Bi-Lingual Babies...

Wow, how diverse...Its fantastic :)

English, French and Chinese...hopefully! :)

I am french, Dad is chinese and we live in UK.

Marianne will hopefully be bilingual with English and British Sign Language. BSL was my first language because although I am hearing my parents are both deaf. I'd like her to be able to communicate with my parents too. And it's a useful skill to have.

Im getting Lily to do BSL too, large parts of my family are deaf and ive just finished my level 3! its such a great skill to have!

english and welsh.

im fluent in welsh and rhys will be going to a welsh school - and DH can do the alphabet up to G!! hehe

x

For you welsh girls, do you get a choice to send your kid to welsh school or not? Here in Canada (Quebec) it is illegal for me to send Alexandre to an English school :rofl:

For you welsh girls, do you get a choice to send your kid to welsh school or not? Here in Canada (Quebec) it is illegal for me to send Alexandre to an English school

You get a choice, but most of the primary schools round here have the lessons mainly in Welsh so I'll just go for the most local one..they do get taught English too though. I think it will be a massive bonus for Harry to be fluent in Welsh..I wish I was too, but I'm still pretty basic despite having lessons.

We will teaching LO english and mirpuri (oh n my parents are from kashmir near pakistan) and oh is learning arabic which he wants me n lo to learn aswell!!

For you welsh girls, do you get a choice to send your kid to welsh school or not? Here in Canada (Quebec) it is illegal for me to send Alexandre to an English school :rofl:

when i went to school i went to welsh primary and welsh secondary.

i learned everything through welsh at primary, and everything except english and science and maths through welsh in secondary.

i even learned french (very basic) through welsh :)

xx

We get a choice, either a English school that teaches Welsh but all other times English is spoken or a Welsh school where all lessons etc are done in Welsh and they only speak English when in a English lesson..then the same goes for when they go to high . My DS1 goes to a English school that teaches Welsh, as did I. Im Welsh, live in Wales and have Welsh roots..yet cant speak it :blush: It really is a dying language sadly.

That's too bad that it is dying out :( That is why it is illegal here for most kids to go to an English school in Quebec (there are some exceptions but we don't qualify), in order to prevent French from being the minority language in the province. Hard to do when surrounded by English Canada and of course the USA to the south.

Welsh and english here. I went to a welsh school my daughters in the same school so hopefully we can teach LO to speak welsh.

Here you have to be bilingual, so my LO will grow up speaking both Spanish and English :thumbup: Unfortunately, since I'm English born and raised, I don't speak and was never taught Spanish, so I'm learning as she is, but my OH is fluent, and he will hopefully teach her the basics, although currently he speaks about 95% English to her :dohh:)

My mum speaks French and Dutch fluently, so I would like her to teach my LO something, but it's doubtful.

Here you have to be bilingual, so my LO will grow up speaking both Spanish and English :thumbup: Unfortunately, since I'm English born and raised, I don't speak and was never taught Spanish, so I'm learning as she is, but my OH is fluent, and he will hopefully teach her the basics, although currently he speaks about 95% English to her :dohh:)

Me too except French :rofl: Although I think we'll be surpassed by our bubs soon enough :rofl:

LOL; I think you're right. Here they speak English and Spanish within the same sentence. Most of it is Spanish, and then you have English words dotted around here and there, so you start to understand what they're talking about, and you start to learn what Spanish words mean through that, but I'm so far away from being able to construct a sentence! OH's grandmother is Spanish and doesn't speak any English; I've been with him for almost 10 years and never had a conversation with her :wacko:

OOH, and when my brother and my SIL have a baby, they will raise it bilingual too; English and Cantonese (my SIL is from HK and her parents don't speak English) :thumbup: My family is very mixed :haha:

For those of you teaching sign language; is this for fun or is it needed in the family? I used to have a book on SL and tried to learn some in my spare time (thought it might come in handy sometime), but I lost it. I think it's really interesting.

I wish. My stupid English boyfriend :rofl:

Seriously though I was very close to speaking fluent French then after my A Levels I was so glad to be rid of the subject I just seemed to have pushed all knowledge of the language out of my head :dohh:

mia will speak english and greek. although i will be learning the greek with her as i dont speak it. but we have just moved to cyprus so better get learning!!!

Same we both need to learn greek, his dad is half greek....all his family live in Corfu and we will def be spending some of his childhood there. I have tried to learn before but found it really hard but if a baby can do it then so can i! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->