Anyone use a babysitting/nanny service to watch older children during birth?

Carrots

Reaction score
My husband and I had planned on having my mom watch my two older boys, but she recently had a stroke and I want her to focus on her own health and just stop by when she's feeling up to it. Has anyone used a baby sitting service or something like Sitter City and Care.com during labor? I've used them in the past.. but it was just for date nights, not something as intimate as the birth of my child. Blarg.

A home birth or having my husband stay home as I labor are not options for me.

I haven't used them but if your worried you could hire somebody and have your mom there for part of the time. She could spend time with the boys while the babysitter did all the hard work.

I have hired sitters through a different service that is local to my area, and had good luck. Since the timing of birth is SO unpredictable, it might be a good idea to find someone now, and have them come do a few more casual playdates with your boys before the big event. Do you have any mom friends you can ask for leads.on local sitters, or nannies who are between jobs? It might be reassuring to have multiple options available when the time comes.

Kids pick up on our cues. If you are (or at least appear) calm and upbeat about the plan, they usually get on board. The idea of having your mom around for familiarity, while a sitter did the hard work, is also a good suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->