Baby rejecting frozen breast milk

Shanoa

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've had an awful weekend. I've discovered that I will have to bin my 1.5L of frozen breast milk because my LO won't drink it!

She rejected two bags before I tested it for myself and it tasted like SOAP!

I've spent the weekend looking online for answers and it seems to be because of an excess of an enzyme (lapise?) in my milk. The enzyme breaks down the fat & helps the LO digest it. Apparently this enzyme is used with fat to make soap which is the reason the milk tastes soapy (freaky!).

From what I have read I can still freeze my milk but I have to scald it before freezing it to deactivate the enzyme. Then my milk shouldn't taste so funky.

My question is, has anyone else encountered the same problem? If so, do you have any tips to help me rebuild my frozen stock? The idea for nearly boiling my breast milk is a bit scary! Is it still nutritious?

Thanks in advance.

I scald all my milk for my frozen stash. I use a munchkin bottle warmer and avent glass bottle. Other brands shattered. I used a thermometer at first but now don't need to. Is extra work but at least you found out early.
Scalding is about the same temp as pasteurization and all milk bank milk is pasteurized yet still so beneficial when prescribed to preemies so I assume scalded milk is still nutritious.

Thanks so much Calif! I hadn't really thought about using a bottle. I will head to the shops tomorrow.

Can I ask what temperature you aimed for and how long should I scald it for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->