and I found a lactation consultant who sorted out my problems overnight. One of the reasons I then trained.....I wanted to help other women the same way.

I want to try and BF, have to admit though I'm pretty doubtful about suceeding as I don't particular enjoy DH going anywhere near by @@'s anyway so the through of a baby feeding from them kind of freaks me out but I think I at least owe it to nature to try it before writing off the idea.

Will be interesting to see how I feel about it nearer the time :)

The thought is definitely a strange one but I would like to BF if possible.

My brother was born with a cleft lip and so wasn't able to be breast fed, I think my step mum still expressed though so he was able to get the benefits.

I'll try my best!

I want to breast feed :) It would be nice bonding with baby in this manner, my mom said she loved it, the baby looking at you while sucking and the noises the baby makes are the most beautifull...

I hate the pressure you can to BF, only problem ive got towards it.
I gave BF'ing a go with Amber, it lasted 4 days, so she got the best out of it, but i just couldnt do it, when she wouldnt latch it got stressful. I tried to express what a failure that was, didnt even work. I'll deffo try again for first few days then im going back to bottles alot easier, dont fancy getting my boob out in public lol

I hate the pressure you can to BF, only problem ive got towards it.
I gave BF'ing a go with Amber, it lasted 4 days, so she got the best out of it, but i just couldnt do it, when she wouldnt latch it got stressful. I tried to express what a failure that was, didnt even work. I'll deffo try again for first few days then im going back to bottles alot easier, dont fancy getting my boob out in public lol

Im kinda frightened about trying to be honest. I know its the best thing of course and you should put babys needs first, but im worried of the pressure midwives put on you. I dont want to feel 'shunned' if i found it wasnt for me .... and family members dont help, telling me they never breastfed, oohhh no i couldnt breastfeed etc. Makes me feel uncomfortable to say i want to at least try it. Im just not comfortable with feeding when others are there, even the OH - i know that sounds stupid, im sorry :blush: :dohh:

After bubs is born and when everyone has gone home, i plan on trying it, just to see for myself. I just dont want to feel pressured by anybody to do it and to NOT do it. It should be MY decision.

But im defo going to research it first :hugs:

Merv's Mum is one of the gurus over in the BF forum ;)

I'm thinking she should be writing a book!

I think guru might be pushing it a bit :rofl:

I'm just a BFing mum with a particular interest in helping other mums - like Lyns I'm a 'Peer Supporter' who isnt an expert by any means. Here to listen and offer friendly words of advice and most of all encouragement :D

I find it shocking that no one was there to help you with that MrsO29. There are a lot of trained breastfeeding professionals who would have most probably helped you sort out that problem, in a variety of ways, depending on what caused it. I have done so already for many woman who have had the exactly same problem., for many different reasons.

So yes, it can happen, but there is help available.

It took me 3 weeks to get my daughter feeding from me fully as she couldnt latch on, but I went looking for help (it wasn't given by the midwives - they just suggested formula) and I found a lactation consultant who sorted out my problems overnight. One of the reasons I then trained.....I wanted to help other women the same way.

I agree - I think that BFing support isnt promoted enough in the community though Lyns - do you? I mean I found it because like you I had a problem and I was pointed in the right direction, but much of the support I've found since then I happened across IYKWIM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->