baby shower question

babymonkey18

2 boys!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I know I am really jumping the gun here, but I am a thinker/planner so I wanted to get some opinions from those of you at the end! (congratulations!!!!)

I am due the last week of November. My husband is in medical school and from the beginning of Sept until the beginning of November he will be in the surgery rotation. This means longgggg days into the evenings, weekends, always on-call.

I keep reading the best time to have the shower is the month before, but I can't see it being feasible to guarantee my husband can make it, and I really want him there :( . Especially being just a "lowly student" lol, he really is at the disposal of his superiors and has no say in anything.

Luckily Nov-Dec is is OB/Gyn rotation so I hope they will be very understanding to him having to leave what he's doing when I go into labor, lol!

Anyway, do you think it's strange or too early to have the shower at the end of August? His schedule in August is M-F, 9-5 type-deal and much more easier for us to plan an event together. I just feel silly doing that, as I will JUST have entered my third trimester :( . I guess the other option is try to do it early November. That seems better to me, but at the same time it's so hard to say what life will be like then (this is my first preg, I have no idea how I will feel, what if baby comes early, etc). Final option is just do it in October and deal with the fact that my husband might not be able to come...but I REALLY don't want that, he wants to be there and I want him there as well.

Advice??? (sorry so long)

I don't think it is silly at all! Personally, I wanted to have mine earlier (I am due August 1st, having it June 1st) because I didn't want to be huge at my shower. But I think you'll be fine doing it at 27ish weeks.

I would have it early I rather do it early I had mine this weekend n I was really tired at 32 weeks

I had my first at 24 weeks and actually wanted it a bit earlier.

I had mine at 36 weeks but wouldn't have minded having it earlier as I didn't have energy to dance all night with everyone else

I think if u go for earlier it gives you plenty of time to sort things and buy what you haven't already got! I was feelin really stressed waitin for things to arrive I.e my carseat cot pushchair etc at 37 and a half weeks! I feel much better now I have everything! Just gettin fed up waitin for a baby xx

My dad is a doc, he was on his OB/Gyn rotation when I was born!!! My mom has some pretty funny stories about it too haha. Anyway, I am actually having my shower after the baby is born. That's just how we do it around here, 2-3 weeks (or however long mom needs to feel comfortable with it) after the baby is born we have the shower. So that would be another option.

I had my shower yesterday at 33 weeks..and I honestly wish I would have had it earlier. There was a lot of stuff I didn't get and have no idea how I am going to get everything by the time LO is here.

I wouldn't wait until a month before due date... I'd definitely do it sooner. I had my baby shower at 30 weeks and am glad I did because it's given us time to buy things we still needed and now at 35 weeks I'm much more tired and worn out easily!

I had one shower at 32 weeks and have one this weekend at 36 + 2 and I really wish I didn't have to go. :) :haha:

I think 28 weeks would be an ideal time (physically speaking).

wow ladies...thank you SO MUCH for your responses!!! This makes me feel really good about choosing to do it earlier. I guess the only ones I have been to have been the month before and some sites online say that's the "norm" (but I know what works for someone is dependent on THEIR situation!). I just feel really encouraged.

Not like I am going to start planning things yet, haha, but it's good to have an idea and since DH's schedule is crazy, we can look ahead and figure out what works for us reasonably ahead of time.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond, and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Only a little bit to go...so exciting. I can't wait to be there, too :) :hugs:

i had mine at 30 weeks. Gave us plenty of time to get the things we still need without having to spend A ton of money all at once. I'm glad we did it when we did

I had mine at 29 weeks which worked out in the end as I had to be on bed rest not too long after that anyway! I think you'll be fine whenever you want to have it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->