April Munchkins 2013- enjoying our wonderful babies!

lol at first I wanted the name Parker Lane for a boy or Parker Rayne for a girl.... DH said absolutely not.... I asked why... He replied "So all the kids can go around saying "Hey they Parkd er in the lane" or "they Parkd er in the rain".... So yea.... I didn't like it anymore.....

Sara is generally pronounced here as Sah-rah, and Sarah is more like Sar (rhyming with pair) ah.

People with strong belfast accents can also pronounce it Sur-ah, which drives me nuts too!! :dohh: maybe I'm too picky!!

I definitely agree about people being able to spell and pronounce the name. I saw a girl in second tri who is naming her LO Ryan, but spelt something like Ryien :shrug:

We have chosen Max as a name for a boy, but it took a while of asking people if they thought it sounded ok with our surname (Jay), as we were worried it would be too short and terse sounding- Max Jay. But everyone I asked said it was fine, so we decided to go for it as we both really like the name Max, but we are giving the full name Maxwell so they have the option of using a longer name if they wish.

Sara is generally pronounced here as Sah-rah, and Sarah is more like Sar (rhyming with pair) ah.

People with strong belfast accents can also pronounce it Sur-ah, which drives me nuts too!! :dohh: maybe I'm too picky!!

I definitely agree about people being able to spell and pronounce the name. I saw a girl in second tri who is naming her LO Ryan, but spelt something like Ryien :shrug:

My name is Sarah too! It drives me crazy when people leave off the "h" :haha:

I saw the post you're talking about with the Ryien spelling, Ryien Jaala or something like that... there were some pretty bizzare spellings of names going on in that thread!

We want names that aren't super common, but we want actual names... not something that's been made up! That's just dooming the kid to bullying forever.

DH and I really liked Isobelle for a girls name, but we've both gone off it, partly because it's *sooo* common right now. We have a few new girls names we like that are less common... but if our print out results from anatomy scan attempt #1 are correct, we won't need them this time! We should know for sure next Thursday what's going on in that department after U/S #2!

US ladies, I need your help!
Do you know how to pronounce the name Imogen?

If yes, please let me know. If no, please tell me how you would guess to pronounce it if reading it from a list or something. :haha:

UK ladies -- What a silly question, right? :haha: It's just a super uncommon name here but one I'm considering at the moment. I just don't want my daughter to have to deal with a lifetime of misspellings and mispronunciations. There aren't a lot of people to ask IRL (like my family) who aren't terribly uncultured (not that I'm Mrs. Fancypants or anything) and since we don't plan to live here much longer, I want to see what the general consensus is on the name from other parts of the country.

Oh and by the way, yes I do know how to pronounce it. :haha: We even considered it for Maisie but after that, I totally wrote it off because of what I assume would be ongoing pronunciation/spelling issues. But since hubby and I are getting nowhere with names, I threw it out again last night and I could tell it's a name he may consider. I'm polling everyone I can to see if that would really be as big of a problem as I assume it to be.

I don't know if I count since I live in the US but am from another country :winkwink:

But I say Ih-ma-jin. And I love that name and wanted it to be the baby's middle name but it was vetoed by DH :(

And I am with you OD'ing on the Tums. I snort when I read the dosage... two measly tablets will do nothing for what I am dealing with here :haha: I always take at least four and have def taken six a few times when I feel like I might die because a hole may burn through my body to the outside world. You need six for that.

My name Candy was unusual when I was at school and I got bullied a lot for it but now I see its becoming increasingly fashionable to call your kid weird names. The majority of names I hear I absoljtely love but at xmas time and party time writing out the invites and cards can be difficult and I dont want to offend any parent by spelling names wrong. Especially names that sound common but are spelt in a weird way. It ahould always be your own choice though on what you like. We chose the name Benson because its unique but still easy to spell and he can shorten it to Ben.

My initial combo is CSA haha I rarely use my initials though so its not important to me.

Candy did you just call your own name weird?! :haha: I have known of quite a few Candy's in my time, but it's definitely a lesser used name, which is nice.

Readytomum (Sarah is an excellent name ;) ) We have chosen Isabelle for a girl. We are so lucky because you are right, it IS becoming very popular in certain places, especially in England, but for some reason in Northern Ireland hardly anyone uses it :shrug: so we get the best of both worlds - a "normal" name, which everyone has heard of, but isn't that popular here. And yeah, there were some very special names and spellings in that thread. It worries me, like Candy said, that when writing these kids names out in future people will ALWAYS get it wrong! Also, I can't wait to find out if scan #1 and the crappy info you got from it was right, and you are team blue!!

Maybesoon...is your scan today? If so, GOOD LUCK! And I can't wait to find out what team you are!

doggylover: I can't wait to find out if scan #1 was right too!! I've always had a bit of a hunch it was a boy, and I have to admit that I have a slight preference for wanting a boy first, so I'll be pretty excited if we are confirmed team blue! But really, as long as LO is healthy we'll be happy!!

maybesoon: good luck today!! Hope LO co-operates and you find out which team you're on!

AFM, today is my last day of teaching! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

After this I just have to go back one more time to administer their final exam, and oh boy, I can't wait to be done with this semester. It's been a great learning experience, but I need some down time stat! Also, today is 21 weeks! V-day is getting closer and closer.

doggylover -- Thanks for the pronunciation explanation! Maybe I've just pronounced Sara wrong forever. :haha: I think here it's mainly used as another one of those "unique American" spellings of Sarah. :winkwink:

ReadytoMum -- Hubby really loves the name Isobel and I like it, too, but I can't get past Isabella/Isabelle/Isabel being so popular. :dohh: Woohoo for your last day!

kirstabelle -- To be honest, I would have expected you to pronounce Imogen correctly because of the person you are. That sounds offensive, probably, but I don't mean it in a bad way! :haha: I just mean we seem to be a bit like-minded in some ways that would lead me to think you'd know how to pronounce and like the name. I know that still doesn't make sense. :dohh: :haha: And I agree with the dose of 6 Tums. That's the number I got to yesterday before they even made a dent in the pain. I swear my stomach was eating itself.

Initials -- I seem to have to consider not only initials, but monogrammed initials as well! :dohh: When we were thinking we'd use Eleanor Olivia, I was irritated because her monogrammed initials would have been EMO. :dohh: Could definitely be worse, and if she's anything like me, she'll never have her initials monogrammed on anything anyway so it wouldn't matter. :shrug:

lol doggylover my name is a bit weird! My mum is a huuuuuuuge Madonna fan and in an interview she said that she would call her daughter Candy, but that never happened, but it's why my mum called me Candy. She does have a song called Candy and Candy perfume girl though.

Readytomum - Isabelle is a gorgeous name :) And hope you had a lovely last day

My little man just got sent home from school poorly. Now I'm on my way to get Connie xx

Verdict is finally in!!! He's all BOY!!!! He's 10 inches long & weighing 12 oz!!! I'll post pics when I get to my computer!!!

Hope everyone is havin a great day!

Yay welcome to team blue maybesoon! Glad he played ball for you this ttime!!! :) xxxx

Maybesoon yay for :blue: !!!!!!

I know you were expecting a girl, so I hope your not too shocked!!

Thanks ladies!! No Steph... I have wanted a boy from the beginning but dh & everyone around me were saying girl so I kinda just gave in. I couldn't be more excited that I got my miracle boy finally after all these years!!!

Maybesoon I am so so pleased that your getting your little boy! And HA! To everyone who thought he was a girl! Mothers know best!

Candy I love that that is why your mum gave you your name! I hope Lucas isn't too sick, and I saw on fb that Aaron isn't well either - here's hoping you, connie and benson all stay well!

Littlespy, I have quite a few American friends, and I have to admit they are big culprits of pronouncing Sarah wrongly - or what I perceive to be wrongly! But I think the way you say it is probably the way they do too, which must be the norm in America. And I'm not going to mess with the people who gave me peanut butter m&ms!

Readytomum, I'm so jealous you have finished for this term! Boo to the exam though, I still have 13 (out of 200 or so!) to mark and cannot find the motivation at all!

Afm, we had a staff Christmas lunch at school today so I am stuffed. Dh was sanding down our wooden floor and managed to hit the pipe for the radiator...cue emergency plumber call out and a £180 bill :dohh:

One more boy and we are all even! Currently 13 :pink: and 12 :blue:!!!

Congrats Maybe Soon!! All that growing, he must've finally been too tired to be as naughty :winkwink:

Little Spy I know what you mean :hugs:

Reading and running, my bus to work will be here in 10 mins! Happy Tuesday ladies x

Ouch doggylover thats an expensive plumber bill!! Stuff like that always happens over the xmas month!! Luke is really poorly hes been in bed. refused dinner and just sleeping a lot bless him. Tomorrow was his first school play. he done it today for year 1 parents. my performance ticket was for tomorrow :( Im gutted I didnt get to see him. He was the donkey lol.
Aaron had put hia back out. He work in the depot at fedex and liftes a heavy box and sprained his back . Hes much better now so hes back to work tomorrow xx

I just made a huuuuuuge roast dinner it was gorgeous I really am loving my food lately!

Lol at "he was the donkey" I'm sorry you won't get to see him, when I used to be a nanny I went to the little boys Christmas play and cried the whole way through! :blush: they are so sweet in them! Hopefully he will sleep his sickness away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->