Bi-Lingual Babies...

I wish. My stupid English boyfriend :rofl:

Seriously though I was very close to speaking fluent French then after my A Levels I was so glad to be rid of the subject I just seemed to have pushed all knowledge of the language out of my head :dohh:

Gotta find yourself a French lover on the side :rofl: Mine is French and oooh la la is it ever sexy hearing him order some pancakes and coffee at Le Matinee (notre restaurant préféré) :cloud9: :cloud9:

Seriously though I was very close to speaking fluent French then after my A Levels I was so glad to be rid of the subject I just seemed to have pushed all knowledge of the language out of my head :dohh:

Gotta find yourself a French lover on the side :rofl: Mine is French and oooh la la is it ever sexy hearing him order some pancakes and coffee at Le Matinee (notre restaurant préféré) :cloud9: :cloud9:

Or we could swap for a day :rofl: I always found a British accent cute!!

We hope to have a tri lingual baby here, english, turkish and farci (iranian) it should be easier as turkish and iranian have a lot of the same words but are pronounced differently.. I really hope I keep up with it as personally, I always forget to speak anything but english!! :) xx

Or we could swap for a day :rofl: I always found a British accent cute!!

Honestly I would never give him back I LOVE me a French man :rofl:

how has everyone gone about it?
kids in my OH's family all speak english and bengali.. or a mix of both which we've named banglish :laugh2: all of the kids have one parent who speaks bengali and very little english so they have no choice.. whereas me & OH both speak english all the time, OH talks to Laila in bengali sometimes but not often.. she doesn't seem to be picking any of it up :( she knows mam and dad in bengali.. aba and ama.. and she understands peekaboo and who her dada and bibi are (nanna and grandad) but that's about it hmm! xx

I speak to Alexandre in English. I'm also a trained ESL teacher (I finished the program when I got pregnant so I say 'trained' but not experienced LOL) and hope to help him with his writing, reading, etc. We (will be in a few months) living in a francophone town so he'll learn French naturally as his first language along with school.

louandivy- you can take him for a few days if you want, but I'm warning you he is quebecois, not "france" french, so it's mostly a bit of swearing and sugar pie obsession, rather than charming you with wine & fois gras!!! :rofl:

how has everyone gone about it?
kids in my OH's family all speak english and bengali.. or a mix of both which we've named banglish :laugh2: all of the kids have one parent who speaks bengali and very little english so they have no choice.. whereas me & OH both speak english all the time, OH talks to Laila in bengali sometimes but not often.. she doesn't seem to be picking any of it up :( she knows mam and dad in bengali.. aba and ama.. and she understands peekaboo and who her dada and bibi are (nanna and grandad) but that's about it hmm! xx

Our housekeeper speaks English only, & the rest of us at home (6 adults) mix English with Arabic, but we only use English when we speak to the housekeeper.

We dont sit & teach him languages, it's just part of daily communication. He's exposed to both languages, this is why it's easy for him to understand both of them. I speak to him in Arabic most of the time as it's more difficult than English, but I use some English words. I read & sing to him in English, & the housekeeper speaks to him in English only.

He already says more than 50 words (a mixture of Arabic & English), & he understands both languages with no problems.

Ava will speak english and russian. Thats what i was bought up speaking.

mia will speak english and greek. although i will be learning the greek with her as i dont speak it. but we have just moved to cyprus so better get learning!!!

Same we both need to learn greek, his dad is half greek....all his family live in Corfu and we will def be spending some of his childhood there. I have tried to learn before but found it really hard but if a baby can do it then so can i! x

I'm learning Greek too!! my dad lives in Cyprus and we go there quite alot, I know a few words but not alot.

Id have a right time with all my heritage! my mum and nan are Irish, and my dad is Maltese but lives in Cyprus:haha:!!!

That's too bad that it is dying out :( That is why it is illegal here for most kids to go to an English school in Quebec (there are some exceptions but we don't qualify), in order to prevent French from being the minority language in the province. Hard to do when surrounded by English Canada and of course the USA to the south.

Ridiculous! Sorry, Quebec drives me nuts with stuff like this.

That's too bad that it is dying out :( That is why it is illegal here for most kids to go to an English school in Quebec (there are some exceptions but we don't qualify), in order to prevent French from being the minority language in the province. Hard to do when surrounded by English Canada and of course the USA to the south.

Apparently it used to be legal if you had one parent schooled up to grade 12 in English (me) but they changed it recently ... again! :wacko: Now they are introducing laws against video games in English :wacko: :dohh:

Apparently it used to be legal if you had one parent schooled up to grade 12 in English (me) but they changed it recently ... again! :wacko: Now they are introducing laws against video games in English :wacko: :dohh:

I've always said, let them have their separatism. Along with it they can have their own currency, health care, public assistance, army, etc.....see how far they get. :shrug:

We're hoping our LO will speak Finnish and English. Don't know how easy it will be to maintain the Finnish though, as we're about to move to New Zealand, where I will be the only one speaking it to her, but really want her to learn it as my mum's English is very limited.

I have told Hubbie he is teaching her German.

Stupid mummy should really learn too.

Hi can I join this thread?? Im not a mommy yet but my due date is less than 4 weeks away now!! :D :happydance:

My baby will speak both English and Spanish, Dh's family barely speaks English so they will onyl speak Spanish to him and then my side only speaks English. (I speak both. Not fluent Spanish, but I know a lot so I am hoping to go to classes for mommy and baby where it could help me learn some more, too! :D)

We're hoping our LO will speak Finnish and English. Don't know how easy it will be to maintain the Finnish though, as we're about to move to New Zealand, where I will be the only one speaking it to her, but really want her to learn it as my mum's English is very limited.

Our LO is going to speak Finnish too! My OH is Finnish. And she will speak English too, currently at a French creche and will learn German at school. So quatro-lingual for us :)

For those of you teaching sign language; is this for fun or is it needed in the family? I used to have a book on SL and tried to learn some in my spare time (thought it might come in handy sometime), but I lost it. I think it's really interesting.

It's needed for my daughter to communicate with her grandparents. They can lipread and speak, but it will be much easier if she learns sign language. I don't expect her to be fluent like me, but she should be comfortable having a chat in BSL :)

I knew chinese from birth. At 3 I learned vietnamese. And at 6 learned English. no probs whatsoever, except at 12 i stopped using the first two.

Hopefully Isla will speak German and English. I only speak German with her - hubby only English :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->