Anyone taking/going to take Progesterone injections for Preterm labor?

corrie anne

Mom of 7 girls and 4 boys
Reaction score
This is a progesterone shot that is as thick as vasoline that is given from week 16 to week 36. Every week. This will be my 3rd time using them only reaching 33wks the first 2 times. I have had 4 preterm births that wasnt too early at 34 to 32 wks. I am hoping to get that far this time or much further. Is anyone else doing or going to be doing these shots?

I'm on them with this pregnancy. I delivered at 35 weeks last time. But they aren't that thick, I'd compare it to vegetable oil or something similar. I'm worried about going overdue with them. I can't vaginally deliver a baby over 7 pounds and I'm scared to death of a c-section. This is my 4th baby. First born at 29 weeks, 2nd at 37 and 3rd at 35 weeks. So I was most definitely worried about going any earlier than that. My son was fine and went home with us, he was perfect. We'll see how the shots work. This is my last baby.

I'm on them with this pregnancy. I delivered at 35 weeks last time. But they aren't that thick, I'd compare it to vegetable oil or something similar. I'm worried about going overdue with them. I can't vaginally deliver a baby over 7 pounds and I'm scared to death of a c-section. This is my 4th baby. First born at 29 weeks, 2nd at 37 and 3rd at 35 weeks. So I was most definitely worried about going any earlier than that. My son was fine and went home with us, he was perfect. We'll see how the shots work. This is my last baby.

You must be on Progesterone in oil shots then?? 17P injections are gel-like made in a compound pharmacy. Usually it's so thick it pills in your butt cheeks muscles. :haha: Can cause debilitating muscle aches, headaches and nausea.

POI is stronger in strength than the suppositories while 17P injections are stronger than POI's and are only given to those who've had prior preterm births/losses. It seems as though you've been through preterm births though. I don't see why you'd be on POI. though they do use them at hospitals.

Sadly I'm on 17P. I have 16 more weeks of it but am hoping it will bring me to term.

Do you have the cerclage?? I have Incompetent Cervix so I had the surgery two weeks ago and have been on 17P since wk 16. I'm PRAYING I go to 39wks so baby will be born in Oct. but I suppose I'll be happy is she's carried to term the end of Sept.

I had Jackson at 22wks and he passed away 25 minutes later. :cry: So I'm hoping to go to term this time!:thumbup:

I had a swab at 22weeks to see if i would need these and due to not showing any sign of preterm labour then they didnt offer them to me but offered me a cervical scan at 24weeks which is next thursday.So if my cervix isnt holding out very well im going to talk about this with them.Also i had my baby at 31weeks xx

No I'm on the 17P and they are thick gel but I've been lucky and so far no lumps. I'm lucky they told me. I get really bad muscle pain for about 12 to 24 hours after but then I'm okay. No itching either. There is only one pharmacy in city that has them and the lady that showed me how to do my injections did them in her last pregnancy as well. She said she had really bad lumps and bumps and hurt the entire time. My OB was glad to hear I'm not having any problems and so I am. I hope they work but I'm scared of going overdue :( I don't want to end up with a big baby, which I've never had, and need a c-section. I have 3 kids at home and I cannot have a c-section. I thought I'd have a hard time doing the injections myself but it's not htat bad, except when I have to inject the left side and I'm handed, it's proven quite difficult. But my OB is really good and really supportive with all of this and that makes me happy. And I to my pediatrician yesterday and she said she's had no babies with side effects from either Prometrium, which I was on from 3+5 til 13 weeks, or the 17P shots. So that made me feel a lot better.

And I don't have a cerclage. I've been lucky. I've had 2 LEEPS so I've been monitored throughout my last 2 pregnancies as well as this one and so far so good. It was a little over 5cm last week. Good luck to you!

I never had headaches from them. I have not been to an OB that lets you do the shots yourself. Last pg a nurse did it in office and this time with new OB they said OB will do it until after 28wks which i dont know why. Last pg i had cervical length checked every other wk but i dont know what they will do this time. I am worried. Last pg i started dilating at 24 wks and was to a 3 by 28wks. I was lucky to hold her in longer. I asked about a cerclage and they said no. I go into preterm labor and if i got one it would just get torn out. ouch! So i go in on the 21st and i will get the shot and talk more about checking my cervical length. I am afraid of missing something and everything goes wrong.

If your ob knows you cant have big babies or you are worried about it i would ask about being induced at 37 wks. Or i would stop the shots a wk or 2 early. Is anyone getting the betamethazone shots before hand or waiting to see if something happens? My last ob gives them at 28wks but this ob wants to wait.

I never had headaches from them. I have not been to an OB that lets you do the shots yourself. Last pg a nurse did it in office and this time with new OB they said OB will do it until after 28wks which i dont know why. Last pg i had cervical length checked every other wk but i dont know what they will do this time. I am worried. Last pg i started dilating at 24 wks and was to a 3 by 28wks. I was lucky to hold her in longer. I asked about a cerclage and they said no. I go into preterm labor and if i got one it would just get torn out. ouch! So i go in on the 21st and i will get the shot and talk more about checking my cervical length. I am afraid of missing something and everything goes wrong.

If your ob knows you cant have big babies or you are worried about it i would ask about being induced at 37 wks. Or i would stop the shots a wk or 2 early. Is anyone getting the betamethazone shots before hand or waiting to see if something happens? My last ob gives them at 28wks but this ob wants to wait.

Are those shots to mature the babies lungs? If so, I was told in the hospital I'd get them maybe at 24 wks?

I'm not even thinking about going to term. I more scared of not making it there. Freaks me out! Sunday is the 22 wk milestone with Jackson and I can't tell you how much I want to get past that and past the 24wk viability and all the way to 36 wks.

I'm not all that worried about a big baby. I know they say diabetics can have them, but I'm not convinced. I suppose I'll see in a month right?:haha::winkwink:

I am asuming that is because you gave birth at 22wks. At 24wks baby is viable and that would be a good thing to get at that time. My other obs office had me for 2 babies and knew what i went through. I am worried that i wont be listened to and every doctor likes to do things their own way. I really hope you get at least to 34wks. I heard cerclages are great and work well. I dont think the shots will work this time since it hasnt yet for me. I am hoping to get to the middle of October.

I am asuming that is because you gave birth at 22wks. At 24wks baby is viable and that would be a good thing to get at that time. My other obs office had me for 2 babies and knew what i went through. I am worried that i wont be listened to and every doctor likes to do things their own way. I really hope you get at least to 34wks. I heard cerclages are great and work well. I dont think the shots will work this time since it hasnt yet for me. I am hoping to get to the middle of October.

I'm praying the cerclage works but also the 17P as well. If the 17P stops working and I have contractions they have to take the cerclage out. This whole things makes me scared but I try to push it back and am thankful I have the cerclage and meds this time around. Praying I get to 36 or even surpass that!:winkwink::thumbup: Same for you as well:hugs::flower:

I had it in pessary form and went overdue after a 27 wker

I'm not getting any steriod shots, I didn't deliver early enough to warrant that this time. And here those are given on a case by case basis. All of my OB's patients self-inject. Insurance won't pay for an unnecessary office visit. It's not hard to do. The woman at the pharmacy said if I have problems I can always go in and she'll give it to me but so far so good. And I'll make sure I have him watching the size of the baby. He was spot on with my last 2 by manually palpating my uterus around the baby.

Wow, you are just one state over from me. I was went to St Louis 3 times my last pregnancy. they gave me 5 steroid shots two each time i went and 1 the last time. I kept telling them i already got the shots but they wanted to be sure. She was 7wks early and weighed 5lbs9ozs, a big preemie. I am glad you can do it cause i would be out of luck cause i most likely would be too scared. lol oh might but he is more scared of needles than i am:haha:

I thought I'd be too scared to do it too but thank God the first time I tried I realized you don't to "jab or stab" yourself like they do in the doctors office. If you just put the needled to your skin and push gently it slides right in. She showed me how to aspirate the needle before pushing the meds and to push it slowly cuz it's thick and then pull out quick.

I read your little post, I was wondering how you were doing. I too have incompotent cervix but I just lost my second baby in the second trimester. I had a cerclage (this time) and that held up fine. I started bleeding on Labor Day then had terrible contractions and bleeding the next night. They finally gave me progesterone shots on weds. Long story short was in the hospital for a couple more days, then two weeks later went in for my 20 week ultrasound. When I went in the Dr. said I had NO amniotic fluid left. My baby still had a heartbeat of 167. I was NOT giving up on this precious baby. Unfortunately, went I went back in a week later there was no heartbeat. I went to the hospital that night to be induced. I gave birth to my baby girl the next morning, (she was born sleeping) she was such a fighter for being only 9oz. at 21 1/2 weeks gestational.:angel:
I was wondering when you started your progesterone shots? Also, were you on bed rest? How was the rest of your pregnancy? If you could share a little bit more of your story I would appreciate it. That is if you don't mind!!!!! Every little bit helps.
All this is still so fresh for me (she passed on Sept.28,2011). I don't have any answers yet and it's making me go crazy!!!!
Thanks, Jody

I read your little post, I was wondering how you were doing. I too have incompotent cervix but I just lost my second baby in the second trimester. I had a cerclage (this time) and that held up fine. I started bleeding on Labor Day then had terrible contractions and bleeding the next night. They finally gave me progesterone shots on weds. Long story short was in the hospital for a couple more days, then two weeks later went in for my 20 week ultrasound. When I went in the Dr. said I had NO amniotic fluid left. My baby still had a heartbeat of 167. I was NOT giving up on this precious baby. Unfortunately, went I went back in a week later there was no heartbeat. I went to the hospital that night to be induced. I gave birth to my baby girl the next morning, (she was born sleeping) she was such a fighter for being only 9oz. at 21 1/2 weeks gestational.:angel:
I was wondering when you started your progesterone shots? Also, were you on bed rest? How was the rest of your pregnancy? If you could share a little bit more of your story I would appreciate it. That is if you don't mind!!!!! Every little bit helps.
All this is still so fresh for me (she passed on Sept.28,2011). I don't have any answers yet and it's making me go crazy!!!!
Thanks, Jody

Hi Jody,

As one mother of a loss to another, I'm SO SORRY! :cry::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Progesterone shots were given to me starting at 16wks until wk 35 and 5dys but usually they stop them at 36wks. Both the cerclage and 17P worked well together. We gave birth to our daughter Amelia the day after your loss. :cry: She was born at 38wks 4dys. She did have jaundice and low blood sugar levels.

Sounds like you may be able to chat with some of the women in the IC thread I'm in. I think HelenGee had multiple issues of IC, PTL and PPROM. It sounds like you may have had similar issues this time around.

My story started out with losing my mucus plug while on the road at 16wks from what I "thought" was my fil's road rage". What turns out that may have happened is that my cervix moved some and the mucus plug was lost. I had BAD BV that was untreated because the nurse practitioner then ignored my plea. Because I didn't have a mucus plug, the BV wreaked havoc causing infection and later my amniotic sac to bulge which caused me to dilate 3cm's at 22wks. I gave birth to Jackson Jeffrey at 22wks on October 22, 2009. He was alive for 25 minutes, his apgar score was excellent but his lungs couldn't handle it and because NICU won't intervene until 24wks, He died in our arms shortly after.

It's all still fresh in our minds and we've both been crying on and off even with the blessed arrival of Amelia. Just feels as though someone's missing. As you can see, Jackson's birth/death anniversary is upon us. We were already at the cemetary today.

At any rate, I know how hard it is waiting to see what the reports show. How frustrating it is that this happened even with the cerclage in and how sad the grieving process is. This is such a hard grief to bare for you sweet friend.:hugs: I can only share with you that when you finally reach that full term and get past the scary milestones, holding that baby makes things so much more bareable. I pray the progesterone works in conjunction with the cerclage when you need it next. I'll post the thread I'm talking about tomorrow. HelenGee is the one I think had all those combination of issues and could really be someone who could help you. Oh how I wish you didn't need her though. :nope::hugs:

I know it wasn't asked for, but I wanted to share what has helped me through the grieving process with Jackson Jeffrey's death. It took a year before I could manage to get through some kind of normalcy again in my life. We went to counseling because there was a lot of anger toward my fil, the nursing staff and the Dr.'s that were negligent in the hospital. In that time my faith was tested but I see now where God held my hand and held me up when I could no longer stand of bare to breathe myself. During that time I saw a video of a mother who lost her older son in a car accident. She mentioned a scripture from the Bible that says, "to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord." She said that she looked up in the concordance what it meant to be absent from the body....it said to emegrate but to be with the Lord means to be in ones Homeland.

She said that it dawned on her that her son was waiting for HER in heaven. What I got from that was that Jackson wasn't lost. I wasn't walking AWAY from him, I was walking TOWARD him. We won't all be living forever, one day we'll be "Home" with them. They are very much ALIVE in heaven waiting for us to get home to spend an eternity.

I then read Randy Alcorns book called "heaven" for a biblical idea of what heaven is or would be like. From that book I keep thinking that our son Jackson Jeffrey is in the garden with Jesus running and having a good old time. I know that He is safe and if he can't be with me, I at least know where he is. I'm looking forward to the day I can sit at Jesus' feet holding my son and kissing/hugging him for a lifetime.

So, I gave a bit more than I'm sure your asking for....but hoping beyond hope that you'll find some peace or comfort in the midst of YOUR storm. Knowing your not alone. :hugs:

If I haven't answered your questions well or you would like more in depth information please let me know. I'd be happy to answer more if you tell me what you'd like to know. I hope I didn't affend you in any way and will pray for answers as well all you need for the grieving process and ttc process as well.

Thanks, Jody

Hi There Jody,

Here's the thread I was taking about:

Incompetent Cervix

Come and join us. Helengee has been on a few times. I'm hoping you'll be able to chat with her and find out some needed information.

I also wanted to check in on you.:hugs:

I had them with my son and carried him to 39 wks after having my other kids at 37, 35+5 & 34 wks. They hurt but I feel were worth the pain. I am wanting to get them with this pregnancy But my OB now hasn't heard of doing them and hasn't offered. It's making me worry because I know that I won't go past 34 wks without them and I start having preterm labor at about 20 wks.

I had them with my son and carried him to 39 wks after having my other kids at 37, 35+5 & 34 wks. They hurt but I feel were worth the pain. I am wanting to get them with this pregnancy But my OB now hasn't heard of doing them and hasn't offered. It's making me worry because I know that I won't go past 34 wks without them and I start having preterm labor at about 20 wks.

Can you get a second opinion with another Dr. If they aren't listening you need to advocate for yourself and your baby. Move on to someone who WILL. Grab your records from your other pregnancies where P17 was used. Hold them accountable. It's not worth losing a baby because the Dr.'s are unwilling to listen to you. You hire them, you can fire them. :thumbup:

I pray your listened to and get those shots you've been getting during your pregnancies. :hugs::flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->