BF Baby Not Gaining...

sunnylove

Reaction score
My situation is different than most because my son was born 3 months premature. When he finally started eating by mouth, we started with the breast (I had pumped since he was born). He never took enough volume so he came home on the bottle and we fed him expressed breast milk. Finally after about 1.5 months of that I just said I was done with pumping and said that I wasn't giving him a bottle the whole day, and we just nursed. And he caught on, no latch problems, etc. He was nearing 2 months adjusted age at this point.

We have been exclusively breastfeeding now for 3 weeks and I've taken him to a lactation consultant every week. The first week he only gained 3 ozs, the second week he gained 3 ozs and this last week he only gained 2 ozs. They want him to gain at least 1/2 ounce a day, preferably 1 ounce a day (so between 4-7 oz a week), which he is obviously not doing.

He is now 11 lbs and I guess this is a little below average for a 2 month old (obviously he is being measured by his adjusted age). LC doesn't have a ton of advice except to pump at least 3 times a day, which I just started doing this week. She says that he looks great, he's got a good looking belly, he's really long, etc. Baby is eating every 1.5 hours, does that indicate a supply issue? My milk was tested and it runs at about 25-26 calories which is more calories than formula has! :thumbup:

Could he not be gaining much because we literally just started exclusively breastfeeding? Will it start to even out and get better as the weeks go by? I'm starting to get worried that I am not supplying enough. :(

Not all babies gain weight the same. It could just be normal for him. Was he gaining more when you were giving the bottle?

Some bf babies gain weight at different rates. See he may only gain 2oz this week, next week he may have a growth spurt and gained 5oz etc.

As long as he's content and you continue to feed on demand, he will be fine :thumbup:

Don't doubt yourself Hun, you are doing great!!

If it makes you feel any better LO is still under 13lbs at 6 months.

he is very close to the amount that they are looking for. I would just keep breastfeeding on demand and not use formula. I think you need to give him and you body time to adjust to the demand he needs. Nursing every 1.5 hours is good as it will help to boost your supply. Frequent nursing is the best way to boost your supply. If he is happy and content and is gaining steadily then I wouldn't worry too much at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->