Bad scan experience :-(

I wouldn't have complained because it's just a medical scan, it's not for bonding or anything :shrug: I'd be disappointed too though! xx

Oh hun that's terrible. What a way to completely deflate you. I would be fuming I know it. It might be worth a letter or a mention to your midwife. I know these people do this job every day, but it is a special moment for each person having the scan and they often forget this.

I just want to add about the 4d scans seeing as it was mentioned in the first post...and sorry if this is going a bit off the main topic. My friend is a midwife with two children. She didn't have 4d scans when pregnant with hers as she has always been told that ultrasounds should be for medical reasons only, where the benefits of using ultrasound are significant in medical terms. The fewer times baby is subjected to ultrasound the better. She also told me that at any one time in the hosp she works at, which is my local one, between 70 and 80 per cent of babies in the special care unit are from mothers have had 4d scans. She said it could be coincidence but she would recommend scans only on medical advice.

Thank you ladies for all your replies.. Im going to complain its just a bad time of year too so close to christmas I cant see anyone really caring or taking me seriously to be honest!

I'd complain as it is bad bedside manner!!! It's such a shame because I've had a fab experience at my NHS scans, they couldn't be nicer if I were paying them!

Yes, I would complain too!.....you need another scan done (make sure to talk to the manager or superviser in charge, not just an employee)~

i had this at my twelve week scan and was so traumatised by it.

I noticed during my 20 week scan a notice saying that the sonographer has to look at the screen straight on to do their work, and pretty much said that's the way it is get over it. Complaining will not help as their stance is, it's a medical scan to check for anomolies not a scan for the mother just to look at the baby.
It also depends on the actual sonographer as well themselves, my 20 week scan was a totally different experience, so it's just luck of the draw as to who you get. I am sorry you got one who wouldn't angle the screen better.

Still it hurts so much that you want to see what's growing inside YOU and they don't let you. I would go for a private scan

x :hugs:

xxx

I tell you what Im so angry I feel like complaining but i dont want the same woman she was so vile! I said to her i might have 4d scan and she said 'i dont recommend it' I asked why and she said because the ultrasound can harm the baby???? what the f**k? is this true?

No it won't hurt the baby. She was full of crap. If you want a 4D scan go for it! I've heard they are a wonderful experience! If they did harm the baby, no one would offer them because they would be sued into oblivion!

oh gina so sorry your scan was dissapointing, yes i would complain too xxxxx

I'd find out the complaints process and complain, this person is obviously in the wrong job. I work in the NHS and regardless if something is for a medical purpose, clinical staff are still expected to treat patients/clients with dignity and respect and within reason try to make the experience as good or as least distressing as they can. Poor practice is allowed to go on because they get away with it.

With regards to 4d scans, the actual US technology is the same as 2d, the difference is in the more advanced computers used to interpret the signals. There is no significant evidence that US is in any way unsafe in pregnancy, only a small number of studies suggest that repeated and prolonged exposure to U/S MAY be detrimental in pregnancy/linked to M/C and a health provider imo, should not be saying that they can harm your baby. If you want to make an informed choice the research is available out there, but at the present moment imo a health professional can only honestly say that they don't know the effects of repeated U/S and not that they are harmful. That is a blatant misrepresentation of the evidence out there, and opinion dressed as fact.

aww thats awful. i would have complained, and said may i see the screen please!
my 12week one was awful, she showed us the screen but for like 10 seconds and was quite rough with me.
my 20week one, the sonographer was a bit funny with me throughout, OH and both our mums could see the screen and i couldnt so felt like i was missin out, she turned it near the end but for only a few seconds again.

you think that showin people their babies on the screen would be such a delightful job and that theyd spend time and realise how important that time is for the mother.

my auntie had hers yesterday and they couldnt even measure the baby properly cuz of how baby was lay, they told her to go for walk and a drink and come back but didnt say whhy so she spent half an hour worryin.

i dont think the NHS will give u another scan, but i would complain about the sonographer.

My 20 week was soo similar, we have written a letter of complaint to the Unit about the sonographer cos it was so out of order.
MW said that we were not the first to have issues, but unless its put into writing, then there is nothing they can do!
Strongly recommend you write and complain.

That is almost exactly what happened at my 20 week scan last week! It was horrible. I never saw the baby and I was most upset when she just didn't seem to care to tell me what the gender of the baby is...I insisted and she ended it saying that 'finding out the gender of the baby was not an indication of the anomaly scan', even though on my appointment letter it says that they will try to tell me if baby cooperates. I have complained, but to be honest the attitude of most people indicates that nothing will be done.

I have since been for a private scan which was so much better and informative, and you certainly get treated with more respect. The private scan was so good that I am considering going for the 4d scan so that I can buy a video :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->