Basic advice, considering breast feeding!

Brightxeyes

Reaction score
Hello!

With my first, I didn't do enough research, thought it would come quite naturally, it didn't. I'm not one to want to get my breasts out, even trying to cover up, not comfortable even around my family or the inlaws for stuff like that. I did try, and I simply couldn't tell if anything was actually happening. He may have gotten a bit of colstrum and then who knows. I tried to do it again on and off over the first two weeks, even after my milk came in (it totally came in, my boobs were huge, but they also barely leaked either, and it still wasn't happening. He would scream as if nothing was coming out, and then be sick, a lot every single time) I was getting upset, because he was upset, so I just stuck with formula, he was so much happier and was a really really happy baby. He appeared to have a good latch too so I was confused, didn't really get any support from midwife either.

I saw a post and a lady had pumped enough to last several months.. so I'm thinking I could probably have a go at doing that. Storing a lot, so that it can be used on the go, grandparents can use the milk when looking after baby etc. I can sleep and my partner can feed?

I was looking at the tommee tippee pumps. Wondering whether to just start out using the manual pump incase I end up not getting along with it. I've heard of some mums not producing enough milk no matter what they do, then it would simply be a waste of money.

So then I'd need pouches, and then something to warm the pouches, unless you'd just recommend a jug of hot water rather than some silly contraption.

Any advice on this would be great. What do I need? Does pre pumping work out cost effective too in comparison to formula?

How often are you pumping and how much are you able to pump in a sitting roughly? I'm going to be juggling my business too, so I could easily do pumping whilst doing computer work I'm sure!

If he was screaming at the start of the feed and being sick it’s possible that too much was coming out or too quickly for him to control. It’s also possible for babies to have what appears to be a good latch on the outside but nit on the inside, due to tongue tie etc. I understand the feeling of not knowing what’s going on in them, I often wonder if anything is there at all at this stage, have no leaks or real fullness at all! If you want to pump exclusively you'll be better off with an electric double pump, bare in mind that breastfeeding works on a supply and demand basis so you'll need to pump thecsame amount of tines per day that baby feeds to produce enough. Also if you pump loads extra to build up a freezer stash you'll end up producing that amount of milk every day sometimes it can take some work to reduce the supply again if it gets out of hand! see if you can find some support groups now also find out if your hospital hires pumps then if you do get on with it you can buy one during the hire period, manual pumping took me at least 30 mins per breast!

Well I thought it was odd him being sick, but he was acting starving afterwards. He would throw up after trying the breast, then because he was still screaming we'd give him a bottle and he'd throw that up also. Probably because he was so worked up in the first place. Where as going straight to a bottle he was fine and rarely threw up.

Ooo I didn't know you could hire pumps.

My cousin gave me her pump before, I'm pretty sure I've still got it in storage, but I was wondering if it was okay to use hers and how to clean it properly. I never used it when she gave it me, I wish I had.

Breastfeeding can be tough, especially the first time round when dealing with the new experience of a baby.

It is possible to exclusively pump (whilst trying to establish feeding slowly, took my son 5 weeks to finally latch after trying every day when he wasn't starving so he wasn't getting worked up) I managed with a manual pump - a Lasinoh and it was great. started out using it every hour which was exhausting but had to mimic what a newborn would be feeding. I gradually extended the time between each session and got a routine until I got him latched on. Some feeds were hI'm on me and the rest were me pumping and him taking a bottle. we managed that for 14 months.

I got my pump from eBay (new) for around £9 and didn't need to buy any need parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->