Bi polar and pregnancy

Harryamysmum

Reaction score
Hi just a quick thread is anyone waiting to try due to mental health problems ie bi polar or anything similar? Xthanksx

I am waiting to try due to mental health problems (and a few other things). I have a mood disorder unspecified, but it probably is bipolar, and anxiety problems. Hi!

Hi! I am newly moved on from WTT to TTC so I hope you don't mind if I post here. Would love to chat with other bipolar ladies thinking of TTC.
Was actually WTT until I finished my Masters (knew I would neve be able to finish off meds) which I just did in May. Then was waiting May and Part of June while I slowly titrated off my meds under the care of my psychiatrist.

It is definitely a struggle! When I am chatting with others in the TTC boards I am thinking I know the TWW is tough but it is even tougher when you are struggling just to function normally!

In fact I was supposed to have therapy this morning but my therapist called out sick last minute so I am feeling really thrown off right now and like my whole week might be tougher...

Are you on meds and considering going off?
We did make out a plan of both positive wellness strategies (that I am still working to implement) as well as my personal crisis warning signs so I feel much more confident with those in place. Also my husband and workplace are very supportive.

Feel free to private message me either of you as well if you prefer.

Hiya thanks for the replys, I'm currently on highest dose depekoe and ripserdone I already have two children my youngest who is 2 I came off my meds and tbh I was a mess my illness has got quite a lot worse since January I couldn't do it again without meds I understand their are a few out there ( mood stabilizers) that are more safer then others to take the one I'm on now is def a big no no in pregnancy :( ,, I haven't decided if I'm def gona have another yet maybe I should be happy with the two I got, one day I'm broody one day I'm not, ( stupid up and down brain!!) lol feel free to message me any questions or anything xx good luck x

Hi! I am newly moved on from WTT to TTC so I hope you don't mind if I post here. Would love to chat with other bipolar ladies thinking of TTC.
Was actually WTT until I finished my Masters (knew I would neve be able to finish off meds) which I just did in May. Then was waiting May and Part of June while I slowly titrated off my meds under the care of my psychiatrist.

It is definitely a struggle! When I am chatting with others in the TTC boards I am thinking I know the TWW is tough but it is even tougher when you are struggling just to function normally!

In fact I was supposed to have therapy this morning but my therapist called out sick last minute so I am feeling really thrown off right now and like my whole week might be tougher...

Are you on meds and considering going off?
We did make out a plan of both positive wellness strategies (that I am still working to implement) as well as my personal crisis warning signs so I feel much more confident with those in place. Also my husband and workplace are very supportive.

Feel free to private message me either of you as well if you prefer.

Forgot to add good luck with ttc!! Keep in touch!!

Thanks! Do you prefer to chat here or in messaging?

Hiya I can't pm at mo due to not having a lot of activity ( I'm new ) lol

Oh whoops.
Well I am trying for my first. I was on Abilify and Vyvanse. Vyvanse was technically for my ADHD but it really helped with my moods and overall wellbeing as well.
My biggest struggles at the moment are low energy/low motivation and also the fear that I will mess up at work. More too but that's the heart of it.
I know you say it was hard with your youngest but you did it! Did anything in particular help you get through?
I am especially worried that if I make it through I may not be able to breastfeed. Staying unmedicated to get through the pregnancy is one thing - I can rest a lot. Staying unmedicated with a newborn sounds impossible!

Oh whoops.
Well I am trying for my first. I was on Abilify and Vyvanse. Vyvanse was technically for my ADHD but it really helped with my moods and overall wellbeing as well.
My biggest struggles at the moment are low energy/low motivation and also the fear that I will mess up at work. More too but that's the heart of it.
I know you say it was hard with your youngest but you did it! Did anything in particular help you get through?
I am especially worried that if I make it through I may not be able to breastfeed. Staying unmedicated to get through the pregnancy is one thing - I can rest a lot. Staying unmedicated with a newborn sounds impossible!
I thought abilify was safe to take in pregnancy? My struggles are mixed states high low high low or both at the same time!! I did it Hun but it was hard I just kept my mind busy etc as for breast feeding don't worry about that!! Both mine were bottle fed straight away I started back on my meds literally ASAP following delivery I completely scrapped breastfeeding it's really not a big thing people make it out to be I know new mums are very pressured into doing it which I think is totally wrong like new mums haven't got enough to think of!! I would say to anyone in your situation but it's entirely up to Hun go straight back on meds when the time eventually comes! Happy mummy happy baby! But u do what u think is best!! Xx u in tww? X u from the uk?

I am waiting to try due to mental health problems (and a few other things). I have a mood disorder unspecified, but it probably is bipolar, and anxiety problems. Hi!

Hi Hun hope ur ok feel free to pm me x

Thanks hun! I'm alright today thanks it's been a decent enough day! How are you?
Good to hear!! I had a decent enough day as well if I'm honest keep smiling its summmmerrr!!! And the weather is perfect :))

Hi Hun hope ur ok feel free to pm me x

Thanks hun! I'm alright today thanks it's been a decent enough day! How are you?
Good to hear!! I had a decent enough day as well if I'm honest keep smiling its summmmerrr!!! And the weather is perfect :))

Yeah lol, summer weather Deffo makes me feel a bit perkier :) lol x

I was diagnosed with depression and bipolar a few years before I got pregnant with my first.

Surprisingly, when I was pregnant with my son (my first) I didn't need to be medicated at all. Pregnancy seemed to balance things out for me...it's the best I've ever felt while unmedicated. :thumbup: However, with my second two (both girls) I was put on anti-depressants about halfway through each pregnancy. I went off of them again though after the girls were born so I could breastfeed. With my first daughter, I was able to breastfeed around 3 months but then had to stop and be put back on medication. My depression got fairly bad. With my second daughter, I breastfed for 3 weeks and then stopped to go back on medication. I was starting to get depression symptoms back and wanted to go back on meds before it got bad. I think I could have continued breastfeeding with the anti-depressants I was put on, but I was told it would more than likely reduce my supply, so I decided just to stop.

It was difficult being unmedicated for the time I was breastfeeding my second child. I had a newborn and a young toddler...the depression got bad and it did get overwhelming. However, since I've struggled with mental health issues for many years now, I have a pretty good support system. My family is definitely a major help and always have been. They kind of keep tabs on me because (for me, anyway) I am always the last one to noticed that my moods have been shifting a lot or that I've seemed really depressed or whatever. Having people who can kind of check up on you and step up when needed can be a fantastic help.

It also helped me to stay busy...talking walks, going to the park, cuddling and watching movies...it all helped. The biggest thing ever that I learned was sleep when the baby sleeps. I know that every new parent gets that advice but I think it's especially important for anyone who has mental health issues. I know that for me, if I'm overtired, it's that much easier for me to become overwhelmed and stressed and get into my "bad" moods.

This got really long...I think I'll stop here. :haha:

Thanks aidensmomma for sharing - I forgot about this thread.
Also, my bff had the same thing! She has major depression and anxiety but was totally fine during her first pregnancy - almost as if she was on fantastic meds although she wasn't. I have never seen her calmer or happier. With her second the pregnancy went alright but she had severe postpartum which for some reason her family thought she was faking so it just made things worse. She still isn't totally alright.

To answer an earlier question I am from the US. I was told by both my gyn and psychiatrist that abilify was not safe - googling it it looks like it isn't either. I would have loved to stay on it but it is category c and I am nervous enough about the choice to continue taking one of my asthma meds (singulair) which is category b - it apparently had a few reports of babies being born with missing limbs but not enough to conclusively link it. It is however safer than albuterol rescue inhaler which is known to cause serious birth defects so by staying on the singulair I can hopefully avoid ever having to use my rescue inhaler whilst pregnant.
As far as mental health stuff my doctors have really been pushing me to join a gym saying that it will help. It is hard to imagine going to a gym when I feel like I have to push myself just to get up shower and do typical daily things.
I do get mixed states also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->