Baby Bugs Due February 2013

My eldest used to gain 4oz a week as a newborn which is the bottom end of normal but absolutely fine.

Elodie is only 12 days old but is still very sleepy, to wake her up properly before feeds I am changing her nappy or stripping her off a bit, she is getting more and more alert though.

If Ruby is a bit jaundice it might be making her more sleepy x

Thanks. I do her nappy but she is sleepy. Maybe I'm just expecting too much at four week old x

Hi ladies,

Will try to catch up with the thread later. Saw the HV on tues and Theo has gained 13 ounces in a week!!! I think it's because he's using my boob as a dummy. Was driving me insane yesterday as he kept on falling asleep on the boob, then waking up when I winded him so wanted the boob again to go to sleep but then I'd need to wind him again and it was a vicious circle. Introduced the dummy last night and it saved my sanity. I do feel guilty for doing so but him using my boob to get to sleep was making his wind horrendous and he's getting colicky, and driving me insane.

Theo used to be really sleepy and would have to really wake him up to feed. Now he's too awake after feeds so it takes forever to get him to sleep then he doesn't wake up in time for his next feed. Why are things so complicated??? The MW said he should feed every 3 hours but it takes 2 hours from start of feed to get him to sleep so he only gets an hour sleep if I wake him up. Not sure if I should carry on feeding him every 3 hours in the day or just wait for him to wake up naturally. Any ideas?

Sorry if I've missed anything crucial on here. Hope you ladies are ok :hugs:

I thought the 3 hour feeding rule only applied until they regained their birthweight????

Yeah if leave him tbh now if he is gaining and just feed when he wakes for it. Dont feel bad about baby as happy mum = happy baby!!

...And I am sure it was 4 hours when I had my daughter 2 years ago!

If he has gained 13oz in a week he is getting what he needs so I would let him sleep and have a nap yourself :flower:

Well I have just introduced a pacifier too, Lia doesn't really need it but helps when she is especially fussy and I don't know what's wrong!

I need some advice! Since I am alone and my hubby is back home due to work, I have been co-bedding with LO, I didn't even try to put her in her cot (since like MrsSwaffer I have had trouble BFing at the start) so I ended up having her on my breast all night to get the latch right and then now just for convenience (where when she wants to eat I just roll over and lay down and she just drinks herself to sleep and I fall asleep doing so)

Now, I am pumping and introducing a bit of formula (1 or 2 bottles a day), and have no idea what her routine is during the night.. I want to try to pump milk that will last for the night with just a bottle of formula in between so I can get a bit of a routine in place.. Any tips or advice on this situation I am having? hehe :shrug:

I am not having this exact situation but you could try what I am doing with feeding from one side each time and pumping the other - that would give you enough pumped milk to get through the night and make sure your supply stays up. One thing though, I don't know how you'd go the whole night without pumping or feeding without your boobs about to explode...? Mine are so sore and leaking after about 4hrs that I have to feed or pump!:shrug:

Oh God no, I think I may have expressed myself incorrectly.. that's what I get for blabbering on haha..

I meant, instead of just sticking LO on my boobs and falling asleep I would like to have a routine.

at the moment what happens is, she fusses next to me, I wake up and lie her next to me and give her one side, I fall asleep and after what I am sure is only half an hour she starts kicking and fussing next to me so I turn and put her on the other side.. I'd like to have a routine where I wake up after a good 3 or 4 hours sleep and feed her, whether that be a bottle or pumped milk whilst I pump some more as she feeds... makes sense?

At the moment I am just sure she keeps losing latch and falling asleep then fusses very quickley because I thought its more convenient to have her in bed next to me (plus I am so attached to her but this has to stop soon) :shrug: I hope I am making sense now

Oh ok - Well if I understand you now lol, I would just set an alarm for 4hrs post the last evening feeding and then try to offer her a breast and then set another 4hr alarm from there. If she wakes up before then you can just reset the next alarm. You could also try different positions if side lying makes you too sleepy. :)

Morning!

My little one has got reflux. He's always bringing his legs up and grunting. :( He never cries out in pain though, so I don't think it's a bad case. After every feed, I wind him and keep him upright for a bit before putting him back down.

We're off to meet the antenatal (NCT) girls again today. Another girl has finally had her baby, so I'm now not the only one from our group in the mummy club! I can't wait to meet her little girl. :)

I thought babies vomited a lot with reflux - no?? Hugs and have fun!

Morning everyone.

Faida, I don't know what to suggest, sorry.
Embo, goodluck and fingers crossed it's not.

We had a good night too!! 11pm till nearly 4am.

I got Ruby weighed and she is 9lb 4oz so nearly a lb in two weeks. Is that good?
Ruby is also being referred to the hospital for her slight jaundice, got a blood test next thursday :(

Hope your all ok and having a good day xx

They want them to be gaining an oz a day - there are 16oz in a lb :) so yes you are doing above average:flower:

I forgot to update everyone on Jacks news with his ultrasound scan! As some of you may remember, I had to have regular ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy because they thought there was something wrong with either his liver or gallbladder.

Well, he had his ultrasound on monday at 3 days old and the scan showed no problems with his liver and a slightly enlarged gall bladder. All of his blood tests came back fine except one of his liver function tests was too high but they were not concerned! The paed's and the consultants were all happy with his results and scan report and have just asked us to come back in May as an outpatient for a check up on his progress! :D All that worrying for months for nothing! They said just to treat him as a normal healthy baby!

His jaundice has been quite severe though, on monday at the hospital they wanted to keep him in for a few nights to treat him but with the blood results coming back all fine they let us go!

That's great!! :happydance:

GF as long as he's gaining weight I'd let him sleep at night - I would try to keep him on some sort of schedule during the day though - helps train them on what's day and time for awake and what's night and time for sleeping. I try to let Whitt have one good long stretch in the day (3-4hr) but then try to keep him on a 2-3 hr schedule for feeds because if he doesn't during the day, he will at night and I'd rather him sleep longer at night! xx

So do you leave your babies now? Only feed them when they want during the day? I've been trying to get a routine going and it's working.... Although she just took 2oz at 2pm and is now screaming for milk, which she is drinking... Now I'd next offer her milk at 7pm (even though that when my girls go to sleep and my mates are coming for tea) she has knocked my routine out by an hour, lol x

We are doing the same jem give or take half hour here and there if we are in car etc but yeah we are having the same time of routine x

I hadn't even thought about putting Theo on a routine yet.

Poor little thing has got bad reflux, is vommitting loads after feeds and in his sleep so it wakes him up and becomes unsettled. Dr's prescribed infant gavison, hopefully it'll work!

we only have a "routine" due to the other 2, Jade has to have a bottle at about 7am so she has had time to have it and have a nappy change before school run. This then gives me till 10ish to run errands and drop the kids off without rushing to feed her or have her upset. The same goes for afternoon she has to have a feed about half 2 to go up school and then this gives me time to make the kids tea at 5 without her wanting a bottle, when the kids are fed it makes it easier to sit down and feed her. x

Fingers crossed the gaviscon works for theo x

Gflady ive done it because Ruby has to fit in with the girls and schools
Runs and family life :)
I'm feeling really strange tonight, not liking it, think I'm going to either be poorly or maybe a bit anemic? Guess this is my come down from pregnancy :(

Is anyone else still having night sweats? X

Jem, definitely still have nights sweats!

Weston isn't really on a routine yet but I do let him wake on his own to feed. He never goes more than 5 hours at night (but that is unusual--usually it's no more than 4) and never more than 3 to 3.5 hours during the day. He is definitely getting bigger and seems very satisfied so I trust that he will wake when he's hungry. I found out very quickly that if I wake him up he is VERY cranky. MUCH happier baby if I let him do it himself.

If you get them on a routine what do you do if crying for food in between feed times? Thomas has only slept for about 40 mins all day. Just saw mw- she said he is scared of missing something. She thinks he may have colic :( but got to go doctors as could be silent reflux or a bit of both. Started on coleif tonight - hope it works. Xx

I find if jade is over tired she sleeps worse!
If jade is hungry between feeds il feed her. Some days she adds an extr feed in as they have loads growth spurts but I genuinely try and work out if she is hungry or not first xx

Thanks ladies. A routine does sound great.

Theo gets cranky when he's overtired (like today) and takes ages to settle x

:hugs: to the moms of babies screaming in pain from reflux - i know it is not easy - :hugs: and hope the doctors can get your LO's some relief.

:thumbup: to the babies sleeping 2+ hours - seems a lot of them in here are doing thatt - that's fantastic - well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->