are richer people happier people?

While I said money can't buy true happiness it can enable you to follow your dream (eg retrain for a new career) and buy fertility treatment for those struggling to conceive. So maybe sometimes money can buy happiness....

I agree with this-one of my relatives won a bit of money on the lottery years back-it was enough to pay or the ivf that got them a Beautiful baby.

Xx

Money makes things easier it doesn't make you happy.

We are unable to have another baby right now because of money and this depresses me more than anything. I wish we could have another baby but because we live in a 1 bed flat that we are unable sell.

That said I would give up everything I own in order to make my beautiful boy happy.

No, the things that have made me really upset in life aren't things money could of changed or fixed, they'd of still happened even if I had lots of money.

I agree with PP. maybe it doesn't make you happy but it makes life a bit easier. We have a bit more money than we did a few years ago and even just having the burden lifted a little bit has improved our lives so much. We were able to leave our old house, rent it out and rent a better one. My OH hated the stress of being the sole earner so he is more at ease and content.

I def don't care about bling crap or pointless showing off stuff - my mum keeps hinting at me to replace our old car but I will be driving that thing until it falls apart!!

My OH and I do pretty well and I'm not gonna lie, it makes me happy to be able to afford nice things and not worry about bills. In saying that, I like good-quality things but I don't have much of a taste for luxury labels or extravagance.

I like being comfortable but I wouldn't make a very good wealthy person. Like, I could never own a Ferrari or a $5000 handbag. I find that level of luxury gross.

When I worked in banking before becoming a sahm, some of our richest clients were our most miserable so in their case no. I don't think the things that can be bought truly satisfy the human soul.

Having enough money to cover your needs and most of your wants will probably make you happier than not having enough but being richer than that won't necessarily make you even happier, some people will always want more and more. And of course money can't buy things like love.

I like good-quality things but I don't have much of a taste for luxury labels or extravagance.

I like being comfortable but I wouldn't make a very good wealthy person. Like, I could never own a Ferrari or a $5000 handbag. I find that level of luxury gross.

This is exactly how I am. I like good quality stuff because it lasts but Really not into flashy stuff and bling. It really doesn't impress me. Makes me upset that people could spend $5000 on a handbag when there's people who can't afford to eat. :nope:

I think... in a sense.

Money can offer stability and stability certainly makes me "happy" Of course people with money have hardships like everybody else, they get Ill, their family might have problems.
But in a general sense I think yes.

Interesting i think money in a lot of cases does make you happier and more in control like you don't have to worry about bills and the main reason why me and my DH fight is always about money.

I think for some people it does. if that amount was enough and they didn't then want more/waste it/let it cause problems with friends and family and had loved ones to enjoy it with.

Like someone else said, you wouldn't have to worry about bills and of course, you'd be able to have all the nice things in life, not just material, but experiences, holidays, visiting other cultures, learn to fly a plane, see the northern lights, explore the jungle, as far as you want to take it. Having money can open up so many doors in life and allow you to enrich your life in ways you never dreamed of, but that's ONLY if you are that sort of person. Though not everyone chooses to have those experience and are happy with what they have or don't like travel or material things etc and are already satisfied with their lifestyle.

Others prefer material things/going out/drinking... spending and for some of them it's like trying to fill a hole that can never be filled. (you know that feeling when you bought something to cheer you up and it did, for a minute?)

Just look at the celebrities, they can get up and do so much with their lives, travel, hobbies..anything and some of them choose alcohol and drugs. Money surely didn't make them happy, and money can never fix the bad things in people's lives or the scars you walk around with everyday.

I suppose it's like saying 'would a shiny new house make you happy?' everyone would answer differently depending on how it could change their lives and what they want in the world.

I think money would make me happy because there's so much i want to experience and can't.

I'm going to go against what most people probably say, but yes, I do think "rich" people are happier.

Money struggles are some of the worst issues families and couples can ever have. Money has the ability to make your life a living hell or easy breezy. Money without love and compassion can be very lonely too. There always needs to be a middle ground to keep you human.

What she said. :)

I used to think you could be happy with money then I actually seen with my own eyes how unhappy someone can be. Sure you would have a different set to someone who has less worries. I would love my bills paid and to buy what I wanted, I think that would make me happy. But I know people with a lot of money and they get used. Messed about, abused even stolen from. Taken for a ride and they end up alone and trusting no one. That breaks my heart becuase its other people who are sneaky. So now I believe it cant buy a certain type of happiness, really depends on what you think happiness is.

I think it makes things easier. When i was growing up we had balifs coming around and my parents worrying if they could buy food. My dad still bought things like computers and cars and we didnt need which created problems due to in part him wanting to keep up with jones i think. Now me and dh have own house with mortgage, a car and can afford billls, food etc snd im a sahm. We are not flush with cash but im very happy. I tried a long time for lo and i was unhappy, now i have her she is worth more than a winning lottery ticket, i would rather have her than be rich. We have overdrafts which slowly paid off. It does depend on definition of rich as in first world countries we have a different definition to third world countries. Although we struggled growing up i was still happy. Its your ideas of needs to. When we were struggling we canciled sky tv and budgeted my friend who struggles sees sky tv as a need not a want

I agree with a PP, its not always about material things - it's about experiences. The experiences you and your family can have last a lifetime. How many times have you heard or said, "that's a once in a lifetime experience"? I've had one of those. And if it weren't for my DF's family paying the $5300 for EACH of us to travel China/Tibet, we never would have been able to have those experiences (they offered, we didn't ask for it). Did we need to do that? No, of course not. Could we have used that money for something else - absolutely (but you can always find an excuse to use money for a more "serious" matter?).

When I say money makes you happier, I'm not talking about being filthy stinking rich (i.e. I feel like upgrading my plane to the new model and then buying another vacation home in Tahiti). I'm talking about living life they way you dream about - in a realistic way. Taking yearly vacations, not freaking out when your car breaks down, not being in a panic when you need to pay your mortgage/car payment/insurance/registration/credit card bills in the same week. Living...plain a simple. Yes, I still believe money makes you happier. :D

ETA: Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go day dream about which yacht to dock at my summer beach house in the Florida Keys. :rofl:

If we had more money, I would certainly feel less depressed about things. I'm always worrying about whether we're going to have a bombardment of bills come through the letter box and if we will have the money to pay for them.

Also, where we live doesn't have many things to do. If we had more money I'd be able to afford to take LO and myself to places and wouldn't be stuck in doors all day. If we had more money I could fund my artwork more and be able to paint more but with canvas and paints being rather expensive it's a rare thing to do.

If we had more money I'd be able to come home and see my family more often. Right now I am lucky to see them twice a year. If we had more I would probably see them 6-8 times a year.

I think it can make you happier, but money certainly can't buy you love, friends or family.

Absolutely not.

I know a lot of people believe that money would make life easier, but having a lot of money presents its own problems.

That being said, I have experienced having no money and have experienced having a lot of money and I would personally choose to have the money!

Absolutely not.

I know a lot of people believe that money would make life easier, but having a lot of money presents its own problems.

That being said, I have experienced having no money and have experienced having a lot of money and I would personally choose to have the money!

Ha ha, yeah, what's the saying? Money doesn't buy you happiness, just a better class of problems.

Two major factor a) - what is to be 'rich'? like in another thread is it just to live comfortably to afford small luxuraries ect or to win the lottery and nevr have to work again?? b)what makes you happy? some ppl love there work, other would love to afford to stay at home.

Money does make the world go round...ppl get ill from the stress not having money can cause...but then those that have lots can afford the best medical care.

money cant buy family, but can pay for IVF or make you more favorable for adoption, can allow you to have more children.

There sooo may variables there could never be an straight answer. but im sure in 99% of case ppl would rather have money and hope for the best.

My inlaws are filthy rich and they seem pretty happy with their big house and fancy cars, fancy clothes, weekly trips to the salon, and fun vacations- but I often think about how that's a life that seems appealing but would be horrific to live in. They have this attitude about them where they only care for themselves and use their money to control those they love. Anything nice they ever do for you will come back to bite you in the butt because eventually they'll think you owe them for that one nice deed.... They also are so worried about what everyone thinks and constantly trying to one up others or shove what they have in your face.

When I think about all of that, I'm really glad I live a simple life just grateful for the things I do have. It's probably a harder life full of more worried about money but I can't imagine living that life.

I do know a few others , though, who are very wealthy whose personalities are so genuine and kind. They use their money for good and help others. That's how I'd like to be if I ever had money.

Lastly, I hate calling people with money 'rich'. I was pretty poor growing up and my dad always used to tell me he was the richest man in the world because he had us. What a great way to look at life and what really matters. After all, when you die- its not like you take your fancy cars with you. I don't think money makes a person happy. Happiness is something you have to earn and look for in life. Doesn't matter if you're rich or poor- you can still be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->