Benefits of bf exadurated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole BF baby's poo smells better is annoying. It's poo for goodness sake! Did they do a study marking poo smells out of 10?

That one is particularly funny to me as well, a United States southerner where the expression, "thinks your ##$# doesn't stink" is an old phrase for someone who thinks they're better than others!

It's very easy to get in a terrific snit over these things when they start to feel like attacks. It hurts to have it implied that your baby is less intelligent or is doomed to certain maladies because breastfeeding didn't work out for your family, or was impossible due to illness, or it just wasn't going to work out for your situation. I fully realize that it would hurt a breastfeeding mother's feelings to be called a weird hippie who was starving their baby or somehing similar.

Everyone is just trying to do what's best or trying to make the best of the hand they were dealt. We're got a long road ahead as mom's; the rest of our lives. There's going to be a lot more to it than breastmilk and formula. I realize that when I think of my 8 year old, and I look at my own mom still worrying and "mothering me" at my age!

That one is particularly funny to me as well, a United States southerner where the expression, "thinks your ##$# doesn't stink" is an old phrase for someone who thinks they're better than others!

It's very easy to get in a terrific snit over these things when they start to feel like attacks. It hurts to have it implied that your baby is less intelligent or is doomed to certain maladies because breastfeeding didn't work out for your family, or was impossible due to illness, or it just wasn't going to work out for your situation. I fully realize that it would hurt a breastfeeding mother's feelings to be called a weird hippie who was starving their baby or somehing similar.

Everyone is just trying to do what's best or trying to make the best of the hand they were dealt. We're got a long road ahead as mom's; the rest of our lives. There's going to be a lot more to it than breastmilk and formula. I realize that when I think of my 8 year old, and I look at my own mom still worrying and "mothering me" at my age!
We have it up here too, I think it's borrowed from you guys though, fitting though, isn't it?
When I see threads on the BFing forums about campaigning for more breastfeeding education because they're dissatisfied with the numbers of breastfeeding going on in their area, I wonder if they really care that much about other people or they just want others to know exactly how great they are? I have yet to meet anyone who formula feeds who doesn't feel guilty enough about it already, more bullying isn't going to help anyone.

I dont agree that it affects intelligence that much, my hubby was FF and he's highly intelligent and I was combifed and I am fine academically too. My sisters kids also seem very bright. I think where I am BF is well advertised and so is FF.

When I see threads on the BFing forums about campaigning for more breastfeeding education because they're dissatisfied with the numbers of breastfeeding going on in their area, I wonder if they really care that much about other people or they just want others to know exactly how great they are? I have yet to meet anyone who formula feeds who doesn't feel guilty enough about it already, more bullying isn't going to help anyone.

What does wanting more education on breastfeeding have to do with 'wanting others to know how great they are'? And breastfeeding education doesn't have to equal bullying. :shrug:

We combi-fed for the first seven weeks and I wouldn't hesitate to give my LO a bottle of formula now if I couldn't pump enough before school, I really have NO issues with formula, honest to god. But the whole reason we were combi-feeding was a result of terrible advice and lack of knowledge on the subject from a few medical professionals. I got NO breastfeeding support after I left the hospital. Zero. So some further education on breastfeeding before I even had my baby, or some information made more readily available afterwards would've saved me from almost giving it up for no reason. I fail to see how that's bad thing, or how that has anything to do with bullying people who formula feed. It's just saying that making people aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and the problems you may face while breastfeeding will help with the rates - and yes, I DO care about other people because I would've been heartbroken if I gave up on it for something that I was able to fix and I would hate for anyone else to feel the same.

What does wanting more education on breastfeeding have to do with 'wanting others to know how great they are'? And breastfeeding education doesn't have to equal bullying. :shrug:

We combi-fed for the first seven weeks and I wouldn't hesitate to give my LO a bottle of formula now if I couldn't pump enough before school, I really have NO issues with formula, honest to god. But the whole reason we were combi-feeding was a result of terrible advice and lack of knowledge on the subject from a few medical professionals. I got NO breastfeeding support after I left the hospital. Zero. So some further education on breastfeeding before I even had my baby, or some information made more readily available afterwards would've saved me from almost giving it up for no reason. I fail to see how that's bad thing, or how that has anything to do with bullying people who formula feed. It's just saying that making people aware of the benefits of breastfeeding and the problems you may face while breastfeeding will help with the rates - and yes, I DO care about other people because I would've been heartbroken if I gave up on it for something that I was able to fix and I would hate for anyone else to feel the same.
I worded that wrong, they weren't talking about breastfeeding education, they talk about educating the public about the "risks" of formula. Breastfeeding education should be there for those who seek it, but it shouldn't be shoved down people's throats who don't want it/can't do it. Moms are good enough on their own at seeking out information on the risks of everything already, they don't need this shoved down their throat everywhere they go. They shouldn't be stopped and "informed" when they're out in public.

Well, baby poo doesn't seem too appetizing to me, changing nappies doesn't spark me as something to get excited about when LO was breastfeeding or is formula feeding ;)

But that's the thing isn't it? There's a massive difference between so education and support. Especially if education is just full of bull crap. I agree their should be support, but there should be support for all mums regardless of their chosen feeding method.

In my area we have the crap filled education, we have high bf rates, we have support for those who bf as long as they exclusively bf. Need to introduce formula in any way? Eff off.

Breastfeeding is better and I think everyone should try it but there shouldn't be any pressure if you choose not to, my sisters kids were FF and no major problems apart from eczema and now they are in excellent health at 4.

However my husband has had awful psoriosis and eczema all his life and it still affects him now to an extent, he is also highly intelligent and he was born in the 70s when formula was king, our EBF daughter has had no eczema or any other problems, I was BF until I was 2months and then FF and I also had childhood eczema and not meaning to toot my own horn but I am also quite intelligent :haha:.

However as everyone has said its all about risk and I dont think formula is a bad thing. I also agree that its all about what you feed them afterwards, my sisters children have had homemade, healthy food since they were weaned and as I said before they are always in good health. I am probably going to wait until 6months and then do mostly BLW.

Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

You know you make a really valid point here about what they're given when solids are started. As I said in my post, I 110% think bm is best but also that formula is perfectly fine, but when talking about allergies etc. etc. and the statistics, is other food considered?

I wish so much that I had support when I very much needed it with breastfeeding. It was very clear to the nurses in the hospital that I wanted to breastfeed. I told them not to give my daughter formula and when they saw it wasn't working out, instead of helping, I was advised to try giving her formula, which I ended up doing on day 3 because she began shaking and wouldn't calm down. I was in this baby feeding lounge area for hours in the night and various nurses would be in and out tending to babies across from this lounge and stare at me and leave back to their magazines in their lounge area. I asked continually for help and would be lucky to get more than a couple minutes of their time. I buzzed a couple times from my bed to also get no more than a couple minute's worth of "help". To this day I don't understand it. :nope: I also had the amazing luck that the lactation consultant working in the hospital was away until the next week on holiday (my baby was born 4 days before Christmas is celebrated here). When I got home the midwife who came to our apartment was also of 0 help. She was always in a rush to leave, once even left her young child in the car and told us she had to hurry to show us how to bathe our baby for the first time because she has to get back to her.:shock: I asked desperately for help with breastfeeding and what I got was her mouth nearly falling to the ground when she saw my breasts and how engorged they were and she said I need to hand express or something or else I'd get sick. She showed me a laying down position to feed my daughter and was out in a rush like usual while my daughter started screaming in hunger and frustration for food. There was no support there for me and to this day I wonder if someone, anyone cared to help an obviously struggling new mom successfully breastfeed, I wonder if it would have worked but I'll never know. :( So, for those who do want to breastfeed I wish so much there was more help out there and individuals willing to give their best to make it a success, who genuinely give a hoot, instead of seeing mothers as just another face, just another day on the job.. and then for all the "breast is best" to be in every moms face to make her feel even better about it all. :( That's just my side of all of this, and I know there are so many other reasons why breastfeeding didn't work out or wouldn't work out for moms. A shame we can't all be supportive of one another instead of continually trying to prove ourselves as parents (and I use "we" in a general sense, not just referring to this forum).

As a dad I was astounded at the pressure on Mums to bf and the appalling standard of support post birth. Almost as soon as our son was born we were given contradictory advice and guidance on an hourly basis. I even had to ask a midwife to leave the room after watching her try to force my son onto my wife who was in tears. After a two weeks of desperately trying to feed a tongue tied baby I did some Googling and went to Coop to get formula. Mum and Baby them slept peacefully for first time in three weeks! Do I feel guilty for being the one who gave in...no way!

I think the breastfeeding propaganda is a combination of insecurity (people who breastfeed need to justify why they're being "so weird") and superiority, once they've become comfortable with their "weirdness", they must also have 'one up' on those who formula feed.

I feel horrible and cross reading these comments.
Did you really mean to say breastfeeders are weird etc?

No I don't think they're weird (that's why it was in quotes), I breastfeed.
I was just saying that I can tell in certain cases people are overcompensating and over exaggerating the benefits of breastfeeding so others don't think they're just being weird for the hell of it.
I've heard over and over how calming and wonderful and what a delightful bonding experience it is, that their baby's s#!t doesn't stink , etc. I haven't found any of that to be true. I know there is indisputable scientific evidence regarding the contents of breastmilk but the rest is just boasting in my opinion.

Fair enough, seems I didn't understand your intentions from what was said

This argument makes me frustrated. It's like you can't talk about breastfeeding benefits for fear of being seen as insecure or superior or boasting.

Fact is that there are people who see breastfeeding as weird. Doesn't mean you're insecure if you try & talk to them about breastfeeding benefits.

Personally I don't tend to talk to anyone except OH about breastfeeding benefits because I don't want to offend anyone, make them feel bad, have them think I think i'm great, or (now I have a new one) insecure about being thought of as a weirdo.

You say you've heard over & over that people have found it to be calming & wonderful etc, but that you haven't found that to be true. That doesn't mean that those people were exaggerating or boasting. People have different experiences.

When it comes to BF poo vs FF I can truly say there is a difference in smell. I gave one bottle of formula to Liam and it turned his nappy into a hazard zone, lol. This is for an exclusive BF baby, mind, not one who's supplemented or on solids as well. The difference between BF and FF poo really is there. I've changed FF nappies, and more than my share of BF ones, and I can say the difference is actually quite pronounced. It's not that BF poo doesn't have an odour; of course it does. It's just a much milder one than FF nappies come out with. I speak from experience.

But that's the thing isn't it? There's a massive difference between so education and support. Especially if education is just full of bull crap. I agree their should be support, but there should be support for all mums regardless of their chosen feeding method.

In my area we have the crap filled education, we have high bf rates, we have support for those who bf as long as they exclusively bf. Need to introduce formula in any way? Eff off.

100% true. Just like there is a massive difference between breastfeeding promotion and breastfeeding support

I would much rather that the money spent spukeing the benefits of breastfeeding (seriously we know its liquid gold) actually went to helping those women who want to actually do it. At the moment i feel that it like "breastfeeding is great! its wonderful every baby *needs* to breastfeed" and when you start to breast feed its "you made the right choice- now off you go I don't want to hear about it if you are struggling"

When it comes to BF poo vs FF I can truly say there is a difference in smell. I gave one bottle of formula to Liam and it turned his nappy into a hazard zone, lol. This is for an exclusive BF baby, mind, not one who's supplemented or on solids as well. The difference between BF and FF poo really is there. I've changed FF nappies, and more than my share of BF ones, and I can say the difference is actually quite pronounced. It's not that BF poo doesn't have an odour; of course it does. It's just a much milder one than FF nappies come out with. I speak from experience.

I know there is a massive difference- but really its poo... i personally would never count this a benefit of breastfeeding or a reason to breastfeed.

100% true. Just like there is a massive difference between breastfeeding promotion and breastfeeding support

I would much rather that the money spent spukeing the benefits of breastfeeding (seriously we know its liquid gold) actually went to helping those women who want to actually do it. At the moment i feel that it like "breastfeeding is great! its wonderful every baby *needs* to breastfeed" and when you start to breast feed its "you made the right choice- now off you go I don't want to hear about it if you are struggling"

Exactly! So agree with the underlined part!

Breastfeeding and breast milk are better on so many levels and I don't think the benefits have been exaggerated, I think in the majority of cases breast milk is best, and I think more support and promotion should be available, but I don't think formula feeders should be looked down on as they often are either.

It's not always best for everyone, personally I HATE my nipples being touched at all, so breast-feeding is really hard for me and its not enjoyable and certainly not a bonding experience, I fact, I would cry every time I needed to feed, cry all through the experience and after, and dread the next feed. However I could appreciate how amazing it was that my body was feeding my baby, what a miracle that is and I can see how some people love it.

My eldest was only breastfed for a week and combination formula and EBM for a few weeks, I enjoyed expressing but couldn't express enough and my son has pyloric stenosis so needed huge quantities of milk which he would throw up, there was no way my body could have met up with the demands he needed, and I found my supply just dwindled, I needed loads of antibiotics for infection and my son preferred formula. Formula was the best decision and I don't regret it.

The twins, ill start with Jacob, was tongue tied, he couldn't latch at all and refused to, I was only allowed to hand express in hospital and I was in for a week, I would spend an hour expressing, for him to have a tiny amount, it certainly wasn't bonding at all as he was syringe fed it.

The other breastfed like a champ, he liked it,but between the two of them I struggled to feed him and express off enough for the other, the hospital kept saying I needed to express much more for the other, my nipples wore sore and bleeding and I just couldn't do it anymore, I switched to formula, they wouldn't let me combination feed but i did anyway. So Daniel was combination fed, until I just got too lazy too keep it up. I regret that as he really liked it and although he was happy on formula he defiantly sought for breast, however it was so difficult formula feeding one and breast feeding the other.

I aimed to give all my children a weeks worth, and considering how much I hate breast feeding I am proud I did that, I really couldn't care less who looks down on me, I tried my best, and I did what I could.

Well I felt pressure on continuing when I went to work. I had to go back when she was six weeks and work with very hazardous chemicals and some days don't even get a minute to go to the restroom much less pumping! I was being guilted by a stay at home mom who says "well we never get sick it is due to breastmilk"....

I in no polite way told her "no that doesn't mean squat you are a stay at home mom and your kids are never around other people...THAT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT!"

My kids go to daycare and we go to church every week....

When I was a SAHM she was fine, but a few weeks at daycare and she's been sick.

I don't care about the poo difference.....I mean it's poo. don't overthink it. when i was BF i never enjoyed cleaning poo. now FF i still don't enjoy it. i had one lactation nurse tell me the poo smelled good! going a little far IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"