• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BF in a jacuzzi?????

Am I the only one who has a breast fed child with an airtight - and therefore water tight - latch?
Yes there's chemicals in the pool, nothing that poses a health and safety risk though, otherwise you wouldn't be able to swim in it....

So neither of your points are valid are they?

For the record, if it's not illegal for me to breast feed my daughter in a place where she wants feeding then I'll feed her, the 2010 Equality Act makes it illegal for anyone to ask me to stop or to move, so if the law is on my side then I'm sorry you don't agree but I'll breast feed where ever I want. Without a cover.

Neither of your points are valid... Not that this is about YOU but what makes you so special that you think you can't follow the same rules that every other person has to follow:shrug:.. Your not extra special.

Is it really that hard to follow rules are do you deliberately break them for attention because "you can"

Its got nothing to do with doing it with or without a cover.... You seem to think to is... Its about breaking rules that are in place for a reason, why not just follow them like the rest if people. Nursing in public is absolutely fine and I salute them that feel confident enough to do so... But what is wrong with bit being able to do so In a pool

I think her point was rather that nursing in the pool is not actually against the rules. A pool isn't allowed to make rules that violate someone's legal rights. So she's not saying she's extra special, she's saying that nursing there is well within the actual guidelines of rule-ful behavior.

But then you can say the same about any rules that are put in place anywhere and everywhere :shrug: let's break them because I can

Was she shocked by being asked to move, though, or was she shocked by how vitriolic the staff actually were? (Asking because I genuinely don't know.) Because if a friend told me that staff at a certain place were rude to her for nip and I heard the comments the staff were accused of making directed at me or anyone else nip there in real time, I would probably still be shocked, lol. Let's be fair, their comments had shock factor.

Again its debatable as to if the staff did say those things as it was only ever mentioned in one report and has not been mentioned in most other articles and she herself in her comments and replies has never made reference to these things being said and has only ever mentioned them saying the things about not being allowed due to food and drink rules but never mentions the so called other comments.
Im pretty sure if the other stuff was said to her she would be making more a fuss about it and I think its more a case the article made that part up for a reaction, after all they made up the part about her being in a jaquzzi when she wasn't.

So from what I can see her friend did the same thing, was told the same thing about the food and drink rules so she decided to do the same thing to see if she would get the same reaction and act on it.

Ah, I see your point. I'm not sure being asked to move for food and drink rules is all that shocking. I would probably inform them of my rights, but I certainly don't think it's sensationalist news-worthy or worth "acting on" unless they took it further than they seem to have.

Exactly, she was only asked to move for food and drink rules purposes, she wasn't actually told the whole place was a no bf in public place or that she wasn't allowed to actually bf just that she couldn't do it standing in the water where she was because of food and drinks policies.
By her own words she was about to climb out as she started to feed so she was clearly getting out so why not just wait those few minutes till you have sat down rather then risking climbing out a slippery area trying to start bf

This is the pool area she was standing in while feeding,
https://www.crosenstiel.webspace.virginmedia.com/council/parkside/r0300319.jpg

her own words where she was standing at the side about to get out when the feeding started, doesn't really seem a smart idea does it?

1. So, if you don't agree with why the rule is in place, you'll break it - just because you can?

2. And, if you can't get out of a pool and sit poolside safely with some degree of hurry, then you shouldn't be taking your baby near a pool.

I think this is another of those ridiculous "i have a right, so I'll do it whatever" situations and there is no need for that.

1. I just think it makes more sense to be mindful of the purpose of a rule. Otherwise blindly following a rule just because it's a rule can make people take things too far (suspending a little girl for a gun-shaped piece of paper, for example). It's not that I disagree with why this rule is in place. I think it's important to keep pollution and trash out of the pool and away from pool-side. But nursing there does not violate the purpose of the rule. So while I probably wouldn't agree with a mom just feeding her child there because it's mealtime, I support the decision to pop a boob out to soothe an upset baby. Because it doesn't result in the possibility of creating the original scenario the rule was made to avoid.

2. I can get to a poolside safely with a baby. Because I take my time, I don't rush, and there's no stress bearing down. That's not the case when you have a crying baby in your arms who's stressed out by the water.

I think it's more of an "I'm well within my rights and I'm not going to relinquish them without a really convincing reason" situation.

But then you can say the same about any rules that are put in place anywhere and everywhere :shrug: let's break them because I can

Would you mind giving an example of another rule that violates someone's legal rights that you think it's not okay to break? One that you could break without doing harm to others?

Exactly, she was only asked to move for food and drink rules purposes, she wasn't actually told the whole place was a no bf in public place or that she wasn't allowed to actually bf just that she couldn't do it standing in the water where she was because of food and drinks policies.
By her own words she was about to climb out as she started to feed so she was clearly getting out so why not just wait those few minutes till you have sat down rather then risking climbing out a slippery area trying to start bf

This is the pool area she was standing in while feeding,

her own words where she was standing at the side about to get out when the feeding started, doesn't really seem a smart idea does it?

I guess I'd have to be there to decide whether I thought it was a 'good' idea. My son likes to thrash when he's upset and instantly goes limp and relaxed if I pop a boob in. If hers is like mine, it would be much easier to carry a nursing child across the tiles than an upset one. Whether it's a good idea or not, I think she's well within her rights as a mother and as the person carrying the baby to decide how to make it as safe as possible. No one's going to purposefully upset their child in the water just so they can make a point of popping a boob out (at least I hope not).

Would you mind giving an example of another rule that violates someone's legal rights that you think it's not okay to break? One that you could break without doing harm to others?

I meant rules in general... Lets just break them because you can :thumbup:....

But most rules in general don't violate someone's legal rights. :shrug: I think the idea is that this is a unique scenario. No one is saying "break all the rules because I have the capability". They're saying "legally, this rule cannot apply to this specific scenario, so no one actually broke the rules".

But most rules in general don't violate someone's legal rights. :shrug: I think the idea is that this is a unique scenario. No one is saying "break all the rules because I have the capability". They're saying "legally, this rule cannot apply to this specific scenario, so no one actually broke the rules".

But doesn't a case like this require common sense to compromise rather then breaking of rules.
Ie I really don't see whats wrong with saying you cant do it there in the water because of HnS but you can do it here 4 feet away out of the water which is essentially what is being told to people.

So rather then it being about whos breaking rules and laws and who has rights cant someone just move 3 feet away from the water? to keep everyone happy, its hardly breaking your human rights to move 3 feet and if a suitable area is a mear 3 feet away then they reasoning of "cant NIP" cant apply.
So no ones actually being discriminated against if its just a case of move away from the water a little then all is fine (if it was go stand in another room that would be different)

For the record though I don't actually buy the whole just in case you leak or sick in the pool concidering the amount of other stuff that's in that water, a bit of milk is bugger all compared to the pee, poo, dead skin, dirt, discarded plasteres
What my concern is the safety of it for the mother and baby (people love to sue) and just the general ewww of feeding a baby somewhere a child is paddling next to me possible peeing in the water :)
Like I say milk is nothing compared to the other stuff but why would you want to do it knowing that stuff is swimming around you.

Originally Posted by CelticStar View Post
For the record, if it's not illegal for me to breast feed my daughter in a place where she wants feeding then I'll feed her, the 2010 Equality Act makes it illegal for anyone to ask me to stop or to move, so if the law is on my side then I'm sorry you don't agree but I'll breast feed where ever I want. Without a cover.

I think you need to re-read the Act. It doesn't make it illegal to ask a BFing mother to stop or move, it makes it illegal to treat a BFing mother differently from the rest of the world:

The Equality Act 2010 has specifically clarified that it is unlawful for a business to discriminate against a woman because she is breastfeeding a child.

If everyone else has to leave the area to eat or drink then asking a BFing mom to move out of that same area is NOT discrimination.

We also have to remember that safety trumps individual rights sometimes. Moving a BFing mother to a safer area to nurse not only protects her, but everyone in the pool. A mother BFing in/around a pool means a lifeguard will spend more time keeping an eye on the mother and child, since they are in a compromising position safety-wise and less on the rest of the pool, thus putting all the other swimmers at risk.

If we're trying to normalize NIP then, guess what, a BFing mother is not special and does not have any special rights above and beyond what other people have - they have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS, which means they have to follow the same rules.

I might think it's stupid that I can't program my GPS while driving, considering I'm a helicopter pilot and can fly, carry a map, program a computer and talk on the radio all at the same time, but the law is the law. What I think wrt my own personal abilities or beliefs is irrelevant. Just because you feel safe BFing in a pool doesn't matter. Facility rules are facility rules and they aren't discriminating if they apply to everyone equally.

Maybe we should ask a person on tube feeding to leave too. (Seen lots of children on tube feeding) . I don't think breastfeeding on the poolside will do much harm so any more I think a person drinking from a fountain near the pool (there was a fountain in a no food or drink area at my nearby pool area) is harmful.

Sure, you can decide to breastfeed in the pool because it's your right and technically the rule is in place for reasons you feel don't apply to breastfeeding mothers.

But I'm the kind of person that still likes to take other people into consideration. If I'm at someone else's house I ask them if it's okay for me to feed my daughter before I whip a boob out, because it's their house and I don't think it's right to make them uncomfortable even though I don't think it should. If they say "no" then I move to a different room to feed her. Not a big deal.

Sort of like, if there's a "no food or drink" rule, I'm going to take the thirty seconds to get out of the pool to feed my baby elsewhere because other people might not understand why I think I'm above the rule. And I think a lifeguard is well within their rights to assume that breastfeeding goes against the rule and to ask you to get out of the pool. You're then taking that person's attention away from something else (especially if you're arguing it).

Like I said, it just seems like common courtesy to me to keep other people in your thoughts even a little bit. I'm not saying use a cover. I'm not saying hide in the bathroom to feed. I'm saying, evaluate the situation and don't just stubbornly say "I have a right to feed my baby wherever I want and it's everyone else's problem if they don't like it."

Maybe we should ask a person on tube feeding to leave too. (Seen lots of children on tube feeding) . I don't think breastfeeding on the poolside will do much harm so any more I think a person drinking from a fountain near the pool (there was a fountain in a no food or drink area at my nearby pool area) is harmful.

I don't see an issue with feeding at the side of the pool. Most places say "no food or drink in the pool". So you get out of the pool.

I don't see an issue with feeding at the side of the pool. Most places say "no food or drink in the pool". So you get out of the pool.
Totally fine with that but it seem some have issues if you are near the pool too (if it doesn't allow food or drink) . Of course the pools I go to have chairs and such to rest on and I was talking about that.

Originally Posted by CelticStar View Post

I think you need to re-read the Act. It doesn't make it illegal to ask a BFing mother to stop or move, it makes it illegal to treat a BFing mother differently from the rest of the world:

The Equality Act 2010 has specifically clarified that it is unlawful for a business to discriminate against a woman because she is breastfeeding a child.

If everyone else has to leave the area to eat or drink then asking a BFing mom to move out of that same area is NOT discrimination.

We also have to remember that safety trumps individual rights sometimes. Moving a BFing mother to a safer area to nurse not only protects her, but everyone in the pool. A mother BFing in/around a pool means a lifeguard will spend more time keeping an eye on the mother and child, since they are in a compromising position safety-wise and less on the rest of the pool, thus putting all the other swimmers at risk.

If we're trying to normalize NIP then, guess what, a BFing mother is not special and does not have any special rights above and beyond what other people have - they have the EXACT SAME RIGHTS, which means they have to follow the same rules.

I might think it's stupid that I can't program my GPS while driving, considering I'm a helicopter pilot and can fly, carry a map, program a computer and talk on the radio all at the same time, but the law is the law. What I think wrt my own personal abilities or beliefs is irrelevant. Just because you feel safe BFing in a pool doesn't matter. Facility rules are facility rules and they aren't discriminating if they apply to everyone equally.

Good point, in fact letting them go ahead and do it is positive discrimination and discrimination against everyone else.

Sure, you can decide to breastfeed in the pool because it's your right and technically the rule is in place for reasons you feel don't apply to breastfeeding mothers.

But I'm the kind of person that still likes to take other people into consideration. If I'm at someone else's house I ask them if it's okay for me to feed my daughter before I whip a boob out, because it's their house and I don't think it's right to make them uncomfortable even though I don't think it should. If they say "no" then I move to a different room to feed her. Not a big deal.

Sort of like, if there's a "no food or drink" rule, I'm going to take the thirty seconds to get out of the pool to feed my baby elsewhere because other people might not understand why I think I'm above the rule. And I think a lifeguard is well within their rights to assume that breastfeeding goes against the rule and to ask you to get out of the pool. You're then taking that person's attention away from something else (especially if you're arguing it).

Like I said, it just seems like common courtesy to me to keep other people in your thoughts even a little bit. I'm not saying use a cover. I'm not saying hide in the bathroom to feed. I'm saying, evaluate the situation and don't just stubbornly say "I have a right to feed my baby wherever I want and it's everyone else's problem if they don't like it."

I would ask at someone else's house, too. But this is a public place and in this situation, bf didn't negatively affect any of the other patrons. A lifeguard can alert other staff if a situation requires attention and they need to continue surveying the pool. Lots of restaurants say "no outside food or drink". Is is also considered out of line to bf there? Because if we're following rules that closely, a nursing mother wouldn't be welcome in many establishments. And you're ignoring that it wasn't a feed like the child was having lunch. It was for soothing an upset infant. Would anyone consider a binky to be applicable to the food/drink rule?

1. But doesn't a case like this require common sense to compromise rather then breaking of rules.
Ie I really don't see whats wrong with saying you cant do it there in the water because of HnS but you can do it here 4 feet away out of the water which is essentially what is being told to people.

So rather then it being about whos breaking rules and laws and who has rights cant someone just move 3 feet away from the water? to keep everyone happy, its hardly breaking your human rights to move 3 feet and if a suitable area is a mear 3 feet away then they reasoning of "cant NIP" cant apply.
So no ones actually being discriminated against if its just a case of move away from the water a little then all is fine (if it was go stand in another room that would be different)

For the record though I don't actually buy the whole just in case you leak or sick in the pool concidering the amount of other stuff that's in that water, a bit of milk is bugger all compared to the pee, poo, dead skin, dirt, discarded plasteres
2. What my concern is the safety of it for the mother and baby (people love to sue) and just the general ewww of feeding a baby somewhere a child is paddling next to me possible peeing in the water :)
Like I say milk is nothing compared to the other stuff but why would you want to do it knowing that stuff is swimming around you.

1. I have a problem with them saying it's for HnS because that would be a lie. I have no problem with them asking her to move into a 'safer' area or 4 feet in any direction. That's why I don't really think it's news-worthy. But I would defend her right to say no. And if my child were upset and I thought it would improve the safety of the situation to calm him down instead of wrestling him across slippery tiles or if I thought I could stop an escalation by nursing him more quickly, I would probably do so, depending on what else is going on at the time.

2. Like has been said before, a 9 mo is going to swallow much more pool water just swimming around than he ever would latched on, so I think your ew factor of nursing in the pool may be overshadowing the reality of actually doing it.

I think breastfeeding and bottle feeding should be exempt from 'no food or drink' rules and generally speaking they are.

Good point about the soothing - would a dummy be allowed in the swimming pool? BFing serves the same purpose.

Drinking milk from a plastic bottle soothes my son. If he's upset in the pool, can I bring the bottle in? Somehow I doubt it.

No, I don't think a soother is the same thing because there's no milk involved.

No "outside" food or drink is not the same thing at all, in my opinion. The point is that people are allowed to eat/drink in most places but when the rules state that there is no eating or drinking, then I feel that should apply to everyone.

Seriously, we're not talking about leaving the building. We're talking about climbing out of a pool and changing your location by maybe 10ft to abide by a rule that most people would assume applies to everyone.

1. But doesn't a case like this require common sense to compromise rather then breaking of rules.

2. What my concern is the safety of it for the mother and baby (people love to sue) and just the general ewww of feeding a baby somewhere a child is paddling next to me possible peeing in the water :)

1. I have a problem with them saying it's for HnS because that would be a lie. I have no problem with them asking her to move into a 'safer' area or 4 feet in any direction. That's why I don't really think it's news-worthy. But I would defend her right to say no. And if my child were upset and I thought it would improve the safety of the situation to calm him down instead of wrestling him across slippery tiles or if I thought I could stop an escalation by nursing him more quickly, I would probably do so, depending on what else is going on at the time.

2. Like has been said before, a 9 mo is going to swallow much more pool water just swimming around than he ever would latched on, so I think your ew factor of nursing in the pool may be overshadowing the reality of actually doing it.

Yeah I get your point about number 2 but its still just one of those eww things to me, I know what im swimming in but doesn't mean I want to eat my sandwich in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->