Big baby!

Pulirula

Reaction score
So I'm 22 weeks with a boy. This is second kid. Well this boy is a monster compared to my daughter. He's really big. At my 20 week sono they said he was measuring a week ahead. This scares the heck out of me. When I delivered my daughter it was hard to get her under my pubic bone and they had to use baby soap to get her out. She was just under 8lbs. I'm really scared this kid is going to be huge and be harder to deleiver. I'm 5ft tall and 100lbs not prego. So I'm pretty tiny to be having a big baby! Then my mom brought up that all the boys in the family are all big! I'm just starting to panic a bit. I'm not so much afraid of him doing damage to my body but more scared that he won't come out and I'd have to have an emergency c section. Please help!

My friend just had her second son last week. Starting in the second or third tri all the scene put him at least a week ahead and very large as well so she scheduled a csection to avoid being an emergency I've later on. When he came out he proved all the scans wrong and was just at or under (don't remember this early!) the 8 pound mark.

My baby who was supposed to be the "biggest" came out the smallest, a day before her due date. My baby who was supposed to be "average size" (7lb6oz) came out 9lb2oz 2 days after his due date. My sister's baby was also supposed to be "average" and weighed 11lb8oz, soooooooo I'm not sure I trust these scans. haha

I swear my stomach grows an inch every day. Even people that see me every few days say I'm bigger.

While is true that scans to determine weight later in pregnancy can be off, if they're going by the length of a baby's body parts at a 20 week scan and the baby is measuring ahead that is a more reliable marker for a bigger baby than weight scans. However, having said that, just because baby is a little ahead now, that doesn't mean that it will be big at birth. They grow in growth spurts and it could be your baby had his a little early. I wouldn't start to worry just yet, though I can understand why you're concerned if your first birth was a bit tricky.

I make big babies. My husband and I are both tall (I'm only slightly tall at 5'8, but my husband is very tall at 6'4) and we were both massive babies - which I think is one of the few indicators of predicting whether your own babies will be large. Even from as early as the 12 week scan, my babies always measure ahead. Early scans will match up with my dates, but hen by 12 weeks, I always get moved forward, sometimes as much as 5 days (this baby is following its big brother and sister's footsteps already - my early scans confirmed my dates and it was measuring a day behind, then by 12 weeks my due date was moved four days forward). Then by the 20 week scan they're sometimes up to two weeks ahead and with later scans are always further ahead as well. My son was 9lbs and my daughter was 7lbs8oz, but she came at 36 weeks and would have been bigger had she been born later. With them, every single scan I had, they were very large in terms of the length of their bodies and limbs (and their 32 week growth scans had them both above 90th centile for weight - though these judgements are less reliable). That was the indicator for me. Maybe see if you can have a few more scans to check on baby's size over the next few months just to mke sure it wasn't a one-off and you caught him just after he had a growth spurt? And then discuss your concerns with your doctor? For now, try not to worry, one scan dating ahead is not a reliable indicator that the baby will be big. Good luck!

I just want to follow this, I'm 5ft2 and was 103lbs pre pregnancy, even though my baby is bang on average I worry as I'm very small like you and couldn't deliver a baby that's big!

I'm going to tell my Dr my concerns at my next appt. I try to tell myself that it's the most natural thing in the world and my body will take care of itself. Still blows my mind I did it the first time lol.

I want to follow this thread too.. I'm 5'2 and 110 pre pregnancy. I worry even about an average birth let alone a big one.

I'm 5'1" and was about 110 pre-pregnancy with my first, so fairly small. My mom is even shorter than me and has given birth to six average-to-large babies without a problem. I don't think being short or thin is as much of an issue as having very narrow hips, etc. ...

My son measured 10 days ahead at his 20-week scan. He came at 40 weeks and weighed 7 lb. 6 oz., which isn't too huge.

Well you can see from my siggy that I've birthed an *almost* 9 lb baby. She measured a week ahead of her due date at 20 weeks and I honestly didn't think I could do it. My midwife told me though that very rarely do women ever birth anything that their pelvises can't handle. In other words, hormones cause your pelvis to widen in preparation for birth so that no matter what size baby you have, it should be able to get through. Amazingly after all that worrying she was born without pain medications (I had gone into labor too quickly to get an epidural) and all I could think about was how happy - and relieved - I was that I did it! Now my DS was born 3 weeks early weighing almost 8 lbs while my 2nd DD was born a week from her due date weighing 8 lbs exactly so it seems like my body ejects them whenever they reach close to 8 lbs no matter what week they are. Kind of funny when you think of it :haha:

This baby I'm carrying I have the feeling it is going to be my smallest baby. He was measuring 3 days behind at my first scan and my belly doesn't look as big as when I carried his siblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->