Asmtha - What are the symptoms?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by xxEMZxx, Jun 8, 2011.

1. xxEMZxx

xxEMZxx Guest

Liam is 1. He has had a couple of colds since he was 6 months but he seems quite wheezy and chesty a lot of the time without the other symptoms. I'm taking him doctors tomorrow but just wondering if it could be asmtha or something else?

2. laura1991

laura1991 Mummy to Lily

The wheezing, shortness of breath, the doctor will notice a wheezze on his chest, cough worserns at night too x

3. pianobex

pianobex Well-Known Member

it is very likely that it is just an upper respiritory cough that babies and toddles get, and is nothing to worry about. My lo has had an on and off cough for months and i take her to the docs but it is never in her chest just a bit flemmy. It went for a while recently but came back. Is you child at nursery, as he will get lots of little bugs etc, my daughters cough started as soon as she started nursery.

4. XfairyhopesX

XfairyhopesX Mummy to my Pixxie & WTT

awwww aidens just the same often v raspy and he doesnt cough to clear it thanks for this xxx

5. chatts

chatts Well-Known Member

Ditto! She's been at nursery since Feb and often has blocked nose particularly in the morning and sometimes I'm saying to her to cough as I can hear it in her throat but I've had her checked a few times and it's never on her chest.

I think it's meant to improve as they grow and their tubes grow too

6. MissCherry15

MissCherry15 Mummy of 2

I wouldnt put it down to athsma, they cant diagnose athsma officially apperently here until 3 but after lillys 3rd athsma attack she was confirmed athsmatic like me and now has an inhaler, she shows no symptoms accept heavy breathing like myself x

7. chrissy&marty

chrissy&marty Well-Known Member

8. sun

sun Mum of 3

Nighttime coughing can be a symptom of asthma - that was one of the things my neighbor's daughter had. xx

9. wishuwerehere

wishuwerehere dh, me and 2dds

My asthma gives me a very distinctive wheeze when I breathe out. I wouldn't worry about asthma until she's older, it's pretty difficult to diagnose in young children because they get coughs and colds so often