• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Baby's last name?

DD has my last night since me and OH weren't together when she was born. I think that even if we were, I would have wanted her to have my last name anyways. Now that we're engaged and due to marry next year, the twins will get OH's last name. We also plan to have DD's last name changed before the twins get here so they all have the same last name. If me and OH weren't engaged, I would consider giving the twins my last name, just in case. However, OH has shown that he is completely dedicated to our family and will not be leaving us. It definitely is a case-by-case decision.

I am married to my guy and both the kids have his last name: As someone already said, it is really a case-by-case situation. I am a writer, and have a lot published under my name, so I didn't want to take my hubby's. This said, I had no problem giving my kids my husband's last name. I didn't really want to hyphenate, cause I'm lazy like that. :)

It was no question to us, as I'm a traditionalist- she's taking his last name, I just see it as the right thing to do. If he is involved in her life, she deserves his last name, it just so happens we're engaged, but my opinion wouldn'g change if we weren't.

I'm not married to or dating the FOB (we previously dated) and my boy will be getting my last name BUT I am letting him choose the middle name, I told him he choose his last name as the baby's middle name. As of right now the FOB is really supportive and will be in the baby's life but I don't see a romantic relationship between him and I in the future.

It really is a personal decision. If you're not sure, it's probably safer to give LO your surname.
Personally, me and OH have been engaged for a year and together for 2, so even though our relationship isn't perfect - we're going through a rough patch at the minute - I know that we'll get through it. And god forbid if we don't, I know he'll want to be in the baby's life as much as he can, so I'll be giving the baby his surname. Hopefully we'll fix everything that's going wrong at the minute, so when we finally get married, I'll change my name, so if baby already has his name, it makes that easier because we don't have to change LO's surname too!
You could double barrel their surname? It depends whether it would sound right, if you both have surnames with more than 2 syllables then it might not sound right but if it could work, it might be something to consider and compromise over. I know a couple who have done that, they broke up, got back together and then a couple of months later announced they were expecting, so to be on the safe side it seems, to me anyway, they've given their little boy both surnames as a compromise.

I will be giving my LO my OHs last name because I love him and I know that he will be a great father/fiance/husband. However if we weren't serious or in a relationship then I would probably give my LO my last name. Because the mother usually has primary custody and if i got married and had future children the kid might feel left out for being the only one that had a separate last name. I know my sister felt like she wasn't really a part of the family before my mom got remarried because my mom and I shared last names and my sister had her dads name and he abandoned her when she was like 2.

my son has my last name as me and his FOB broke up when I was 15weeks pregnant because he was physically abusive and I didn't want his name on the birth certificate, let alone my son to have his last name.
I want this LO to have my OH last name as I know he is going to be an amazing, loving father (and it would kind of even things out lol Myself and my son would have my name and LO #2 and my OH would have the same last name) eventually I want us all to have the same last name though lol

Even though we aren't engaged or married, our daughter will be given OH's last name. My parents hyphenated my last name, which I hate (seriously, people get so confused at the idea of a hyphenated name and inputting it into computer databases is a real pain in the ass), so I knew I wasn't going down that path. Whether or not OH and I stay together and end up getting married, he'll be a part of Lilia's life so I don't see any reason for her not to have his last name. Even if I were to marry someone else / have more kids with his last name, I wouldn't change my mind for Lilia. She's OH's daughter, not someone else's. However, I totally think it's a case-by-case like everyone else has said. If OH wasn't in our lives, was a deadbeat, did drugs, etc etc I would most likely give her my last name.

I need an honest opinion, since we decided the FOB's last name will be the baby's middle my dad is telling me that it's a girls name but if I'm happy with it then go ahead. I just want to know other opinions since I'm not the one living with the name. McKenzie will be my baby boy's middle name.

I need an honest opinion, since we decided the FOB's last name will be the baby's middle my dad is telling me that it's a girls name but if I'm happy with it then go ahead. I just want to know other opinions since I'm not the one living with the name. McKenzie will be my baby boy's middle name.

no it's fine. it is more popular as a girls name but so is "morgan" and other great names that were originally for boys. mackenzie should be for a boy as it means "son of.." so you're fine, i think it's a lovely name!

Where I live McKenzie is a boys name and a last name so I think that's perfectly fine :)

I'm in the minority here, I think. All three of my kids have the same dad. My first two children have my last name, while my youngest has her dad's. When Aiden and Mady were born, their father and I weren't married, although we were together and planning on getting married. But it was easier for us for the kids to have my last name because technically, I had full custody. Seraphina was given her dad's last name because we were married by then, though. Also, what helped us make the decision is that we knew when we got married, we could easily change Aiden and Mady's last name to their dad's (we just need to get around to changing their last names now :dohh: ) But it really is a personal, case by case decision.

I decided to go with my OH's last name since we will be getting married soon after the baby is born. Initially my mom was confused as to why I wanted to give the baby his last name but once I sat down and talked to her about it she felt more comfortable with it. She knew that after all it was my choice and I didn't really have to take the time to talk to her about it but I did and now she feels more comfortable with my decision.

My son has my last name. His father is very much involved in his life, but I just felt more comfortable with him having my name. We were going to hyphenate both our last names, but it was just too long. OH wasn't to please at first, but I think he understands where I'm coming from. If we ever get married then I'll gladly change LO's name. We plan on doing the same thing with baby #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->