• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby's last name?

torsie93

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

I haven't even on here in absolutely ages but I was wondering if I could get some opinions on something?

For those of you that are not married to your OHs, which last name will you be giving the baby? Yours or his? I'm having such a hard time deciding! I think my OH will be annoyed if I say I want LO to have my last name but I think it might be the right choice. What do you think??
Xx

Honestly this sort of thing should be taken on a case-to-case basis, is there any particular reason you wouldn't give your OH the last name? Is he unreliable? Do you think the relationship may not last? If you have a stable relationship, have been living together etc I don't see why you wouldn't but again, its a personal thing, it would be silly to give him surname rights if he hasn't made himself worthy but yeah. x

My OH is definitely very involved and I have no doubt that he is totally committed. The only reasons I was having doubts are because I'm not sure if it would confuse LO when she is older that she has a different last name from her mom and my family has been pressuring me into giving her my name as well. I'm just a bit confused really and was wondering what everyone else is doing :) xx

But either way she'd be confused why she doesn't have her dad's name if she has yours?

Our son has OH's last name and so will this baby. It was never going to be my last name for us x

Well unless you know for sure that he's going to stick around then if you love him I say give the baby his last name. But other than that, there is no rule that you have to. I don't have my dads last name because I grew up pretty much with my mother so it felt right having her last name. My little sister has her dads last name but again is pretty much raised by our mother and she feels weird that we all have the same name but her. And her mom is more of a central role then her dad

Jamie has my last name, his father wasn't around my whole pregnancy, saw him off and on until he was 11 months when he started seeing him regularly. Which is why he has my last name instead off his. This baby will have my OHs name, we live together, were going strong and I honestly feel like he's never going anywhere :thumbup:

I was unmarried when I had my son and he was given his father's name. My OH would have been fine with me giving him mine but I felt it was right that he had his dad's name. We had always talked about getting married and I knew that we would one day so it just felt right. Well this past January we did and then I changed my name and so now all three of us have the same name. Since I knew we'd be married eventually I didn't want to have to deal with changing my sons name AND mine (it was painful enough for me! LOL)> Because I woudn't have wanted him to keep my maiden name if I wasn't! :thumbup: But I agree with other posters, it really depends on your situation and what you feel is right for you. I have a cousin who was born when my Aunt was 18 and they weren't married and because my grandmother was the one footing the bill, my cousin was given her mother's last name. And it turned out for the best, her dad ended up being on drugs and other things and my cousin was always grateful to have her mom's maiden name. So my situations and my Aunts were vastly different and I can see the sides of both coins! :) Good Luck on your decision!

Side note: I just wanted to say I'm not a teen...so I hope you don't mind me adding my $0.02! (I just saw the title of the post and didn't pay attention to what forum it was! :))

Completely up to you. I am not married, or even engaged, to my partner of nearly 6 years. He is the father to all three of our children, and they each have taken his surname. That being said, I have been slightly unusual in the choice that I made in having my surname as each of my children's second middle names. Something I wanted to do.

It is whatever you feel comfortable with but you could hyphenate the name so your LO has both. Just another idea.

We were not married when LO was born but she took his last name.

im personally not dating the fob but I'm still giving the baby the fathers last name, just because I guess that's mostly the case. plus my last name is dunkin and i always got made fun of when i was little, people would call me donut. haha and I know the father will be involved in the baby's life so why not?

but then again it is a personal decision, the mother always has a special bond with the baby, especially at first when it's a newborn so i think giving the baby the father's last name would be a good way to honor him and make him feel closer, in some weird way if that makes sense. haha

This is my opinion but I'm giving Adelaide my last name. It's just more for practical reasons really- she'll be with me the majority of the time and I'll be the one making most of her decisions, like medically and what have you, and I just feel it makes more sence. I mean, the FOB is still here and very much involved, but y'know, no one can really predict the future and considering we're only young marriage isn't on the table at the moment so anything could happen in between- especially with him moving quite far away for four years with uni at the beginning of next month. I'd be gutted if she had a different name from me if that were the case. Also if we were to split up and I were to meet another guy and have another I'd have multiple children with different names and she may feel left out and I don't like that :C. But there is absolutely no reason why I wouldn't change her name if we did get married.
OH I think disagrees but I'm only doing what I feel best for her.

I'm not married, nor engaged but my LO has FOB/OHs surname as I plan to marry him and even if not I personally believe my LO should have that connection to his father. xx

My baby will be taking my OH's name, we are not married. I had no doubts (It didnt even cross my mind I just knew I'd use his name) as we've been together for 3.5 years...Yeah it may not last forever, but I know he will be a good dad, he is the dad so I think he deserves his child to take his name :)

Also I prefer his to mine, its the first name we're stuck on! Lol x

We were not married until our daughter was 9 months old, and it never crossed my mind to not give her his last name. It is after all, his child. I knew regardless of whether or not we'd be together forever, he is still her father, and would still be there. I grew up with a different last name from my mother and it didnt bother me one bit (mom remarried after she divorced my dad)

Uhm hi. Due 2 traditional reasons that fob's parents couldnt reach lo had 2 go with my surname

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->