Anyone selling or recently sold their house? Update!

tina3747

Mummy of 2 gorgeous boys!
Reaction score
I'm losing a little of what's left of my mind!!

We've only been on the market a month, not long I know but I'm really feeling deflated. Were a 4 bed house that's marketed as imaculate so priced accordingly. We had 12 people round in the first 14 days and only 2 in the last fortnight. I feel like the chance if getting a decent price really comes in the first month and we've not even had one offer! I was expecting a silly one at least?!

Can anyone give me any confidence with how long it took to sell theirs and how much they sold for compared to the asking price? Yes I know everyone's going to say give it time but it feels like its been up forever now.. We have a new estate of 4 bed houses near us that are a little bit more expensive than ours but I feel they may be taking our potential buyers away.

Or if anyone has any explosive devices I could borrow to take that new estate up I'd be very grateful!!

I haven't but my mum has, she sold within a couple weeks £4000 under the asking price and bought their new house for £20,000 under (the house they're buying is being sold for inheritance so they're not as in need as those selling for a new house, and it has been on the market a while).

They're also selling another house in a different area they buy to let, they have been trying for 2 months but only had one offer that was too low.

Don't know if that is any help. The house she sold for £4000 under is on an estate they're still building on, and even though exactly the same she sold for £14,000 less than the asking price of the newly built ones. I imagine the builders are making deals and not actually selling for the asking price, but I think the appeal is while they're still being built you can pick your kitchen and bathrooms etc.

P.s. I will speak to my husband about those explosive devices.

I haven't but my mum has, she sold within a couple weeks £4000 under the asking price and bought their new house for £20,000 under (the house they're buying is being sold for inheritance so they're not as in need as those selling for a new house, and it has been on the market a while).

They're also selling another house in a different area they buy to let, they have been trying for 2 months but only had one offer that was too low.

Don't know if that is any help. The house she sold for £4000 under is on an estate they're still building on, and even though exactly the same she sold for £14,000 less than the asking price of the newly built ones. I imagine the builders are making deals and not actually selling for the asking price, but I think the appeal is while they're still being built you can pick your kitchen and bathrooms etc.
Yes I've heard they're doing deals, there's some big ones that are 450k that thyre selling at 400 so massive savings! The first week I was so positive with all the people coming around. Nobody has given us any bad constructive feedback either, well not that we can do anything about. So frustrating, I hate not knowing things... I keep wondering where we'll be at Christmas (which my husband just rolls his eyes at!) I hate not being able to control things!!

Don't forget the government are giving 5% deposit loans to first time buyers on new builds.

Really hope you sell it soon must be so frustrating!

Have you thought of going with more than one agent? If you check the T&Cs most will allow this-and you only pay for the one who gets the sale.
It sometimes puts a rocket up their asses to advertise more prominently.
This helped with my mums house.

Don't forget the government are giving 5% deposit loans to first time buyers on new builds.

Shouldn't majorly affect as the new Htb scheme is for all types of houses not just new builds. It basically works as the government will guarantee our low deposit so the bank is able to lend it out to ftb

Have you thought of going with more than one agent? If you check the T&Cs most will allow this-and you only pay for the one who gets the sale.
It sometimes puts a rocket up their asses to advertise more prominently.
This helped with my mums house.

We're tied into one agent for 14 weeks I think. I'm happy with what they've done so far, I suppose its normal to have a rush of viewers then die off, just feel a bit in limbo now!

hope you sell it soon but one thing my hubby said when we were looking to buy was that people only tend to go with multiple agents if they cant sell and it made him wonder if something was wrong-but that is just his opinion also sometimes agents offer to show you houses that maybe a little out of budget on the off chance they maybe interested happened with us) so they may not be able to afford it. x

Good luck with selling.
We are buying our first property, we have had our offer accepted on a flat for the full asking price but going to see a house today thats nearby but needs work.
All the open houses we have been to have had 30+ people booked to go and see them and usually the property sells for over the asking price by Monday at 5pm the following week.
Im finding it very frustrating as we would ideally like a house but are having to settle with a flat for now.
Have you had an open house?

Good luck with selling.
We are buying our first property, we have had our offer accepted on a flat for the full asking price but going to see a house today thats nearby but needs work.
All the open houses we have been to have had 30+ people booked to go and see them and usually the property sells for over the asking price by Monday at 5pm the following week.
Im finding it very frustrating as we would ideally like a house but are having to settle with a flat for now.
Have you had an open house?

No but it's been suggested we have one. The silly thing is we haven't found anything yet but we were open to renting for a while to get the right property anyway rather than just jump in if we had sold. I just feel the longer its in the less likely its going to get sold... I sound so negative and down in the dumps I'm depressing myself at the minute!

Is your house listed on Rightmove? If not - insist that the estate agent puts it on.

And don't get disheartened.
I looked at a lot of houses, but they just didn't 'feel' right to me.
The house we bought felt like home as soon as I walked in. I could see myself living here for years - and it had nothing to do with decor, because the house was just painted magnolia and was an empty shell (it didn't even have flooring or carpets!!)

Someone WILL walk into your house and say "Yep - this is 'The One'"!

Is your house listed on Rightmove? If not - insist that the estate agent puts it on.

The house we bought felt like home as soon as I walked in. I could see myself living here for years - and it had nothing to do with decor, because the house was just painted magnolia and was an empty shell (it didn't even have flooring or carpets!!)

Thank you!! I really need to start thinking positive thoughts!i think ours would put off people who want a bargain and add they're own touch, ours is priced because of all the extras which I'm aware of but I suppose some people like to move straight in and it be done. Yes were on right move... I can't imagine houses not selling these days if they're not on there, do people actually go to estate agents now when you can see if you like before you even get there!?

Thank you!! I really need to start thinking positive thoughts!i think ours would put off people who want a bargain and add they're own touch, ours is priced because of all the extras which I'm aware of but I suppose some people like to move straight in and it be done. Yes were on right move... I can't imagine houses not selling these days if they're not on there, do people actually go to estate agents now when you can see if you like before you even get there!?

yes they do! we specifically have looked at agents who dont advertise on rightmove,zoopla,primelocation etc because lots of people only look online so it means we may have less competition if we want to make an offer

Round here the houses that are all done are the ones that sell, especially a four bedroom family house. Don't get disheartened, I think it is a hard time to sell and (here anyway), lots of people who would be moving to your type of house can't afford to with this financial climate. There are people who can though you've just gotta wait, the good weather will bring the buyers!

Would it be weird if I wanted a sneak peek at your house? :blush:
We are looking to finish renovating and buying an immaculate house or new build this year.
We are lucky in that the village where we live is very sort after.
Xx

I work at a scottish estate agents so might differ from England.
with us if a property with ourselves came on the market and it was a 4 bed for example, we would keep hold of all the viewers details and then when a similar property came on the market we would phone or email all viewers that viewed the similar property to try and get them to view the other one (obviously only if they werent interested in the first one)
Also if someone calls to set a viewing up and its a 4 bed id also suggest other 4 beds we have in the market that suit their budget.
make sure they are doing things like this as ud be surprised how much interest we drum up through this alone.

this is bad to say but I tend to take a little more time over the ones who I know have annoying/high needs owners as I no il have to call them that week and would prefer good news for them. Sometimes being pushy will help you.

make sure they have taken good quality photos of your property they REALLY help.

also sometimes changing the price even slightly can gain interest, however uv only been on a month so I wouldnt be suggesting this.

I personally wouldnt do an open house as thats only really recommended if you have massive interest, you dont want people turning up and theres only a few people there.

edit- in scotland we do offers over so eg.

offers over £300,000 could get around 310,000 really depends on area (iv no idea what happens in england)
So if yours is on for £300k even lowering to £295 could generate a whole new level of viewers as some people wont view if they cant afford it, so you could open up a wider audience just by lowering slighlty but still expecting the same kind of offer

Havent sold a house but have you thought of getting a friend to ring up estate agents asking about 4 bed houses. We did this for friend. They had a beautiful flat, neer to easy transport to london, central location. I even mentioned road and estate agents never mentioned their property, i also know when we bought are house it was absolute hell trying to get estate agents to set up viewing and it wasent due to the person living here before. These were both well known estate agents

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->