baby's room

spicyorange

Reaction score
I read today that national guidelines say you should keep baby in your room for 6 months, that seems like a very long time to me, I was thinking 2-3 but it says baby's are more likely to die of SIDS in their own room. I don't understand, how me being asleep nearby helps anything, and what about daytime naps, does it mean they should be watched 24/7.I really wish I hadn't read it because it's freaked me out. Looking for a bit of reassurance especially from those who have kids on when you moved then it your room and what are your plans for the next baby? When they wake in the night I'd prefer not to disturb dh too much as he will have to get up for work every day but if I have you keep baby in our room for 6 months I won't be able to do they... does that also mean we can't have a sex life for 6 months, I don't want baby in the room for that!

There are so many different opinions on right and wrong things to do with your baby and you will have to decide that for yourself and your family. Studies have shown that having the mom nearby helps to regulate breathing and heartbeat of the baby, and for a lot of BF mothers, it is easier to have the baby cosleep or at least sleep next to the bed to make it easier for night feedings. BF has been shown to reduce the risks of SIDS so there is a correlation there as well.

I plan on having my baby in the room for at least 3-6 months, mainly for BF ease. But you will have to decide what is the best for you and your baby. You may get there and find that your baby sleeps better in his own room, or you may go into survival mode the first few months and have your baby sleep in your bed just so you can sleep better. There's no hard and fast rules, don't stress yourself out too much. You will not be a bad parent for not having your baby sleep in your room if you decide you don't want to do that.

I agree with Symphony7 it will be whatever works for you. As pp said it is supposed to help babies regulate their breathing if they can hear yours and when they are newborn it is much easier!
We moved DS into his own room at 5 months, I was scared to do it as it wasn't recommended but we were waking him and also I was waking at every noise he made in his sleep. As he was sleeping through from 8pm-5am I felt like it was the right time to move him as he no longer needed a night feed and we were just waking each other up! He's perfectly happy in his own room, I've found it really hard and a big adjustment but it works better for us as a family.

I'm keeping Evelyn in the room with me until she will almost be a year old. I feel more comfortable with her being near me while she is still so young. Like the other night she threw up while on her back and started choking. I was awake, out of bed, and picking her up from the crib within 7 seconds. I can't imagine having to run to another room to grab her if something like that happens again. But it's whatever you're comfortable with, and what works best for you and baby! (it didn't affect our love life to have her sleeping in the same room with us when we visited hubby last month :haha:)

Totally a personal choice as the others have already said. I actually moved into her room when she was born (I was already sleeping in our old bed in there while pregnant cos was only place I felt comfortable) I thought I would do it for a few months but once she was here, I wanted to stay longer. I actually stayed for almost 8 months.

This time around baby will be in with us as where in a different house now. As for how long, I guess I will know when the time is right x

I plan on getting this and having the baby in our room for at least 6 months..

https://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/89/05/14/89051492cd06838c1d5fb79bfb243e04.jpg

The trouble with a lot of these studies out there is that for every one article that says you should co-sleep or your baby will have abandonment issues, there are 5 more that tell you that it is far more dangerous to co-sleep and that baby should be in their own crib in their own room or else you will suffocate them in your sleep. It can be intimidating for first-time moms, especially when there are so many mothers who will look down their nose at you and judge you for not doing what they think you should. (the parenting section can be brutal at times!)

As the other girls here said, you just have to find what works for you and your family, and try not to let these articles freak you out. Most of them are rubbish. If co-sleeping is what works for your baby and your family, then nobody has any right to tell you that you should be doing otherwise. If having your baby in their own crib in their own room works for you, then nobody has any right to judge you for that, either! :) There is no one right answer, and there is no one right thing that will work for every family. Follow your instincts, and you will be just fine :flower:

there are 5 more that tell you that it is far more dangerous to co-sleep and that baby should be in their own crib in their own room or else you will suffocate them in your sleep.

I think if babies were likely to die while sleeping next to their mothers we wouldn't have made it far as a species, but soft mattresses or drinking before going to sleep can make it dangerous to sleep with a baby in the bed.

I agree though that whatever works for mum and baby is fine. We plan on co-sleeping for an undetermined amount of time, it depends on the baby as to when we'll stop.

Yes, it is recommended at least six months. You don't have to give up your sex life, you could just go out to the living room or elsewhere to have sex and then check on the baby once you're done. :shrug: You might find you naturally want to be close to your LO and be able

Our LO will most likely be cosleeping. But they will definitely be in our room at least a year or 2 regardless of cosleeping or cot sleeping.

there are 5 more that tell you that it is far more dangerous to co-sleep and that baby should be in their own crib in their own room or else you will suffocate them in your sleep.

I think if babies were likely to die while sleeping next to their mothers we wouldn't have made it far as a species, but soft mattresses or drinking before going to sleep can make it dangerous to sleep with a baby in the bed.

I agree though that whatever works for mum and baby is fine. We plan on co-sleeping for an undetermined amount of time, it depends on the baby as to when we'll stop.

I completely agree with you, Wombat, I was just trying to illustrate the ridiculous amount of conflicting information out there! Its difficult for first time moms who just want to to the right thing but can't seem to find a advice that isn't contradicted in the very next article you read.

I honestly have no opinion one way or the other just yet. I plan on just taking cues from my LO and doing whatever works best for him or her :)

But this is government recommended NICE guidelines not just some report.

Niamh is 3 next month and still in our room. She slept for the first two years in a cot in our room but when she got ill she refused to sleep anywhere but our bed.

As a species humans are pack animals it's in our DNA to seek out others at times when we feel most exposed and night time is one of them.

Being concerned about waking OH up? It's his baby too, why should he get all the sleep?

Sex life? What's one of those? Even if baby wasn't in your room sex is the last thing on your mind, especially in the first 6 months. If you do decide you want sex then a quicky on the sofa is about all you have the energy for.

Wow dizzy you make it sound so fun! Lol. The difference I'd dh has to go to work I can nap in the day.

Interesting ask the comments about cosleeping but I'm pretty sure I'd squash a baby in my bed so that's not going to happen. Guess I'll see when baby comes when they get to move to their own room.

with our 1st, she slept in our room in her cot until she was 7m (even if we wanted to we couldn't due to room) with #2 he was actually in his own room at around 9 weeks. My little man was a very loud sleeper! He used to chatter, snort, wiggle etc... Me and OH didn't get a wink of sleep so, for trial sake we put him in his bedroom and he has been such a fantastic wee man. We have a sound and motion monitor too. I wouldn't have done this if i thought he didn't like it. He would have been straight back in our room. We introduced him to his room when he was first born and had relaxing music on for him to doze off to which he still loves to this day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->