Bacteria entering vagina causing miscarriage... is this common?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by abc123x, Jan 28, 2011.

1. abc123x

abc123x Well-Known Member

I have been hearing about this a lot lately and it has got me panicing. I have heard it happens when bacteria from the anus or anywhere else enters the vagina and that is can kill the baby, usually in the 2nd trimester. This is really bothering me as I have a weak immune system(2 immune disorders). I cannot have sex, go without showering, anything. I change my panties 2 times a day or I get worried. I cannot find anything about it online, so I am wondering... how common is this?

2. CandyApple19

CandyApple19 Pregnant with #3, PAL.

ive never heard of that in my LIFE!

3. caarmywife

caarmywife Well-Known Member

I was under tge impression thats why the cervix is closed, to protect the baby. And that is why there are antibiotics. Where did you hear this, its pretty disturbing.

4. CandyApple19

i agree!! its not right.... the baby is SO well protected i mean ud have to have faeces in your vagina for a while for that to spread, and what about all the common vaginal infections you get throughout pregnancy?...

5. Lois

Lois Me, OH, Evie & Joseph

I haven't heard of this either. The mucus plug and closed cervix are very effective at stopping infections getting to the uterus. Miscarriage in the second trimester is uncommon in itself so miscarriage in the second trimester via this cause cannot be particularly common.

Lx

6. abc123x

That is what I thought! I actually heard it from a woman who said it had happened to her and that is what the doctors told her. I was very confused as to how the bacteria would get near the baby, but I didn't want to ask because I knew it was a sensitive subject.

7. lindseymw

lindseymw Mother of two boys

As far as I was aware, the only way infections could be dangerous to baby is if you get an infection after your waters have broken? Otherwise, you just get a course of antibiotics. Could be wrong though!

8. chrissy5

chrissy5 Well-Known Member

my sister is in 2nd trimester and she has been having bleeding, doctors diagnosed BV (bacterial vaginosis) as the cause and that can cause preterm labour and bleeding etc BUT it is very easily treated. Other than this I dont know of anything like you have described in my previous 5 pregnancies xx

9. CandyApple19

either she was very misinformed, or the doctors didnt know what to say to her and gave her that story, but i have never heard of anyone losing a baby due to bacteria in the vagina, theres the waters, the mucus plug etc, and you'd know about it if u had an infection that severe, your temp would be sky high and you wouldnt feel well at all. Please dont worry about this, yes it is a sensitive subject for her and i can understand why its scared you, but if it was common, itd clearly say somewhere to take extra precaution how you wipe after going to the toilet when you are pregnant to avoid miscarriage.... It just sounds a little bit silly, there must have been another reason behind her losing her baby but they also found she had an infection of some sort?

10. abc123x

Apparently it was after she had a transvaginal scan. It pushed bacteria in. They are sterile, though, and I thought that if it was an issue, then they'd tell you not to have sex. I was with a family friend and told her about the story and she told me that she'd heard of that before. I was quite stunned.

11. theresarhuebb

theresarhuebb x mother of 3 x

ive never heard of it my self x

12. CandyApple19

they are sterile! and they dont go into your womb nor into your cervix..... =/ if that was the case did she sue the hospital for using dirty ultrasound probes?

13. Babbs34543

Babbs34543 Well-Known Member

i doubt any doc would offer there ultrasound prob as a reason to her miscarriage...also how did an ultrasound prob get "anal" bacteria on it?!! ....

But it's sad to hear of any loss :(

14. abc123x

Well I can see how bacteria from the anus got pushed in, but they do tell you to wipe off before they do it, and I just don't see how it got through there. Either way, thanks for easing my mind. This has really been freaking me out.

15. Noodles

Noodles Mummy to two boys!

Your cervix is firmly shut no bacteria will get to the baby.

16. caarmywife

I dunno- my first scan was at 11 or 13 wks and I had a bacterial infection at the time and didnt know it till all my swabs came back. It seems like if that were a risk, they wouldnt do it?

17. kirsti201

kirsti201 Well-Known Member

I've heard ur not suppose to swim in lakes when your prego bc the water could have bacetria that cam get into ur bloodstream through opening (cuts , scratches n stuuf) but I'm pretty sure it rare!

18. midori1999

midori1999 Well-Known Member

Yes, infections can cause miscarriage, for various reasons. The most common cause of preterm premature rupture of the membranes (pPROM, waters breaking early) is thought to be infection.

I pPROM in Feb when I was 14 weeks pregnant. It was possibly caused by infection although they aren't really sure of the cause. I didn't miscarry, although once the waters have broken 80% of women give birth within 3 days and obviously if this is prior to the time when the baby can survive outside the womb it is a miscarriage. My girls were born too premature to survive though sadly.

Anyway, as a result of the above I am not allowed to have sex, have baths or go swimming in this pregnancy and vaginal exams (which include swabs to check for infection) must be sterlie and kept to an absolute mimimum.

All that said, vaginal infections causing miscarriage is pretty rare, but it certainly does happen.

Just to add, obviously the membranes are behind the closed cervix, so infection clearly can get through the cervix.

19. caarmywife

I am so sorry for you losses. Thank you for letting us know that, I wasnt aware

20. Darlingdamsel

Darlingdamsel Well-Known Member

Another potential issue is called Bacteria Vaginousis (lordly ... spelling?). I have it pretty regularly and its when the bateria in your vagina goes a bit 'off'. You likely know of it when you smell particularly badly and have dark discharge? While its not clear what start it - certain detergents, tight underwear and smelly perfumes are some 'likely' causes.

While its hard to prove - there is research that BV (as its called) can cause 2nd trimester miscarraige and premies in 3rd trimester. Actually I suspected I may have it and went today to the sexual health clinic (where they oddly test for it ... not at the midwifes) to check. Thankfully all is fine.

But I am guessing that is what the doctor was talking about ....

Hope that helps!