Baby in pool

Jen09

Reaction score
How old do they have to be before you can put them in a pool, on a float of course? No one has given me an answer, even though I'm only curious. Does anyone know?

My swimming pool has a policy of not under 12 weeks
Some are 8 weeks,

And you could always take them in the bath as a practise run before hand if you wanna get them started quick :D

I would say after all there jabs at 16 wks but dont think there is a rule x

We were told not till after their 4 month jabs... but its your choice if you wanna risk them catching stuff. Im sure most pools in this country would be perfectly fine anyway? :shrug:

Think ill be waiting tilll after jabs, just cause im a worrypants! :blush:

You lot are soo much more clued up. I knew thewy had a set of jabs but I have NO idea other than the ones at birth and the MMR what they are! Think I willl post now.

Ref the pool. My local one is outside and only open in the summer so will be waiting till next year as I dont want to exposed him to direct sunlight yet.

Im planning on taking her, asap, as my parents did and as a result of which i kept my 'diving reflex' which has been a brilliant aid to me and made me a very good swimmer. I hope to manae to do the same for my Lo
If her swimming echnique while shes been in me is anything to go by ive got the next sharon davis in there!

We assumed we wouldn't be able to go under after her first lot of injections, however my hv advised me they can go straight away if you wish. I checked with my local pool and they hold the parent and baby pool time and have them from as young as 2 weeks before. They did however say that it would be best in the parent and baby group as they have the pool temp altered especially. xxxx

When I was a baby I went as a newborn and will probably have this one in the pool pretty young since DS loves to go!

yep i will be taking ours from a few weeks i reckon, as soon as i feel up to it i suppose! i love swimming and def want him to enjoy being in the water.

You don't have to wait until they've had jabs to take them swimming. Seems to be a common myth that you do. No one is necessarily covered after one jab anyway hence why they have boosters etc and i can't see anyone catching much from a swimming pool that an immunisation would stop.

Just make sure the pool you use will be nice and warm as they will get cold very quickly

I think its a left over myth from the 80's and 90's when women were told not to take babies swimming before thier jabs
One of many things opinions have changed on

They used to tell you not to take them swimming because of the risk of Polio, that risk no longer applies partly because Polio is all but wiped out in this country and because of the use of chlorine. I think that docs etc tell you that you shouldn't go until your bleeding has stopped though?

Yep, midwife told u not to go swimming until bleeding has DEFFINATELY stop, not just lightened

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->