• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Asthma in newborn? Acid reflux?

MyFavSurprise

Reaction score
Has anybody dealt with this? My son has been hospitalized for breathing issues twice (he's one month old today) when he was born he had aspirated meconium and had a pneumothorax but did very well in recovery..then 2 days after being home we were at the emergency room for cyanosis and he was admitted with rapid breathing but again did very well and was home quickly.

Last night he had trouble breathing again with retractions in his chest and ribs that made me nervous but it went away on its own.. I did make a video of it that maybe I could email if anyone has any ideas or insight on what could be causing these episodes.

I also worry that he has acid reflux, both which I am going to get checked out..but he spits up a lot, some of which seems painful..and he will scream for the bottle or breast, then pull of and arch his back and scream, spitting it out, and then scream for the bottle again.. could the breathing be related?

thank you

If he is having breathing difficulties he may not be able to suck and breathe well at the same time ? Babies with reflux do arch and scream too. Definitely take him back to the doctors and contact your health visitor x

My daughter is a little different in that she doesn't have breathing difficulties exactly. She has apnea of infancy of a mixed origin. This means that the severity of her reflux is partly responsible for her apneas. She doesn't struggle with breathing as such, no gasping etc, but she does stop breathing sometimes. I would imagine that reflux can contribute to other types of breathing problems than those my daughter has. Could your baby be aspirating (breathing in) what he refluxes? This could cause issues like you describe.

I would definitely see your g.p with your concerns and request to be referred to a paediatrician given your baby's history of needing to attend hospital.

Also big hugs, it is horrible to see them struggle:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"