Anyone probably not getting an ultrasound until 20 weeks?

yourstruly10

Reaction score
My doctor doesn't believe in "unnecessary"( I put this in quotations as this is his words, not mine) ultrasounds so unless my blood work comes back with something that needs looking at then I most likely won't get one until 20 weeks and none after unless needed.

I'd rather not wait but don't mind as I know he would do them if they were needed.

Just curious if I'm the only one waiting as everyone seems to be getting them at 6-8-12 weeks ish.

To each their own. I've gotten 3 already. 2 were scheduled and 1 was at 13 weeks due to bleeding. I'm a worry wart, so for me I wouldn't be able to go that long. But if you can, by all means. :)

I had 1 at my first appt, I was 7 +2, and we'll have one more at 20 weeks. If I want more I'll have to pay for a private scan. I know a lot of women who get more, some of them because of issues with bleeding, etc. my insurance only pays for 2 I believe.

Oh I'm not saying more are bad. With my second I had 18 due to lots of problems. This time however as long as things are good I only get one and you can't just choose to book them where I love a doctor has to refer you for one. Unfortunately my doctor only thinks the 20 weeks is necessary.
Trust me I'd have more if I could but I love my doctor so the trade off is worth it.

Mine isn't until 12 weeks, which is the norm for my medical facility. With my son, however, I started at 6 weeks because I had just suffered a missed mc 3 months prior. 20 weeks is really late!

I guess it's just the norm around here. Most of my friends have only had them at 20 weeks unless there was complications.

My first pregnancy I didn't get one until 20 weeks. I was fine with it.

Since I'm going with a midwife this time around, they generally only like to do 1 or 2 ultrasounds at the most. Like your doctor, midwives believe they are unneccesary unless there is a problem of some sort. In my first pregnancy due to cholestasis I had them ALL the time since I was high risk for still birth...and with my daughter I had quite a few near the end, because she flipped breech. lol!
With this one I'd like to avoid them if possible. SO ... I don't think I will get one until closer to 14 weeks(ish) or even later

I've had 3 already due to few things but normally we only do two each pregnancy. I've never opted for the 12 week scans but Dr insists I get one this time and I just want another chance to see my baby lol! If you can afford it get a private scan :)

me! I was given a referral at 7 weeks for a dating scan, but I chickened out. I didn't want the internal and I didn't want them to find nothing, so I've been hanging on since, but I don't know how I can go another 10 weeks without freaking out that something's happened. I will probably get the doppler on at my apt when I'm 15 weeks - but that's still a long time to wait :(

Here the standard is usually a 12 week nuchal translucency scan (very optional.... I had friends who didn't want it as it is only given if you want to know the odds of some chromosomal abnormalities... it didn't matter to them so they just didn't want to know). My obs/gyn actually doesn't want to see ladies until AFTER the scan (I guess there is just too many early miscarriages he can't do much about anyway). The more important one is the 20 weeks u/s...

I'm in Canada and they usually only do the 20 week one. My first 2 were in Australia and it was the same there as well. This time though I have a Dr from the UK and she thinks it's ridiculous that in Canada you can only get the one at 20 weeks so she has booked me for a 12 week one. She likes it's so you can see how many are in there and thinks it gives mums some peace of mind in the early stages. I wasn't going to argue,!

Here the standard is usually a 12 week nuchal translucency scan (very optional.... I had friends who didn't want it as it is only given if you want to know the odds of some chromosomal abnormalities... it didn't matter to them so they just didn't want to know). My obs/gyn actually doesn't want to see ladies until AFTER the scan (I guess there is just too many early miscarriages he can't do much about anyway). The more important one is the 20 weeks u/s...

I should add I'm in Alberta. I guess it varies from province to province.

Yay here in Moose Jaw Saskatchewan 20 weeks is standard so it even varies by city within a province too. I'm going to see if I may get a NT scan at 12 because OH's sister has turners syndrome. It's not genetic but I'd still like to get the NT done if I can. We'll see. I'll be ok with 20 weeks if I have to wait.

I'm from Canada too. I had my first baby in Toronto, and had a 12 week u/s and 20 week, which is standard for that province, and the same goes for BC(where I had my daughter). But with a midwife its very different

I have had 4 before 13 weeks, but we are high risk.

With dd1 my first scan was 20 weeks (shock finding twins at that point?) dd2 was given a scan at 10 weeks as previous twin pregnancy and prem birth... Forward 10 years with ds hospital now does nuchal translucency test so offered scan at 12 weeks...! I find it hard enough waiting til then. So scared something is wrong...!

Where I'm living, it's standard not to have one until 19-20 weeks, unless there are issues/concerns that arise. With my last pregnancy I wasn't scheduled for one until 19 weeks, but this time I had an early one at 9 weeks due to my last pregnancy ending in mmc. I was also able to hear the hb at 11 weeks with a fetal Doppler in my doctors office this time around.

Waiting is hard, but the weeks do seen to fly by!

All the best to you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"