Autoimmune diseases and TTC

sarah2211

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis when I was 8 which turned into Lupus. I've been pretty lucky compared to others with autoimmune diseases but have had a few organ issues, mainly liver and kidneys and joint flares. I have been on a few different meds but was doing well and my rheumatologist said I could come off them. If I flare I'll just go on a short course of prednisone. If that doesn't do the trick we might need to stop trying while I go on meds to get it under control.

I tested negative for all the clotting related issues with Lupus.

My doctor said that Lupus shouldn't make it more difficult to get pregnant but I read that it can.

Anyone else in a similar position? I'm feeling a bit of pressure to get pregnant or I could flare and then we will have to wait to try.

Hi,
I'm not exactly in the same position, but sort of similar. My husband has an auto-immune disease and we're under a similar pressure due to meds too. Living with someone off the meds with an auto-immune disease, I know it is hard and I just wanted to wish you all the best and I really hope it works out for you.

Have you seen an obgyn? If not, I'd recommend doing so. Even if you haven't been trying that long, you're circumstances are special and you want to give yourself the best shot, so maybe see an obgyn and explain the situation so they can help you achieve what you want, even if it's just a reassurance that everything hormone/woman issues wise is all good and healthy and then at least you'll know you're good to go with ttc xx

Hi Webby. Thanks for sharing. What autoimmune does your husband have? I know the meds can affect male and female fertility so I feel for your husband.

We are just waiting to see a gynaecologist. I have PCOS so I'm hoping they can help. On top of the pressure to get pregnant before I flare, my husband is in the army and could be deployed in the next year or so for 6 months. Hopefully the gynaecologist will understand and he more likely to help us!

i have Hashimoto's disease and an underactive thyroid.
I really hope this is my month, so far it's looking good. I really want to get pregnant without any help from docs... :(

thank you for your husbands service. my hubby is in the navy.

Mrsbrrs, your chart is looking fantastic. Fingers crossed for you. How have you refrained from testing yet!!??

Thanks, I'm not actually from The State so people don't usually have that response when I say he's in the army haha. But thank you :)

Hey Sarah 2211 - my husband has ankylosing spondylitis and is having hip surgery in a few weeks as well. I hope timings work out for you before your husband might be deployed - an extra complication in the TTC journey!

My friend has PCOS and got pregnant. She said charting really helped her and she said after she had her baby, her cycles are longer than usual, but regular which has made a big difference to now TTC#2.

Oh I'm so sorry. AS isn't much fun. I have had sacroilitis and that is some of the worst pain I've had. I hope his surgery goes well. That'll obviously add some more challenges for you both TTC?

Thanks, it all adds that more pressure and stress to it but I'm trying to not let it get to me. I know PCOS can make things more difficult but I'm hoping it's not going to make things impossible. Thanks for sharing :)

Hi. I also have lupus and found getting pregnant pretty easy. I was previously on the depo injection so I had to wait until that had wore off which took 3 months for my periods to return and by month 5 I was pregnant with twins.
My pregnancy went great, I had a few issues while pregnant but nothing lupus related. And didn't flare after giving birth. I do have the clotting related issues but just had a daily injection to thin my blood. Both babies were born healthy at 35+5 due to me showing signs of preaclampsia and twin a was showing signs of grow restriction but that could have just been one of those things not necessarily due to lupus. But she was healthy when delivered and no special care was needed
I'm currently trying to conceive baby number 3 and have had the all clear from my luous point of view from all my consultants and obstetrician
If you have any questions just ask ��

Thanks Wilkie that's really reassuring. I don't have the clotting issues but have low platelets. My rheumatologist is pretty hopeless and just said that I'm ok to go for it and I'm not high risk. At this stage we are still struggling with TTC.

Good luck and hope you are only here for a short time!

Sorry to hear about your rheumatologist, Sarah. That's really frustrating. My husband only got diagnosed officially at the beginning of this year, but already I'm so thankful for our rheumatologist who is very understanding and proactive in our situation. Things like that can make a big difference. Here's hoping that this will be your cycle! Xx

I have Raynaud's which I've heard can interfere with implantation and can cause early miscarriage due to poor circulation. There isn't a lot of info out there about it though, so it's hard to research.

I decided to start taking low dose aspirin to help improve circulation, and also will be planning to exercise daily. I checked to make sure the aspirin wasn't going to interact with any of the vitamins I'm taking and I was glad I did, looks like there is a minor interaction for fish oils and aspirin. So I quit taking fish oils.

Thanks Webby. I think a lot of it has to do with moving around a lot with my husband's work. I did have a good rheumatologist and GP where we use to live. But then we moved to the other side of the country.

Bellenuit, raynauds can feature in lots of autoimmune things. I didn't really think to research that. I might see what I can find. I did read that if you're taking low dose aspirin when you are TTC you need to continue them after conceiving. Stopping them suddenly can cause issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->