Baby wearing and carriers?

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
Hi, can someone recommend me a baby carrier? I'm thinking of using one instead of a buggy for at least the first 6 months but don't really know where to start.
Also for those that baby wear permanently what do you do in the bad weather?

TIA :flower:

I used a stretchy wrap with my ds until about 4-5months, then a mei tai until a yr old, then an ergo until he was 3.5yrs
With my daughter I used a wovem wrap from birth, which we still use. But I mainly use an ergo. I've just swapped to a toddler sized carrier similar to an ergo but bigger.
I'd recommend a stretchy wrap like a kari me. I used a calin bleu, which are nice :)
I also stole my dh coat for the 1st 4 months so I could zip both me and dc up in it in the rain :)
I then switched to putting am all in one waterproof suit on dc nut you can buy carrier raincovers x

Thank you, I was looking last night at the close caboo maybe from birth-4/5 months and then switching after, I'm not sure though if that one is classed as a stretchy wrap?
Also it will be the summer here when he is born so hopefully he should be at least 4 months before the bad weather actually arrives, thanks I didn't even think of a waterproof suit which I should have as I have one for LO :)

I used a stretchy wrap followed by a mei tai and also a woven wrap. I got one of my DS's old raincoats and threaded the straps of the mei tai through the sleeves to make a cover. I also bought myself a waterproof coat in the sale in a large that fits around both of us.

Yes, for a new baby, especially in the summer, I'd get a moby wrap or other similar. The close caboo would be sort of classed as a stretchy wrap. It is stretchy, but it's also pre-wrapped. I personally don't like this as it means you can't adjust it as much as you would a moby wrap or other wrap that has to be tied fully in the moment. Some people love them because they just don't want the hassle of having to do it all then and there and they find it easier. So that shouldn't put you off and I'd recommend trying one to see how you get on with it. But personally me, I prefer a moby so I can wrap it myself and know it fits me right. We also have an Ergo carrier, which is great, but they are best for older babies and toddlers. You can absolutely use them from birth, but they're just a bit more clunky. You also need to use an infant insert until your baby fits on their own (basically a thick duvet to wrap baby in so they will fit). This again is totally fine, but it can make it hot. If you're looking for something to use in the summer at first, I'd steer away from this as you'll probably find it's too hot with the insert in on the warmest days. We found the moby wrap was much better for the summer.

In rain or cold weather, we just wore coats that would zip up over her legs and sometimes all the way over her arms if it was really cold, and used an umbrella to keep the rain off the top. For cold when it wasn't always possible to zip her in, I'd also just dress her really warmly on the bottom, extra layer or warm leggings and extra socks. They also make moccasins for their feet that you can get to keep them warm before they wear shoes. Also if it was really raining and I had my hands full (couldn't carry an umbrella), those are the days I'd use the pushchair with the rain cover.

A simple stretchy wrap is best at first, you can learn the one basic knot in like 15 minutes, tons of youtube videos and you can practice with a doll. Then youre set!

Please go look in the natural parenting section lots of great advice and pics

I had a stretchy wrap and also a woven. I enjoyed the stretchy but honestly will always suggest wovens, even for newborns. They are sturdy, last a long time (i'm planning on using my woven again for my second baby eventually) and I used it for 4 years with my first. They double as a blanket, even. I wore my son from the beginning in front carries, back carries, and hip carries. I ADORE woven wraps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->