ASPIRIN the magical cure for miscarriages??

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the person who started this thread and everyone who has responded since. I have had 2 miscarriages in a row, the first was an empty sac discovered at the 12w scan, and the second was an early loss around 6 1/2 weeks. I am young (25), very healthy, and have no real history of M/C in my family (my mom had one, but she's the only person in my family that I know of). They don't do testing around here until you have 3 M/Cs.

All this to say that after reading all of your threads, I've decided to start up baby aspirin, at least until I see my new doctor (I'm moving to a new town) for my first appointment on April 2nd. I realize that you should really start it on a doctor's recommendation, but with 2 previous losses, no diagnosis, and no major side effects, I'm going for it until my new doctor tells me otherwise. If nothing else, I feel good that I'm doing what I can to be proactive about baby's survival.

Thank you!

i have a question for all of you. They mention that aspirin increases the risk of early miscarriage, but why don't they specify that it's with regular doses? Surely 81 mg and 325 mg won't have the same effect? I'm just confused

i have a question for all of you. They mention that aspirin increases the risk of early miscarriage, but why don't they specify that it's with regular doses? Surely 81 mg and 325 mg won't have the same effect? I'm just confused

As far as I know there isn't any concrete experimental data out there delineating where the exact line is between "safe" and "unsafe" aspirin dosages (as is the case with most medications when it comes to pregnancy), plus I'm guessing that that line would vary quite a bit between individuals depending on whether they have a blood clotting condition to begin with. So it's probably just easier for them to present the fact that a potential risk exists and then leave it up to individuals and their physicians to figure out how significant that risk is relative to potential benefits.

Of course, based on the literature that does exist (and all the stories here!) it seems pretty reasonable to say that low-dose aspirin is safe regardless of your medical history, but without solid experimental evidence to back that up it's not surprising that medical authorities would be reluctant to take that stance officially.

Hi melfy, sorry to read about your latest loss :hugs:

I think it depends on your situation. If you have a clotting issue, aspirin is highly recommended. If you don't know whether you have a clotting issue but want to take it, there is a case for this, too. If, however, you have a haematoma that is causing bleeding then I think the risk is 50/50 that your bean will make it. It seems logical that taking aspirin in that situation and increasing your bleeding would probably tip your odds more towards a miscarriage.
Do you have a link to where you have read that it can increase the risk if miscarriage? It's not a claim I have come across.

Also, something to bear in mind is that aspirin crosses the placenta so as with all medication that can affect your baby medics will want to keep the dose to a minimum. How little can you give with it still having the desired effect? At the moment the consensus is somewhere around the baby aspirin dose (75 or 81mg, depending on where you live). In some cases two baby aspirin are prescribed but generally only if there is a specific reason (just having a clotting factor is not always a reason for this). It's not a sure thing as ethics will just not allow the running of controlled tests on pregnant women.

Hum so I looked online, and clearly some people are confused...they claim that NSAID increases the risk of a MC, but when I read those studies, it clearly says: the use of NON-ASPIRIN NSAID...so aspirin was not included in those studies. I feel really dumb right now:dohh: Well obviously regular doses are not advised, but BA is just fine.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749174

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749174

I know BA has nothing to do with my miscarriages (if anything, it just kept the bany alive for a few more days). And since I'm on it, it's soooo much easier to get blood draws. And I don't even bleed more, it stops as soon as they take the needle of. I am just very confused as to why i lost 2 in a row, both very early. I really need to get some progesterone. Who know...

Melfy, I hope you get the progesterone :hugs: I hate to say it, but you could just have been unlucky and there is nothing wrong with you. Your next bean will most likely be a sticky one :thumbup:

If, however, you have trouble conceiving quickly and you wish to pursue testing ahead of the normal wait until after three losses, you would possibly be able to request it due to your age. I take it that the 77 reference is due to your birth year and some time soon you'll be 35? I'm not 100% sure but I think the NHS is ok with referrals to a recurrent miscarriage clinic after 2 losses if you are over 35. You'd best check that locally or with the girls on the recurrent miscarriage thread...

Good luck in any case and sticky :dust: to you Xxx

Melfy, I hope you get the progesterone :hugs: I hate to say it, but you could just have been unlucky and there is nothing wrong with you. Your next bean will most likely be a sticky one :thumbup:

If, however, you have trouble conceiving quickly and you wish to pursue testing ahead of the normal wait until after three losses, you would possibly be able to request it due to your age. I take it that the 77 reference is due to your birth year and some time soon you'll be 35? I'm not 100% sure but I think the NHS is ok with referrals to a recurrent miscarriage clinic after 2 losses if you are over 35. You'd best check that locally or with the girls on the recurrent miscarriage thread...

Good luck in any case and sticky :dust: to you Xxx

Melfy, first of all, I am so sorry for your losses. I also had 2 losses in a row with no explanation. The theory my midwife was going on is that Ive just had bad luck. However, no one did any testing.

I totally agree with what Petitpas says here. It could be something, it could be nothing. I know my local hospital does offer testing if you're over 35 with 2 losses, so if you are, its definitely worth looking into if you feel ready for it (from what I read, those tests can be quite time consuming and in some cases a bit intrusive, so you need to weigh it and see what's right for you). At 25 with no family history of problems and perfect ultrasound images of my physiology, the only kind of tests I was ready to do were blood test (and those werent offerred, though I'm hoping my new doctor will be able to do them for me. In the meantime I'm on the baby aspirin train, since I've read that it can only benefit you (and not harm anything) during early pregnancy.

Obviously I have do idea of what the outcome of this pregnancy will be, since I'm not even 5 weeks, but I have to say that for some reason, it just feels different (in the best of ways). Good luck and best wishes to you and your family. If you ever want to talk, feel free to send me a message.

:hugs: :hugs:

Thank you so much for your support, it really means a lot to me :)

I live in Canada, but I think it's pretty much the same. Nothing until 3 MC in a row, and I'm ''only'' 26, so there's not much hope. Maybe we just got really unlucky...but it's so hard. I will at least try for the progesterone. It's really not expensive, and it's not gonna do any harm if that's not the issue. But I'll get my sticky bean...WE ALL WILL!!!

Melfy sorry for your losses :hugs:. You will get there, people who have miscarriages get there in the end. Aspirin is perfectly safe to take in the baby dose of 75 or 81mg. Every doctor I've seen has told me that. I agree with everything petipas and hopeful have said. Good luck to you Hun x

I see you're pregnant now! Congratulations! :yipee: hope this is your sticky baby. Are you taking the aspirin?

Oh melfy, I've just seen your update on the RMC thread :cry: Big floaty thoughts to your little one who fought so hard!
I hope that now your docs will finally run all the tests on you. It takes a while - some tests they prefer to do six weeks after a bfn and it can take six weeks to get the results - but it is worth it to know what is or isn't the problem so you can put together a care plan to get you your forever baby :hugs:

Thank you petitpas. Yes he did fight hard, but the fact that HCG wasn't going up the way it should makes me think maybe there was something wrong with the baby...or me. It's weird, I was expecting to bleeding to be really heavy, but no. Yesterday I had some really painful cramps (like a 8 on a scale of 10), only to realize later I had passed what I assume was the placenta and the baby. so sad:cry: I'm still crampy, but almost no bleeding. I bought those super big sanitary napkins (kinda looks like a diaper:haha:), turns out I only needed the super thin ones. I'm not gonna complain though. I have an appointment with my doc in 3 weeks. I will ask for the annual blood test (TSH being one of them), and some progesterone for the next time I get pg. I found a place where I can get tested for miscarriages, I just need a letter from my doc. I really hope it works out!!

Oh and the 77 doesn't mean anything, I'm ''only'' 26, so they're in no rush to do any tests...

Lol, I'm glad you are 'only' 26 although of course that isn't a reason to hold off on the tests :hugs:

Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: Yes Brody arrived in March 2012
Pregnant now? / Weeks? No

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Not pregnant

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? I took 1 baby aspirin a day until I was about 14 weeks

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? I had 1 pregnancy which resulted in my eldest son who is now 3.5 years. Followed by 2 MMC and then started taken aspirin on my 4th pregnancy which resulted in Brody

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? You bruise more easier but a small price to pay

Any more treatments during pregnancy? No

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? No early pregnancy clinic said they wouldn't tell me to take it, but would not tell me not to take it

So I'm curious if/when you ladies stopped taking the aspirin? My doctor and I never discussed this and I ran out of my 81mg pills two days ago at 34w3d. I decided not to buy more since I've read that you're supposed to stop around 35/36 weeks anyway, but now I'm starting to worry a little.

I'll definitely be talking with my doctor about it during my appointment on Monday, but in the meanwhile I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Ever taken aspirin before? / outcome of pregnancy?: No
Pregnant now? / Weeks? Yes, 5 weeks

Taking aspirin for present pregnancy? Yes

If taking aspirin now what dose, when did you start taking it, when do you stop taking it on a BFN cycle? I started when I got my BFP, and will continue throughout my pregnancy

Any successful pregnancies where you took aspirin? I have never taken asprin for my previous pregnancies. I have 4 live children I have given birth to. I had an early loss between 1 and 2, and last year I had 2 2nd trimester losses, 17 weeks, and 15 weeks. We are hoping this will help.

Any bad things you know of about taking aspirin in pregnancy? nothing that I am not willing to deal with.

Any more treatments during pregnancy? Yes, Metformin (PCOS), progesterone/prometrium and extra folic acid, and vitamin D

Any diagnosed reason for taking aspirin? Just my 2 2nd trimester losses. Hoping for a miracle.

Hey lovelies thought I would join you.

Lost our first baby in October 2010 in a MMC at almost 10 weeks (Sprout stopped growing between 5-6 weeks) and as I am at the critical time this time round I thought what the heck. My loss counsellor/midwife actually mentioned it in preventing miscarriages when I spoke to her last year.

Have taken my first 75mg dose this evening but will be ringing my GP tomorrow to confirm that it will be fine. My mother had a stroke due to a blood clot at 35 and although I have been tested and my results were 'normal' I understand that this can change during pregnancy.

Will let you know what GP advises tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->