April Munchkins 2013- enjoying our wonderful babies!

Kirstabelle lol at the names "hooter hider" and "udder cover" :haha: I love them!

Thanks for the info littlespy and ukgirl, I did think it was ok to pump in that time, so got really confused (easily done at the minute)

In terms of peanut butter, my doctor actually told me that while its probably ok, I shouldn't eat too much. There was the school of thought a few years ago that eating peanuts in pregnancy causes allergies, and so I wanted to check at my first appointment as I love peanut butter, and everyone I have asked has been split on it :shrug: I'm eating some anyway. Not like a jar a week or anything, but when I fancy it!

Lily your doctor doesn't sound like he is doing the best job at all. I'm glad you have a lot of other sources of info though, to balance him out.

And in terms of kicking, my LO has also been a nutter this week. I find when I go to bed I can only fall asleep on my right hand side...which baby appears to dislike as they kick up a storm until I move (which I don't do. They'll interrupt my sleep enough when they get here!) last night was actually the first time I have felt a THING - I dunno it it was a little foot or an elbow, but I had my hand on my belly and it was a very definite, kind of pokey, body part being jutted at me!! Which I thought was immensely cool, as up until now I've only gotten generic thumps I can't tell head nor tail about - literally!!

About peanut butter and peanuts: they have folic acid, it is a great source actually and they can't cause allergies. Allergies are connected to immune system problems, so the only way to have a baby without allergies is to take care your immune system with vit c and fresh seasonal veggies. I was reading that having some fresh lemon juice everyday almost completely covers a baby in the womb from allergies. I have 1 fresh squeezed with water every morning when I take my iron supplements, helps with pooping too.

Many women here in the forum have irrational fears and every little rumor can cause panic. Peanuts, milk, whatever it is moms will worry. Many believe in old wives tales too, even if science proves them differently. The right thing to do is use common sense and do a bit of research.

Aw so sweet all our babies are wiggling and moving! Same here he dances all night, I just pat my belly, have happy thoughts and go back to sleep. I can't help but be super happy and grateful I have a little baby in there that is healthy and active!

Oh Lily I didn't know that about lemons! But it's great news because I ADORE lemons, and any excuse to have some is fine by me! Will have to nip out and buy some more on my way home from work!

Also...you are now at the 100 day mark!! :happydance:

I have began looking at breast pumps. I was told not to pump till after six weeks postpartum by the lactation consultant. I have considered taking fenugeek a tad bit earlier with Emme so that i have plenty to come in on time. Usually after my c-sections it takes a couple of extra days for it to come in.

??? Why would you not pump until after 6 weeks pp? Pumping (immediately after nursing) can generally be a great way to increase and/or establish supply and is one of the very first things the vast majority of well-educated lactation consultants will suggest to someone having supply issues. :flower: And given that the first 6 weeks are most critical for establishing supply, pumping (if you need a supply boost) is most critical during the first 6 weeks, too. Do you think maybe she just meant not to pump and then bottle feed so that you wouldn't be introducing a bottle before 6 weeks? :shrug: Because not pumping before 6 weeks flies in the face of everything I've been told and everything I've researched (and the research I've done is extensive). Maybe you just have a special situation I'm unaware of.

I have no special circumstance but because of the spinal block and pain meds they give me during the c-section my milk doesn't come in as fast as in normally should. I have breastfeed my son but it was 7 years ago. I think if you would have read i had no idea either that she recommends not pumping. After reading that i talked to one of my friends who is nurse in L&D and she said they don't recommend it right away so you can have baby learn to latch on and that it won't help with the colostrum either so it is pretty much a waste. But afterwards if it is easier for a woman than regular breastfeeding then it is ok. I really think if you would have read you would see that. Yea so if she gave bad advice then she did but don't make it a point to be hateful about it.

oh no i wasnt saying anything about peanuts being bad, a recent study shows it is fine to eat peanuts in pregnancy, i was just commenting on how the lady was panicking because someone on another thread told her too much of the same food in pregnancy can cause allergy to that food. Not just peanuts but any type of food xx

The contact center report was a huge blow, it said in there that Connie hid behind a sofa because she thought I was coming to get her and another time when the doorbell rang she said ''oh no is mummy here already?'' The contact center lady wrote that my children have a GOOD bond with their dad and he should be allowed unsupervised contact... I cried my eyes out on the drive home after reading the report :(

Aw candy sorry the report was not what you wanted to see/hear! The kids don't see there dad very often do they? Maybe when you give our case to get more supervise contact you could point out that tey are young and impressionable, and woul probably say the same thing about mummy coming to pick them up when they are at a friends, or another relatives house or anywhere for that matter when new toys and places are involved! Kids always do and say things like that! But he has not made substantial effort to be a father as such? Hope you cheer up soon cxx

thanks kealz I know you are right, they would be the same in any situation, she wrote that they called him William instead of daddy then said they have a good bond :/ which was a bit backwards. I'm cheering up a bit already, I have a nice m&s sandwich and went on a bit of a credit card bender :S eeek! :p

Hope you are all okay today xx

Candy, so sorry about the stupid report. I would fight with teeth and nails for my kids to have only supervised visits when it comes to a man like your ex...

I have began looking at breast pumps. I was told not to pump till after six weeks postpartum by the lactation consultant. I have considered taking fenugeek a tad bit earlier with Emme so that i have plenty to come in on time. Usually after my c-sections it takes a couple of extra days for it to come in.

??? Why would you not pump until after 6 weeks pp? Pumping (immediately after nursing) can generally be a great way to increase and/or establish supply and is one of the very first things the vast majority of well-educated lactation consultants will suggest to someone having supply issues. :flower: And given that the first 6 weeks are most critical for establishing supply, pumping (if you need a supply boost) is most critical during the first 6 weeks, too. Do you think maybe she just meant not to pump and then bottle feed so that you wouldn't be introducing a bottle before 6 weeks? :shrug: Because not pumping before 6 weeks flies in the face of everything I've been told and everything I've researched (and the research I've done is extensive). Maybe you just have a special situation I'm unaware of.

I have no special circumstance but because of the spinal block and pain meds they give me during the c-section my milk doesn't come in as fast as in normally should. I have breastfeed my son but it was 7 years ago. I think if you would have read i had no idea either that she recommends not pumping. After reading that i talked to one of my friends who is nurse in L&D and she said they don't recommend it right away so you can have baby learn to latch on and that it won't help with the colostrum either so it is pretty much a waste. But afterwards if it is easier for a woman than regular breastfeeding then it is ok. I really think if you would have read you would see that. Yea so if she gave bad advice then she did but don't make it a point to be hateful about it.

I will be having a c section, and am planning on breastfeeding too.

I had not heard that it takes longer for the milk to come in, why is this? And is there anything we should be doing/ supplimenting? etc...

Thanks Lily I will be fighting tooth and nail in court trust me. xx

Candy, sorry to hear about the report, hope you are feeling better now, a credit card splurge always helps!

Jenny, im having a section too and my milk was non existant last time, not even a few days after. Im not sure what to do this time re bf or ff as i dont want to put myself under too much pressure with it and it was such a relief when i started to ff and not have to worry about supply.

AFM, Not a lot to report other than im offiicially a beach whale! lol
We sorted out all Hs baby clothes last night, there was a LOT! it was all quite emotional!

Final touches today in my bedroom, a little deep cleaning and it is ready for the baby's cradle! I'm going shopping on Friday, I will order cradle+mattress plus a few sheets and maybe bedding , the stroller, bath and changing station, pump, sterilizer and accessories. Do you think the nursing pillow is any good?

OH NO Candy that is terrible news.... I can't believe they write such things after a single visit for just a few hours. As I commented yesterday, when people know they are being supervised they put on their best behavior & you don't see the "real" person. I sure hope things get better & when you go to court they will take the report with a grain of salt & not base their decision on it....

As for peanut butter.... I would die without it. I eat it almost daily.

Mason hates it when I lay on my right side! He goes bananas kicking like he's thowing a little fit in my tummy. So I won't stay on it long as he refuses to allow me to sleep until I turn back over to my left side or kinda on my back with a pillow under me. He's already a brat!!!! lol

Went to the doc this am. She was very pleased with my weight & how things are going. I go back in 3 weeks on the 29th then every 2 weeks until Mason shows up!!! I have my glucose test on Friday!!! Keeping my fingers crossed I pass the test!!! lol

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!

Steph -- LOL at "puppy in a burlap sack." :wacko:

maybesoon -- My experience was that no one but the lactation consultant on staff at dd's pediatrician's office knew anything about what was going on. I don't think she gave me the best advice for my situation, but I also know that I made a mistake in being overwhelmed and not following up with her the way I should have in order to get the answers and help I needed. The LC in the hospital was worthless. :nope: And the ones you see in the hospital can't really do anything other than assess latch and positioning and give you some lanolin anyway, but the one I saw even sucked at doing that. :dohh:

ukgirl -- Interesting about the cow's milk and 3rd tri. I hope they know that means they need to also avoid cheese and anything with casein (sp?) and other "hidden dairy." I personally feel like the calcium that dairy provides is more important during pregnancy but that may be because I'm unwilling to try to stuff myself silly with dark leafy greans to get enough calcium that way. If your baby is having issues tolerating breast milk and is exhibiting colic-type symptoms and has blood in its poo, THEN is the time to cut it all out to see if it makes a different. :shrug: LOL at chocolate and chinese allergies! I'm so sorry about the contact center report. :nope:

JennyJ -- Here's a great resource for breastfeeding after a c-section: https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/c-section/ I would add to the "Avoid supplements" section that a supplemental nurser is a great way to give baby supplements if medically necessary (like if your milk takes several days to come in). :thumbup:

lily -- I took my birth class at 36 weeks with Maisie. I was the farthest along in the class (but they only offered them once a month and it seemed best to wait for 36 than do it at 32). Also, if you wanted natural birthing classes, a lot of them run over a LOT of weeks and have sessions that only start at certain times. I know I started looking into them at 20 weeks with Maisie and had already missed the window to join in order to complete it before my due date. :dohh: IMO, you need quite a bit more than a baby and boobs to breastfeed. :) You also need support, education, and adequate biology and hormone levels. It's supply and demand but there can be huge issues with both of those things. Supply is based on your anatomy and your hormone levels. Either or both can be out of whack. Demand is based on your baby's ability to latch and transfer milk. There can be a multitude of issues there as well (sleepy jaundiced baby, tongue/lip tie, improper/ineffective latch, and more). It's not that you or baby are doing anything wrong, but there are so many cases where something is amiss and the mother wants to resolve it but there's no medical support for it since it's such a "natural" thing. It's very natural, but especially with the way today's society is, it doesn't always come naturally. Think about all the support women would have had with breastfeeding a long time ago, back when most everything was "natural." -- huge families, mothers and sisters all breastfeeding very openly -- tribes of people working together to survive. Even if you had supply issues, someone would be there to help nurse your baby because so many people around you would be lactating and everyone in your tribe would want your baby to survive. Society is so hugely different today. That is the exact kind of mentality that caused me to get the shit shocked out of me with my first breastfeeding experience. My reality was so different than my expectations (partly my fault, I admit!). It is very difficult for some women/babies (and relatively quite simple for others!). But regardless, it is VERY worth it! Sorry for the rant, but seriously. :haha: The medical community "supports" and even pushes/forces breastfeeding but their actual support for breastfeeding women is such a joke! I'm all done now. :flower: (and now with the way I came across to Mommabrown, I feel the need to add the disclaimer that this rant is absolutely not directed at you! It's mainly just one of my general disgruntled rants directed at society/medical professionals. :haha: ).

mommabrown -- I know you're under a lot of stress right now. :flower: My intention was certainly not to be hateful to you in any way. I actually was trying to be understanding that it's possible you have a special circumstance and that was a reason for her suggestion. My goal was simply to let everyone else know that you had gotten bad advice. That's nothing against you, it's against the person handing out the advice in the first place. :thumbup: As you can see from the conversation here this morning -- there's talk of other women on BNB panicking because someone on a thread told them something unfounded. I know everyone here is intelligent and can certainly do their own research. But there is so much we feel like we need to know and if you all are anything like I am, I've started trusting a lot of what people here say! I didn't want a seed of doubt planted in anyone's mind that a breastfeeding mother shouldn't pump at all for 6 weeks pp. I hope that makes sense. Again, absolutely nothing personal and I hate that it came across that way!

I will be having a c section, and am planning on breastfeeding too.

I had not heard that it takes longer for the milk to come in, why is this? And is there anything we should be doing/ supplimenting? etc...

No no no you have nothing to worry about. You will have colostrum for the first couple of days then it should start turning into milk. Mine takes about 5 days or so to turn from colostrum to milk because of the prolactin that doesn't increase very fast for me. It is just the way my body reacts to it. I was told i could take fenugeek and eat oatmeal and drink lots of water to help it change from colostrum to milk sooner than my 5 + days. I don't want anyone thinking that this is normal for all women who have c-sections but it is one of those things for ME. So please don't rely on my situation as something that is normal for everyone.

Final touches today in my bedroom, a little deep cleaning and it is ready for the baby's cradle! I'm going shopping on Friday, I will order cradle+mattress plus a few sheets and maybe bedding , the stroller, bath and changing station, pump, sterilizer and accessories. Do you think the nursing pillow is any good?

I very rarely used the Boppy nursing pillow for nursing after the first few days with dd. I found a couple of bed pillows worked better for our situation and the Boppy became incredibly frustrating for me (it would shift around and squish down and didn't seem to be the right height for us in any nursing position). I am sure other people LOVE the Boppy. My LC had a Brest Friend pillow which I personally much preferred over the Boppy but I never got around to buying one since the nursing strike started pretty early on with us and I ended up exclusively pumping for so long. I'm under the impression (based on comments from others) that it's better for younger/smaller babies than older/bigger ones. I'm personally alright with that because when I finally got Maisie nursing again at 3 months, a simple bed pillow or throw pillow was all I needed to lounge and nurse in the cradle hold at that point. So, this time I'm going for a Brest Friend pillow (I kept both of my boppy pillows, though, since they're useful for propping up baby or tummy time).

Ukgirl sorry to hear that hun. But with my LO's especially my oldest has more and better memories of her Dad and I being together so she has the big attachment with him and used to hate when she didn't get to spend time with him on the weekend then had to come home to me. She would throw fits. It wasn't that she has this great bond with him it was simply she hadn't seen him in awhile. After six hours there is no way they can prove that he is initially qualified to keep them without supervision. I would request several visitations be made and observed so that once the children are around him more they start showing their true colors. We all know how kids can be around someone they barely see. Mine did the same thing tell they had to live with him now they are singing a different tune.

Melissabump I thought i was the only one out there that had this problem. Before youngest DS they didn't push to BF so my others were on formula. This time around I am going to try what LC told me to do eat oatmeal, take fenugeek(either in the tea or supplements) and drink plenty of water. Hopefully that will help do the trick!

LittleSpy your right i am sorry as well i am really under a LOT of stress and the way i read that it aggravated me. BF wasn't pushed as much as it is now. In 06 when i had youngest DS was the first time they even spoke of breastfeeding classes at the clinic. The used to pop a bottle in there and some formula and don't even bother asking the mother what she wanted to do. So i am back to learning all about BF with Emme. I am not sure why she insisted that but i see after reading up and lengthy phone calls that it is ok.

As for peanut butter i can't really stand it with Emmaleigh. I am also amazed that someone said not to drink cows milk...I would die i drink about a gallon a day by myself!

Afm, I had a bad night...talked with DS and DD on the phone and DS was bawling...I asked him what was wrong and his dad took the phone away from him and made DD talk to me. She wasn't allowed to tell me what was going on either..after him telling me he is scared of his dad i am now worrying my freaking mind off :cry: My sister and I got into an argument because she is such a selfish bitch and blows her check on makeup and stupid shit rather than pay her bills then wants to borrow money.:growlmad:So i apologize if i have taken anything the wrong way I am just having one of those days were I want to just throw my hands up and file all this shit in the I don't give a fuck folder!

Candy, sorry to hear about the report, hope you are feeling better now, a credit card splurge always helps!

Jenny, im having a section too and my milk was non existant last time, not even a few days after. Im not sure what to do this time re bf or ff as i dont want to put myself under too much pressure with it and it was such a relief when i started to ff and not have to worry about supply.

AFM, Not a lot to report other than im offiicially a beach whale! lol
We sorted out all Hs baby clothes last night, there was a LOT! it was all quite emotional!

If you don't mind me asking....when did milk come in? And when did you decide to ff instead? Im pretty 100% on breastfeeding, unless I can't (which is very rare).

Mommabrown -- I'm sorry you're going through all of that. I'm having a huge amount of personal/family issues right now on top of my problems at work and I'm feeling quite overwhelmed as well. I'm glad that we can be here to support each other rather than be at odds just because we're both going through a lot elsewhere! :flower:

Thanks littlespy, I will go read that now :)

Ahh I see MommaBrown, thanks.

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"