BF in a jacuzzi?????

The analogy about sunday lunch and formula feeding is easy to understand really. It's about the fact that you have to take something that is not on your body into a pool. So in that respect, no, taking a beer into a pool ISN'T the same as breast feeding, it's still taking something that isn't on your body into a pool.

Have I said that it's ok to breast feed in a pool because it's easier?

No?

Stop putting words into my mouth then!

I'm saying because it's completely natural as in the female body makes the milk, then it shouldn't be classed the same as food and drink. Yes, it's food but it's a food that is made by the body, dispensed by the body and there's no foreign objects to take anywhere.
I don't see how arguments that say milk might get into the pool or baby being sick in the pool can be used here. As a lactating Mother, my boobs leak. Fact. So without feeding my daughter, there's milk getting into the pool. At my daughters swimming lesson the other week a baby was sick in the pool. The reason? He swallowed some of the water. Should he not have been allowed in the pool because there was always a possibility that he could have been sick?

The no food and drink rule shouldn't apply to breast feeding because having a nursing baby is not the same as opening a bag of crisps or eating a mars bar or drinking a bottle of pop (or any of the healthy alternatives in case someone thinks I'm just referring to junk food) if anything other than breastfeeding is done in a pool (which includes formula feeding) there is some sort of packaging, there is some way of that contaminating the pool - not so much with formula but it still has to be contained in a bottle.
Eating food or drinking could cause the pool to have to be shut down and emptied and cleaned if any of it gets into the water, same with bottle feeding, drop the bottle (yes I know it would likely float but just in case it didn't) and then there has to be some sort of cleaning that has to be done.

No one has to empty and clean a pool because breast milk got into the water....

This is what the law has to say on the matter of breast feeding in public (in the UK) :

Where can a woman breastfeed?

You are protected in public places such as parks, sports and leisure facilities, public buildings and when using public transport such as buses, trains and planes. You are protected in shops, public, restaurants and hotels regardless of how big of small. You are also protected in places like hospitals, theatres, cinemas and petrol stations.

This is probably more applicable :

Are there some places where I cannot breastfeed in public?

Yes, it is not against the law to prevent a woman breastfeeding in a service which is a single sex service for men. This single sex service must be justified, for example, where only one sex needs it or one sex needs the service more than the other. Voluntary groups or charities set up specifically to benefit one sex may be acting lawfully if they exclude women. Religious organisations may offer services to one sex if it is in line with the doctrines of that religion. In some cases, where single sex services are justified, it would be reasonable to object to members of the opposite sex being there.
It is not against the law to prevent a woman breastfeeding where there are legitimate health and safety risks, for example, near to certain chemicals or radiation.

Please note, no where does it say that a breast feeding Mother cannot feed in an area where there is no eating and drinking. Only in areas where there are legitimate health and safety risks. A swimming pool would not come under this.

Taken from here : https://www.maternityaction.org.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/breastfeedingpublicplace.pdf

Gotta love the 2010 Equality Act!

Still eating in a pool when the rules say it shouldn't be.... Bf mums are not special not the exception they should follow rules like everyone else....put to prove a point with bf just because you think you can is not normalising bf it's making it look like argumentative I do what I like rules don't apply to me sort of thing.

Its not going to take 5 minutes to get out the pool to feed a baby so what's the big deal... Perhaps not being awkward and follow the rules like everyone else has to.

Also there is is chemicals in the pool...chlorine, which I can't imagine would taste very nice mixed with breast milk, so could be a health and safety risk

Am I the only one who has a breast fed child with an airtight - and therefore water tight - latch?
Yes there's chemicals in the pool, nothing that poses a health and safety risk though, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swim in it....

So neither of your points are valid are they?

For the record, if it's not illegal for me to breast feed my daughter in a place where she wants feeding then I'll feed her, the 2010 Equality Act makes it illegal for anyone to ask me to stop or to move, so if the law is on my side then I'm sorry you don't agree but I'll breast feed where ever I want. Without a cover.

Am I the only one who has a breast fed child with an airtight - and therefore water tight - latch?
Yes there's chemicals in the pool, nothing that poses a health and safety risk though, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swim in it....

For the record, if it's not illegal for me to breast feed my daughter in a place where she wants feeding then I'll feed her, the 2010 Equality Act makes it illegal for anyone to ask me to stop or to move, so if the law is on my side then I'm sorry you don't agree but I'll breast feed where ever I want. Without a cover.

But are you the only one that has a child that doesn't need to breath through her nose or has a airtight nose while feeding?
because kids splash about in the pools jumping, swimming and splashing and I often get a facefull and end up spluttering so I can only imagine what a baby must go through getting water splashed in their face while trying to feed.
Its essentialy waterboarding and runs the risk of getting on their lungs causing potential choking, drowning or Pneumonia.
Not really worth the risk when moving 3-4 feet away out of the water can solve the danger.

As I said previously if I had continued to breastfed then I still wouldn't have breastfed at a pool but I really hate being exposed, and I know some people aren't and that's fine, but I am, I have large breasts and I hate them and I don't want the world seeing them.

But as for it being the same as eating by the pool, it's not, I don't know why the rules are I place to not eat pool side or on pool because I've been on Holidays where it's acceptable, I imagine the main reasons are the fact it would be dangerous to have cans or bottles in or near the pool.

So the main difference between them is that with any other type or food or drink you need to bring something in with you and then dispose of it, whereas you don't with beast feeding, your boobs come with you and leave with you without causing any health and safety issues.

I thought this was about the woman in the jacuzzi.Nobody is trying to tell YOU what to do.This is exactly what I referred to in my post,women breastfeeding somewhere they know is going to cause an argument so they can throw in the legalities and play hard done to.If a bottle fed baby has to leave the pool or wait a few monutes to eat,it should apply to a breastfed baby too.Us breastfeeding mums don't want special treatment,just equality.

But are you the only one that has a child that doesn't need to breath through her nose or has a airtight nose while feeding?
because kids splash about in the pools jumping, swimming and splashing and I often get a facefull and end up spluttering so I can only imagine what a baby must go through getting water splashed in their face while trying to feed.
Its essentialy waterboarding and runs the risk of getting on their lungs causing potential choking, drowning or Pneumonia.
Not really worth the risk when moving 3-4 feet away out of the water can solve the danger.

The pool we go to isn't busy at the times we go to it, there are no children splashing about, jumping in etc, so no, that doesn't apply to my own personal experience of pools.
For the woman in the article, I can't speak for her as I don't know how busy the pool was but I'm pretty sure that nobody is going to put their child in danger to feed them.

I thought this was about the woman in the jacuzzi.Nobody is trying to tell YOU what to do.This is exactly what I referred to in my post,women breastfeeding somewhere they know is going to cause an argument so they can throw in the legalities and play hard done to.If a bottle fed baby has to leave the pool or wait a few monutes to eat,it should apply to a breastfed baby too.Us breastfeeding mums don't want special treatment,just equality.

Yes, exactly.

I've said it already and I'll say it again: I am all for NIP. I've fed my baby countless times in public and I still feed my toddler in public. I feel that, in this particular circumstance, it's common courtesy to follow the same rules that apply to everyone else. To be honest, I don't care why the rule is in place. Breastfeeding moms have enough challenges feeding in public as is, I'm not about to make it harder by basically saying "I'm the exception to this rule on a technicality."

Also I think one of the bottom lines is still the fact we arnt talking about a week old newborn here that gets worked up if not fed within minutes and somtime you don't really have a choice about how suddenly you have to feed them.
We are talking about a 9 month old that doesn't need to depend on instant feeding like a newborn and the fact she didn't need to feed there and then but rather she choose to feed there and then knowing from the experience of her friend that it would cause someone to remark on the rules of the pool and choose to do it kneeling at the side of the pool and what to me comes across as a very obvious way to make sure it is noticed rather then moving a few feet away or even sitting down in the water to do so rather then putting herself into a position of maximising the chance of being seen (come off it who really thinks its a good idea to start bf as your climbing out of a swimming pool rather then waiting a few more seconds till your steady on your feet)

Doesn't every "right" come with responsibilities?

It's entirely legal for me to walk down the middle of the pavement and not move for people coming the other way.

I'm not about to say we should keep hidden away when BFing because it might offend people, and I have no problem with "whole boob" showing, especially in this situation where you are removing swim suit and replacing with baby. But it does seem a sensible thing to say, not to feed in a pool, but do it poolside. Regardless of whether any milk gets spilled in the pool, i'd be more concerned about spit up afterwards. In a "please sit over in that area rather than this one" scenario, no-one is impeding your rights at all, just asking you to comply with a fairly sensible rule.

It sounds like it was more of a comfort thing than a food thing. I'm going to be honest: if my baby were upset and boob would soothe him, I probably wouldn't have waited to get out of the water. Baby might have just bonked himself. But then I have no idea where everyone is getting details about this story, so :shrug: I might have just pulled that one out of my rear.
I say this because I generally look for somewhere to sit down, but I get the impression from doing it "kneeling by the waterside" (whatever that means) that something made it imminently important.
There are times I think it's inappropriate to nip even if it's legal (not to bring up old debates, but the college professor nursing while lecturing is an example that comes to mind), but this story doesn't strike me as outrageous. So she nursed in a pool. Is it really that different from nursing on a chair beside the pool, without arguments about chemicals and water in the nose (because she obviously didn't try to nurse underwater and you don't actually know that baby was getting water to the face)?
ETA: I also don't think there's much danger from spit up in a 9 mo old. A 0-3 mo old maybe, but my son was just as likely to spit up an hour after a feed as he was during. If the rules don't prohibit young babies in the pool, then obviously they're not concerned with a little spit up.
I don't think it's fair to fault a person for exercising their rights just because they're doing it to make a point. Lots of people throughout history have done the same and it's been a major driver of positive social change.

It sounds like it was more of a comfort thing than a food thing. I'm going to be honest: if my baby were upset and boob would soothe him, I probably wouldn't have waited to get out of the water. Baby might have just bonked himself. But then I have no idea where everyone is getting details about this story, so :shrug: I might have just pulled that one out of my rear.
I say this because I generally look for somewhere to sit down, but I get the impression from doing it "kneeling by the waterside" (whatever that means) that something made it imminently important.
There are times I think it's inappropriate to nip even if it's legal (not to bring up old debates, but the college professor nursing while lecturing is an example that comes to mind), but this story doesn't strike me as outrageous. So she nursed in a pool. Is it really that different from nursing on a chair beside the pool, without arguments about chemicals and water in the nose (because she obviously didn't try to nurse underwater and you don't actually know that baby was getting water to the face)?
ETA: I also don't think there's much danger from spit up in a 9 mo old. A 0-3 mo old maybe, but my son was just as likely to spit up an hour after a feed as he was during. If the rules don't prohibit young babies in the pool, then obviously they're not concerned with a little spit up.
I don't think it's fair to fault a person for exercising their rights just because they're doing it to make a point. Lots of people throughout history have done the same and it's been a major driver of positive social change.

Fair point but most of those did it to make a point and I don't think many of them did it then made such a fuss about how shocked they where to be corrected like they where not expecting it.
If your doing it make a point you shouldn't be surprised and I don't see how she can be surprised when her friend had already told her it had happened to her a few weeks before

Was she shocked by being asked to move, though, or was she shocked by how vitriolic the staff actually were? (Asking because I genuinely don't know.) Because if a friend told me that staff at a certain place were rude to her for nip and I heard the comments the staff were accused of making directed at me or anyone else nip there in real time, I would probably still be shocked, lol. Let's be fair, their comments had shock factor.

It sounds like it was more of a comfort thing than a food thing. I'm going to be honest: if my baby were upset and boob would soothe him, I probably wouldn't have waited to get out of the water. Baby might have just bonked himself. .

Why not? It would only take a minute. I'm well aware of the magic boob, but there are other ways to soothe a baby until you can get out of the pool and whip em out.

Was she shocked by being asked to move, though, or was she shocked by how vitriolic the staff actually were? (Asking because I genuinely don't know.) Because if a friend told me that staff at a certain place were rude to her for nip and I heard the comments the staff were accused of making directed at me or anyone else nip there in real time, I would probably still be shocked, lol. Let's be fair, their comments had shock factor.

Again its debatable as to if the staff did say those things as it was only ever mentioned in one report and has not been mentioned in most other articles and she herself in her comments and replies has never made reference to these things being said and has only ever mentioned them saying the things about not being allowed due to food and drink rules but never mentions the so called other comments.
Im pretty sure if the other stuff was said to her she would be making more a fuss about it and I think its more a case the article made that part up for a reaction, after all they made up the part about her being in a jaquzzi when she wasn't.

So from what I can see her friend did the same thing, was told the same thing about the food and drink rules so she decided to do the same thing to see if she would get the same reaction and act on it.

It sounds like it was more of a comfort thing than a food thing. I'm going to be honest: if my baby were upset and boob would soothe him, I probably wouldn't have waited to get out of the water. Baby might have just bonked himself. .

It definitely was for comfort. She states in the article that her son was getting nervous in the water so she decided to feed him to help calm him down. :flower:

Neither of your points are valid... Not that this is about YOU but what makes you so special that you think you can't follow the same rules that every other person has to follow:shrug:.. Your not extra special.

Is it really that hard to follow rules are do you deliberately break them for attention because "you can"

Its got nothing to do with doing it with or without a cover.... You seem to think to is... Its about breaking rules that are in place for a reason, why not just follow them like the rest if people. Nursing in public is absolutely fine and I salute them that feel confident enough to do so... But what is wrong with bit being able to do so In a pool

Why not? It would only take a minute. I'm well aware of the magic boob, but there are other ways to soothe a baby until you can get out of the pool and whip em out.

Because I don't have to and it doesn't cause any actual harm to anyone else for me to do it. I understand the concept of social responsibility, but popping a boob in that baby's mouth in the water doesn't cause detriment to anyone else. Rules are in place for a reason, but what's the reasoning behind 'no food and drink'? To prevent pollution of the water or surrounding area that could cause harm to other patrons. Nursing in this scenario neither polluted anything, inconvenienced other patrons, or even so much as caused the need for other visitors to have to modify their own behavior. In fact, quick remedy of child upset prevented noise pollution that would possibly bother other patrons and could prevent an accident from a mother rushing around poolside with wet feet trying to get to a place where she could most effectively soothe her baby. IMO, it's safer to do it in the pool in some cases.

Again its debatable as to if the staff did say those things as it was only ever mentioned in one report and has not been mentioned in most other articles and she herself in her comments and replies has never made reference to these things being said and has only ever mentioned them saying the things about not being allowed due to food and drink rules but never mentions the so called other comments.
Im pretty sure if the other stuff was said to her she would be making more a fuss about it and I think its more a case the article made that part up for a reaction, after all they made up the part about her being in a jaquzzi when she wasn't.

So from what I can see her friend did the same thing, was told the same thing about the food and drink rules so she decided to do the same thing to see if she would get the same reaction and act on it.

Ah, I see your point. I'm not sure being asked to move for food and drink rules is all that shocking. I would probably inform them of my rights, but I certainly don't think it's sensationalist news-worthy or worth "acting on" unless they took it further than they seem to have.

Neither of your points are valid... Not that this is about YOU but what makes you so special that you think you can't follow the same rules that every other person has to follow:shrug:.. Your not extra special.

Is it really that hard to follow rules are do you deliberately break them for attention because "you can"

Its got nothing to do with doing it with or without a cover.... You seem to think to is... Its about breaking rules that are in place for a reason, why not just follow them like the rest if people. Nursing in public is absolutely fine and I salute them that feel confident enough to do so... But what is wrong with bit being able to do so In a pool

I think her point was rather that nursing in the pool is not actually against the rules. A pool isn't allowed to make rules that violate someone's legal rights. So she's not saying she's extra special, she's saying that nursing there is well within the actual guidelines of rule-ful behavior.

Because I don't have to and it doesn't cause any actual harm to anyone else for me to do it. I understand the concept of social responsibility, but popping a boob in that baby's mouth in the water doesn't cause detriment to anyone else. Rules are in place for a reason, but what's the reasoning behind 'no food and drink'? To prevent pollution of the water or surrounding area that could cause harm to other patrons. Nursing in this scenario neither polluted anything, inconvenienced other patrons, or even so much as caused the need for other visitors to have to modify their own behavior. In fact, quick remedy of child upset prevented noise pollution that would possibly bother other patrons and could prevent an accident from a mother rushing around poolside with wet feet trying to get to a place where she could most effectively soothe her baby. IMO, it's safer to do it in the pool in some cases.
So, if you don't agree with why the rule is in place, you'll break it - just because you can?

And, if you can't get out of a pool and sit poolside safely with some degree of hurry, then you shouldn't be taking your baby near a pool.

I think this is another of those ridiculous "i have a right, so I'll do it whatever" situations and there is no need for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->