Atheists/Agnostics, how would/do you hand your LO being exposed to religion?

I was raised as a catholic and went to catholic school but I am now an atheist. I have no problem if my children chose a religion when they are older and would definitely try and educate them about different people's beliefs. The person I think we might gave trouble with is my MIL. She is a Christian and previously told SIL's children that because their mother did not share her beliefs she was wrong!! No way would I stand for that. Anyway, we will see what happens...

We'll be teaching Sam about all the various myths and legends, the local Celtic ones like Fionn and the Fianna, the Greco-Roman ones like Zeus and Jupiter, the Germanic and Norse ones like Freya and Thor, etc. We'll also do bible stories (and stories of other popular religions) in the same vein. He'll learn that these are all stories that some people believed in throughout history or still believe in today and that way if he is told things about God/heaven/etc by my in-laws he should be able to work out that that is what they believe but not necessarily a fact. We'll also always try to answer his questions about life the universe and everything with as much scientific facts and credible theories as he can understand at that point. If we don't know the answers to his questions we will research the answers together or, if humankind doesn't know the answers, openly discuss the various possibilities with him. That way he will grow up with a rounded knowledge about what people believe alongside a strong understanding about what people know and how they found it out.

My mother is very religious and has occasionally asked me if I have found a church yet, even though I have expressed to her time and time again that I do not believe in her god. I am sure she will ask if she can take my child to church. I am prepared to say no and to ask her to not try to talk to my child about God in order to sell God to my child. I am pretty certain this is going to cause some strain between her and I but it is very important that my child not be indoctrinated by my mother. I cannot prevent my child from being exposed to religion, but I will do my best to teach him or her that different people believe different things and that everyone should be treated with respect as a human being.

I call where I live Jesus Land because almost everyone is a cheerleader for Jesus. I know that my child will inevitably be introduced to the concept of prayer and kids at school may talk to him or her about their god but if my child questions how I believe, I will tell him or her. If he or she wants to follow in others' footsteps to be religious, he or she will be free to make that choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->