Anyone selling or recently sold their house? Update!

Would it be weird if I wanted a sneak peek at your house? :blush:
We are looking to finish renovating and buying an immaculate house or new build this year.
We are lucky in that the village where we live is very sort after.
Xx

I've just tried to PM you but your inbox is full!

some people just want to nosey around your house, so assume that a fair few of them were never interested. our last house sold with a week but i know this one will be a pain to shift mostly because its worth more, so when people spend more the expect more.

people want the illusion that everything is perfect too, so clear away all clutter and things like kids drawing on the fridge etc.

its stressful though, some areas are back on track and other are struggling to sell, i know ive seen the same houses on sale for months in this area.

Keep your chin up, someone will see it and buy t, makes sire its advertised everywhere, send links to its webpage in various locations, like your facebook page (if you dont mind your friends seeing your house uo for sale) because you never know who will see it and think, yes thats the one.

We're in the process of buying our first house and it had been on the market since June 2013, we made our offer/it was accepted in November so don't be disheartened if it doesn't sell within a few months as you just never know when a potential buyer will find it and want to view :) Its been our experience that houses marketed by multiple agents are hard to shift so I'd be wary of doing that. Also the help to buy scheme is for all properties now not just new builds so that could go in your favour. We chose an older property over a new build as we felt we got better value for money even though it needs decorating throughout. We went for location rather than if the house was immaculate inside as we can change one but not the other!

I work at a scottish estate agents so might differ from England.
with us if a property with ourselves came on the market and it was a 4 bed for example, we would keep hold of all the viewers details and then when a similar property came on the market we would phone or email all viewers that viewed the similar property to try and get them to view the other one (obviously only if they werent interested in the first one)
Also if someone calls to set a viewing up and its a 4 bed id also suggest other 4 beds we have in the market that suit their budget.
make sure they are doing things like this as ud be surprised how much interest we drum up through this alone.

this is bad to say but I tend to take a little more time over the ones who I know have annoying/high needs owners as I no il have to call them that week and would prefer good news for them. Sometimes being pushy will help you.

make sure they have taken good quality photos of your property they REALLY help.

also sometimes changing the price even slightly can gain interest, however uv only been on a month so I wouldnt be suggesting this.

I personally wouldnt do an open house as thats only really recommended if you have massive interest, you dont want people turning up and theres only a few people there.

edit- in scotland we do offers over so eg.

offers over £300,000 could get around 310,000 really depends on area (iv no idea what happens in england)
So if yours is on for £300k even lowering to £295 could generate a whole new level of viewers as some people wont view if they cant afford it, so you could open up a wider audience just by lowering slighlty but still expecting the same kind of offer

In England here and we frequently had estate agents suggesting other similar properties. Here the pricing is quite different to Scotland, I've heard that before actually. We have a price on the property but it's usually a negotiation starter - buyers will almost always offer below and unless there's competition for the property and a bidding war starts then quite often the property sells below it's listed price - it might only be a grand under or it might be a big chunk. I don't know anyone who paid the listed price for their house, but estate agents and vendors overprice to allow for it - all a bit silly sounding when you write it down lol. Also I believe an offer is legally binding in Scotland? In England there's no legal commitment to an offer, it only becomes so once you exchange contracts - after that if either party pulls out they can be sued by the other.

I wouldn't put your house on with two estate agents unless you get really desperate. We've recently been buyers and sellers, we automatically assumed properties on with two agents were desperate to sell and would probably accept silly offers. You risk not getting offers in the price area you want.

I work at a scottish estate agents so might differ from England.
with us if a property with ourselves came on the market and it was a 4 bed for example, we would keep hold of all the viewers details and then when a similar property came on the market we would phone or email all viewers that viewed the similar property to try and get them to view the other one (obviously only if they werent interested in the first one)
Also if someone calls to set a viewing up and its a 4 bed id also suggest other 4 beds we have in the market that suit their budget.
make sure they are doing things like this as ud be surprised how much interest we drum up through this alone.

this is bad to say but I tend to take a little more time over the ones who I know have annoying/high needs owners as I no il have to call them that week and would prefer good news for them. Sometimes being pushy will help you.

make sure they have taken good quality photos of your property they REALLY help.

also sometimes changing the price even slightly can gain interest, however uv only been on a month so I wouldnt be suggesting this.

I personally wouldnt do an open house as thats only really recommended if you have massive interest, you dont want people turning up and theres only a few people there.

edit- in scotland we do offers over so eg.

offers over £300,000 could get around 310,000 really depends on area (iv no idea what happens in england)
So if yours is on for £300k even lowering to £295 could generate a whole new level of viewers as some people wont view if they cant afford it, so you could open up a wider audience just by lowering slighlty but still expecting the same kind of offer

In England here and we frequently had estate agents suggesting other similar properties. Here the pricing is quite different to Scotland, I've heard that before actually. We have a price on the property but it's usually a negotiation starter - buyers will almost always offer below and unless there's competition for the property and a bidding war starts then quite often the property sells below it's listed price - it might only be a grand under or it might be a big chunk. I don't know anyone who paid the listed price for their house, but estate agents and vendors overprice to allow for it - all a bit silly sounding when you write it down lol. Also I believe an offer is legally binding in Scotland? In England there's no legal commitment to an offer, it only becomes so once you exchange contracts - after that if either party pulls out they can be sued by the other.

I wouldn't put your house on with two estate agents unless you get really desperate. We've recently been buyers and sellers, we automatically assumed properties on with two agents were desperate to sell and would probably accept silly offers. You risk not getting offers in the price area you want.

No i don't think we need to do the 2 agents, they tend to be when they don't sell around here .. We're not at that point yet. We have 2 viewings this week, one sounded promising with the fact he's sold and desperate for a house around here until they said he's just pulled out of the last house he's bought because of a dispute with the owners... Sounded great till they told me that lol! I don't knw why I'm panicked so much, if someone was saying all of this to me I'd think they were a bit mental!

Good to be cautious but also it could've been the other sellers causing the dispute. We had a seller mess us around loads and we pulled out in the end because it was so much hassle and we didn't trust that he'd even end up going through with it.

Can I have a peep? I'm not going to buy it, but we are looking, and it's nice to dream haha! It's difficult enough to buy a house, it must be stressyselling one! Xx

We're listed right now as of a week ago and this is my 3rd sale.

A month for a house in an average economy is pretty reasonable, but have you seen the actual sold comparables around you? There is an average selling price. Plus, it's still March - May and June is when you will see deals closing more often, because people still want to wait and see all the Spring houses hit the market, rather than make an offer right away before seeing the rest.

Either way, selling really sucks.

A month for a house in an average economy is pretty reasonable, but have you seen the actual sold comparables around you? There is an average selling price. Plus, it's still March - May and June is when you will see deals closing more often, because people still want to wait and see all the Spring houses hit the market, rather than make an offer right away before seeing the rest.

The trouble with the comparables near us is a new estate of houses that are similar spec and style as ours, slightly more expensive but I think people are willing to pay more for brand new. There's 400 of the stupid things going up!

The trouble with the comparables near us is a new estate of houses that are similar spec and style as ours, slightly more expensive but I think people are willing to pay more for brand new. There's 400 of the stupid things going up!

Eugh that sucks

Ours completed yesterday. but different ball park to yours as it was below the £250k stamp duty thresh hold and based in London.

It went up for sale on the 11th Jan two weeks later we had an open house with 27 viewing in one day, had 7 offers of the day 5 of which were over the asking price. Was up for £230 and got £235 so not bad (esp being we bought it 18months ago for £180k)

however my inlaws are selling their 6bed amazing semi detached in one of the best areas in our area and they cant shift it. It up for £550k and ppl are offering silly money like £450k, they accepted 3 offers which have ended up pulling out due to their own issues (nothing to do with actual house). madness.

I have to say having an open house was deff a good idea, get your estate agent to really sell sell sell...also having lots of people there at the same time really ups the pressure on the buyer to make a decision, and while we had 27 viewers a good few of them were developers the estate agents have on there books who walk round - knowing they would never give the asking price but puts pressure on those who would.

Good luck tho - we moved yesterday as never been so stressed.

P.s I found Mouseprice the best guess at getting a real estimate of what we could achieve, along with Zoopla and Right Move value (which is what all our estate agents used)

Also if you feel your estate agent crap - there some good online ones which only charge a one of fee of £500 to put your house on the big websites and then you do the viewings - I found out about them too late - would have saved us £5000.

We've sold our house... I'm shitting bricks now though, there's no houses for sale where we we want to be..in need ofa miracle now ha!

Feeling nauseous.

Oh congrats!!!

Since you've posted this we've been on the market 60 days, no bites but lots of showings.

Do you intend to stay in the same area??

You can, if you are crazy, consider a short hotel stay or eve a year rental to wait for the next years spring market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->