are birthing balls any different from a normal gym ball?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Nickij, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Nickij

Nickij Mum of 2

Just wondering as I can pick up a gym ball at sainsbury for about £6, but the "birthing balls" on the internet seem to be about £15-£20?

2. wishing4ababy

wishing4ababy mummy of 3 gorgeous LO's!

hi hun. I got a gym ball rather than a birthing one for that very reason - they were half the price. my mw said they were the same. :happydance:

3. mer01

mer01 Waiting for brain scan

Thanks for asking this, i had wondered myself :thumbup: cool off to the sports shop in the morning. I wasnt going to get one they are £40 in mothercare :wacko:

4. jojo2605

jojo2605 Mom to Sam & Dylan

Cool! i did wonder this myself! might get myself one now! thanks :)

5. xkirstyx

xkirstyx mummy to Jack and Emily

i got a gym ball from tesco for about £5 x

6. pinkbow

pinkbow Proud Mummy

Hey!! i just use my own gym ball i had...i was NOT paying £40 from mothercare or that...how dear is that!!! :rofl: does the same thing anyways, def worth just gettin gym ball hehe

xx

7. jojo2605

jojo2605 Mom to Sam & Dylan

Seriously though can you believe the exploitation of these places; as soon as anything is deemed 'maternity' it's practically tripled in price... it's so annoying!

8. sam's mum

sam's mum mum of two gorgeous boys

I've just got a gym ball too - don't think there's any difference. It looks exactly the same as the ones they had at the hospital when I had Sam x

9. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

I think alot of places try and sell "birthing balls" as unpoppable to scare women in to buying them. Imagine if gym balls popped all the time, they get far more stick. Mine was about £5 from Argos :)

10. kaygeebee

kaygeebee Mum & Cautiously Pregnant

Just one thing to check - if you do get a gym ball, get one at the right height for you. When you are sitting on it, your hips have to be at least 5 - 10cm higher than your knees to bring baby into the right position. eg a 55am gym ball would be too small for me to do any good, I have a 65cm one, and that's just OK for me as long as it's fully pumped up (and you actually need to measure the circumference -I'm 5 ft 7 and 65cm just raises me by about 8 cm) if I was any taller I'd have to order a 75cm birth one, as I've not seen any gym ones that big.

Gym ones are made exactly the same way, but if it's too small, it just won't be doing what it's meant to in terms of foetal positioning.

HTH xx

11. Maffie

Maffie Guest

Some gym balls do pop. My brother popped mine a few years ago and it didnt deflate slowly :rofl: shouldn't laugh but was funny.
    I've been looking at balls ad wondering if they were any tougher than the cheap gym balls. I know soem gym balls can be expensive.