Anyone planning on breastfeeding AND expressing?

kayleigh&bump

Mum to Finnley & TTC #2
Reaction score
okay so here is my plan...

Im gunna give breastfeeding a good go (although if it doesnt go to plan, I am quite happy to formula feed and wont beat myself up about it). If breastfeeding goes well, i want to introduce expressed breast milk as soon as possible so that hubby can feed and let me have a night off once or twice a week. I know that the recommended time for this is 6 weeks, but want to try and get it going before then if at all possible.

What do you recommend that I buy to make this as easy as possible?

I know im gunna need bottles, steraliser, breats pump and storage bags for the freezer, but other than this im a bit unsure of the best things to buy etc.

I already have a steraliser, which is boots own brand and comes with 6 bottles. Will these bottles be ok to use? Here is the link to it.. https://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Cold-Water-Steriliser_861936/ Are these bottles suitable for someone also wanting to breast feed, and what about the teats? Which are better, standard neck or wide neck?

Now with the breast pump, Im assuming that as long as it fits the bottles I am planning on using and I am comfortable using it, thats all that matters?

I've got myself into a right tizzy with all this feedling lark, ive suddenly got myself all worked up that im not gunna be able to feed my baby properly! :dohh: If breastfeeding doesnt work out, then i still want all the stuff so that I can formula feed.

Any advice girlies?? :flower:

If you head on over to the breastfeeding forum you'll get loads of help from the ladies there!

I want to do the same plus I have to return to work after only 4 months but want to BF for a s long as I can as long as its practical with work.

I got the Tommee Tippee Closer to nature bottles/sterillizer/pump when they were half price in tesco and I'm hoping they'll do the job!

I'm planning on following your route as well - I think it's important that I get some sleep and DH gets a chance to bomd with the LO.

I have bought a whole load of tommee tippee stuff (it was on offer) but I think you're right - so long as your comfortable with the breast pump etc you should be fine. However as this is my first I have no experience to back this up!

Good luck

xxx

I plan on breastfeeding exclusively for the first six weeks and then expressing a couple of bottles a day so DH can feed him too. I'm leaving it six weeks because of nipple confusion. I want to breastfeed exclusively for up to six months before introducing solids but I still intend to give the odd feed until he's a year old. I haven't bought a pump yet because if my plans go well I will just buy a manual Tommee Tippee one. If he doesn't take to the breast that well I will buy the Tommee Tippee electric one. It's all very confusing and quite daunting though, i've bought 3 books so far on breastfeeding and some of the advice is quite conflicting. Best of luck hun :hugs: xx

When i expressed for Evie when she was in SCBU, the neonatal nurses advised me to buy Tommee Tippee closer to nature bottles and teats as they are supposed to be the closest in shape/design to the nipple. Evie was fine with both these and the breast and didnt get confused or reject either :thumbup:, im hoping this bub will be the same as like a few have said, i would like to be able to leave one or two feeds to DH. xx

i have been wondering the exact same thing, ive got the timmie toppie thingy bob so hopefully i will manage
xx

I have to be back at work by 6 weeks, so I plan to do both as well. No idea what I'm doing though, so I haven't bought anything yet.

ive just been out and bought the avent manual pump and some bottles. It says that they good for breast feeding and expressing so hoping they will be ok. I would have gone for the closer to nature ones, but these seemed exactly the same as were a bit cheaper :thumbup:

Thanks for all your advice ladies xx

I'm planning on doing the same and have the avent stuff. I'm thinkibg of exclusively bf for first week or two then introducing a bottle a day to see how it goes. I really want oh to be involved and this seems a perfect method to help them bond.

I want to do the same plus I have to return to work after only 4 months but want to BF for a s long as I can as long as its practical with work.

I got the Tommee Tippee Closer to nature bottles/sterillizer/pump when they were half price in tesco and I'm hoping they'll do the job!

same here :)

the teats are sort of boob like and really sofftttt... amazing really compared to what my mum said she used to have.

- my midwife suggested expressing milk after a month if you can.
though i know people who expressed right from the start! Especially if their baby was in NICU or something. though i've no experience myself so i dont see why you couldn't try straight from the off if it was easier

x

I plan to express and bf.

I will bf exclusively until its well established and then hopefully intoduce a bottle here and there so that oh can do the late evening feed when I want an early night.

I am planning to get a medela electric pump to do my expressing

https://www.medela.co.uk/UK/breastfeeding/products/swing.php

I'll be doing both because OH and I think it's important that he get to bond with LO while feeding.

love reading all the advice on bottles and such because I have zero clue!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->