Baby showers.

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
:D Is everyone having showers? If you are a little help please!!

Are you having the shower before or after the baby is born?

If before, when.. (7 months, 8 months, etc.)

If after, when..

Where are you having your shower?

they don't do them, or wedding showers, in the UK. For my neices + cousins kids we had a party after they were born with everyone invited, and each kid got a fisher-price highchair that we all chipped in for. men included, potluck dinner, and no dumb games or pressies you didn't want or need - this was in Canada.

I most likely will not have a baby shower this time. But, my family always buys a gift for the baby if I do or not. I do not want to ask much of Hubby's co-workers as this is not our first baby by a long shot. This may change who knows! update you!

Baby showers are getting much more common in the UK...and I think they tend to have them towards the end of the pregnancy - often times to coincide with maternity leave, but that's just the impression I get from a few girls I know who've had them :)

I had my baby shower last week, 35/36 weeks - just did a spread of party food & everyone came round mine, really enjoyed it and got so much great stuff!!! x

my friend is having one but its really just to give her the baby box we have done her, its not that common here, people just tend to visit the baby and bring a gift

I'm having a baby shower after the baby's born. Not sure how soon after though, but they're not really a big thing over here. I think it will be more of a 'welcome to the world' gathering. My mum and the baby's godmother will be organizing it but I've asked them to keep it simple - just some party food and drinks and some close friends and family.

i'm having one... my friend is doing all the planning for me. i'm due April 3rd, and the date we plan on it being held is on March 14th. so it's about 3 weeks before I'm due. We pushed it back farther just because right after Christmas everyone is usually broke and I didn't want to make anyone feel pressured.
And we're probably doing it at her parent's house as they have a very open upstairs so people aren't cut out by another room.

I'm having a baby shower after the baby's born. Not sure how soon after though, but they're not really a big thing over here. I think it will be more of a 'welcome to the world' gathering. My mum and the baby's godmother will be organizing it but I've asked them to keep it simple - just some party food and drinks and some close friends and family.

This is what I'm doing too :)

We're having an End of Being Just a Couple/Start of Being a Small Family celebration at the end of my first week of mat leave. One of our friends organized it for us and it will be for my husband as well as myself. I think new dads need to be celebrated, too!
We specified that we don't really need anything for baby, that we just want people's company to help us celebrate, but my friend arranged that people can make a contribution to our eco-diaper service as a gift to the baby. That will be really useful and was very thoughtful of her.
Now my only concern is whether we planned this too close to the due date or not! :)

See, baby showers are very popular here and all my friends, co-workers, managers (I'm close with most people at my work lol), as well as my boyfriend's friend's girlfriend's (they're closer with my boyfriend and I just know them) want to come to a shower, so I have to have one with friends.

My grandmother and aunts are hosting a family shower and my boyfriend's family IS invited, but since they live pretty far from his family (an hour drive to an unfamiliar city), I am having another shower with just my boyfriend's family (oh, joy.. just me, alone with the future in laws, lol).

My family showers will be taken care of at my family's homes before the baby arrives, so I'm looking at renting a room for my "friend shower" and doing party foods? I don't want to have them all over to my house and I don't want them included with my family shower, just because my family might think some are a little odd lol. I'll do this one after the baby's born I think so that they can all meet the baby and come to the shower in one shot lol.

Im having mine on friday...yay!!! My bessie mate has organized it...but its just small...some food...and a laugh. Mostly friends. More like a girly night...im so looking forward to it xxx

I am having my babyshower at the end of the first week of maternity leave. I ll be 35 weeks then.

My mom is planning one for around 8 months along..that way what ever we don't get for the shower that we still need..we can pick it up before baby comes instead of thinking I really need a _____but maybe I should wait until the shower. I love baby showers. My friend Kari just had one and she really cleaned up!!! I can't wait for mine!!

i had my baby shower when i was 30 weeks! was amazing, everyone getting broody of the baby things and all the games we had a propa laugh! :D xx

Im having mine on friday...yay!!! My bessie mate has organized it...but its just small...some food...and a laugh. Mostly friends. More like a girly night...im so looking forward to it xxx

awww enjoy your night!!

I had a baby shower come 21st birthday bbq, was 33 weeks at that point. Was great fun

I had my baby shower before (obviously... :rofl: )

I was uh... 32 weeks or so? Yeah, I think that's about right. Since this is our first, we opted to have one large one instead of a bunch of small ones. We rented a room in a church (wasn't "churchy", really nice with couches, tables, bookshelfs and a fireplace) and had food/drinks etc.

As for getting stuff you don't need, it's always a hazard when having a shower. I put registry cards in with the invitations, so people would have an idea on what to buy me. I'd say about 95% of the people who attended got me something off my registry.

I'm having my baby shower this Friday night.I think in Newfoundland we do things a little differently. My mom asked me if I wanted a small one with friends or the traditional with all the community ladies. Well, the smaller one is a lot of work for my mom, as she will spend the whole day cleaning her already spotless house, invite about 15 friends, plan games, prepare food and drinks etc...then spend the next day cleaning up. So I opted for the traditional one where we rent a venue, about 60 people usually come to play cards or bingo..everyone brings sandwhiches and/or cookies/cakes, huge amount of pressies or gifts of money, a bunch of prizes to be won (hostess provides the prizes, munchies and drinks) and seems like everyone has a great time.

I'm 33 weeks and had my shower last Saturday afternoon. We opted for a couples shower with loads of food and drink (alcoholic and not - we don't drink, but many of our relatives do and I think the men appreciated being able to have a beer!)

We invited about 45 people (friends & family), and ~35 came (the others were either sick or are currently out of the province or country). It was a bit of a madhouse with 35 people in our 3-bedroom apartment, but we had a ball. There were people aged 25-85 all hanging around together playing silly games and talking, it was a terrific party. My two best girlfriends organized the entire thing, my husband greeted people at the door and took coats, and everyone mingled and ate until they nearly burst.

I highly recommend registering. We tried, but the store's registry machine has been broken for the past six weeks so everyone resorted to getting whatever they felt like. We ended up with WAY too many clothes and still need to buy quite a few essentials, but the shower gifts definitely put a dent in what we need to purchase for ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->