Basal Body Temps and Should I be doing this? Your Experiences?

ambertwogood

The Twogood's
Reaction score
Ok, so while cruising Amazon to purchase OPKS, At home Fertility tests, Early detection Pregnancy tests, and regular ones, (lol) (I"m starting to see this is a little crazy, haha, oh well.) I see that some of the kit's come with a BBT thermometer (apparently you need one that is made for this for the it to truly give accurate readings bc the fluctuations in temp can be very subtle? ) Should I go ahead and buy one? For those of you who do track your temp, does it really make a difference? I'm using LH's tests already, and of course PT's but would I be doing my self a dis-service by not doing this, or does it really not matter? Has anyone only used OPK's and then started charting temp and finally got there BFP fairly quickly? Do you think the BFP was a direct result of starting to keep track of your temp. I've got all this stuff in my Amazon cart ATM so I'm hoping for some advice so I can go ahead and pull the trigger on the purchase ;) lol. Thanks for all your help, ladies, in advance. The ladies that make up this community are truly a blessings, and that is why I always end up coming back to this one, instead of some of the others, because I just have really grown to love this community of ladies :flower: Just thought I'd add in that so you all realize you do matter and are making a positive difference in ladies lives, esp. mine :cloud9:

I track my bbt but it's to confirm that ovulation has happened, so not sure if it will help with ttc with regards to when to dtd. For me it really does help to pinpoint ovulation and gives me one less thing to worry about (that I had an anovulatory cycle!).

I like charting my BBT, in the beginning it really helped me because I just assumed I was ovulating around CD16 since I have a 32 day cycle and when I started charting I realized I O on CD20 every month. And one month O was delayed by two weeks and I wouldn't have known without charting because I probably would've stopped with the OPK's and just assumed it would be annovulatory.

It definitely has its benefits but with that being said if you are religious with your OPK's that should be enough. Surges can last for only a couple hours though so can be easily missed. Now I feel like I am getting confusing :haha:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not "religious" with the OPKs so maybe I should get a BBT thermometer? Do you just do it in the morning? How do you do it when you are breastfeeding and a your first LO doesn't sleep through the night? (at over a yr old- argh :dohh: ) I know back when we were trying to conceive before we actually got preggers with LO we have now, that you are supposed to be asleep for a certain amount of time before a BBT reading will actually be accurate? Is that right? If so, what do you do when you can't get the "required/optimal" solid sleep?

It is supposed to be the same time each day and after a certain amount of sleep, but that's just not realistic to a lot of people. Is there a rountine to breastfeeding? What's the longest sleep you have during the night? I'm not the best sleeper and can wake at anytime between around 3 and 6, but try to take my temperature as soon as I wake as long as I've had at least 4-5 hours of sleep.

It is supposed to be at the same time. If your LO wakes up around the same time each night I would do it then but it supposed to be done before you get out of bed and are moving around. Preferably after 3 hours of sleep but if you are consistent with the time and amount of sleep they should be close to accurate since it will be taken under the same conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->