Binge drinking and the NHS

vaniilla

Reaction score
what do you think is the solution?

I watched a show recently on tv that was saying that binge drinking is growing in the UK is going up and so is the cost that comes with it which are already past millions, do you think something should be done to tackle this? the cost they bring on the NHS is not just money but staff ends up getting abused by drunk people.

I think maybe they should impose charges on anyone admitted to hospital through binge drinking to tackle the cost, they're opening new night centers for drunk people to take pressure of hospitals and yet they're closing down maternity wards all around the country,

with more people binging more people will need organ transplants in the future and it will come more and more to choosing who should get it and who shouldn't, do you think its fair that somebody that has been warned countless times on the risks of drinking should be high on the donor list to someone who got ill through no fault of their own?

I watched a show recently on tv that was saying that binge drinking is growing in the UK is going up and so is the cost that comes with it which are already past millions, do you think something should be done to tackle this? the cost they bring on the NHS is not just money but staff ends up getting abused by drunk people.

I think maybe they should impose charges on anyone admitted to hospital through binge drinking to tackle the cost, they're opening new night centers for drunk people to take pressure of hospitals and yet they're closing down maternity wards all around the country,

with more people binging more people will need organ transplants in the future and it will come more and more to choosing who should get it and who shouldn't, do you think its fair that somebody that has been warned countless times on the risks of drinking should be high on the donor list to someone who got ill through no fault of their own?

I want to say that people with a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, eating disorders, ect. do get pushed down on the doner list... Don't quote me on that, but I think that might be the case.

And I'm not sure about the UK, but here in the US I believe a person would receive a ticket and a fine if they ended up in the hospital for drinking, though that money wouldn't go back to the hospital. I agree that insurance should not cover these types of incidents.

I don't know that there is really much more anyone can do though :shrug:

Ive highlighted that bit because my mum is a nurse, she works on intensive care and someone came in that they thought was "binge drinking" was so close to dead but they had managed to sober him up and after 3 days the story came clean.
He was attacked on his way home from work, he was pinned down and the people who were attacking him poured vodka etc down his throat. (he said he had a choice of vodka or petrol)
So, if they we're charged for "binge drinking", he would have been charged for being attacked and would of had to fight for that money back. :shrug:

As for the organ donation. I think that if someone is seriously willing to turn their life around then yes, they should be on the donor list, not as high priority of those who need a donation through medical problems.
BUT if i found out that, lets say my mum, needed a kidney transplant and a alcoholic got one before her, then I would be very upset indeed.
It's one of those things where you can give them a second chance if they're willing, but dont deserve a second chance above others who have no drank themselves close to death.

I think the answer to your question rather depends what you think is the cause of binge drinking. If you think it's peope living it up then maybe yes, introduce charges or deny treatment or whatever. If you think it's a symptom of crap education, welfare, opoortunites etc then maybe the solution lies outside the NHS.

The idea of the NHS is the same treatment for all. Unfortunately that icludes people who have abused themselves but hey ho, a patient is a patient and they all get treated the same.

I really don't know what the solution is tbh. On Sunday night I had to take my Dad to A&E because he was struggling to breathe. It turns out he has pneumonia and I spent about 3 hours waiting until around 2am. It was seriously like Fight Club in there. There were so many completely bladdered people, covered in blood falling around the waiting room. The place was also full of security and police dealing with those they have arrested and brought in. It is a huge problem.

It is a massive problem. My mum refuses to work in A+E because of the drunks/druggies. I oftern wonder how many great medical staff choose not to work on the front line for this reason. I think its a shame.

On one hand the whole concept of the NHS is free and equal care for all. However I think there is a large generation who dont take responsibility for their actions and have a limited idea of consequence.

I would personally see people on drugs not treated before drunks. From what my family say (paramedic, a+e nurse, senior radiographer) It is the people on drugs who are the most abusive and violent.

I was actually talking about charging for amublances with the paramedic friend the other day. The main complaint about her job is being called out as a special taxi service. Either because they cannot afford a taxi, cant drive, have had a drink so cant drive. I was saying if you charged £25 (Per a non emergency call) She would be able to spend much more time on actual life and death situations.

I also think people are too quick to go to A+E or ring 999. They on use the nhs properly, like going to walkin centres,minor injuries, ringing nhs direct, sorting themselves out a GP.

If the govt. was anywhere near serious about cutting back binge drinking, they would raise the age and prevent people selling alcohol at £1.49 per 2 litres. Technically alcohol is a drug, why not ban it altogether, is that too drastic?

If the govt. was anywhere near serious about cutting back binge drinking, they would raise the age and prevent people selling alcohol at £1.49 per 2 litres. Technically alcohol is a drug, why not ban it altogether, is that too drastic?

I think it is pretty drastic. There are many people who drink occasionally and sensibly. Then do you go on to ban smoking, fatty/high sugar foods? Then there's dangerous sports, driving that causes a lot of deaths.

I think the problem lies in people not moderating and self regulating their behaviour. Knowing someone be it the police/nhs/or loved ones will pick up the pieces and put them back together.

Yeah I get what you mean, but I wonder why people need alcohol in the first place (i used to binge drink as well so not being superior). One could argue that you can use cocaine moderately as well. Its just a thought playing on my mind. Why do we need alcohol?

Yeah I get what you mean, but I wonder why people need alcohol in the first place (i used to binge drink as well so not being superior). One could argue that you can use cocaine moderately as well. Its just a thought playing on my mind. Why do we need alcohol?

the reasons could go on forever for why people drink,

stress, for the taste, how it makes them feel, poor self esteem/lack of confidence, poor socializing, peer pressure, lack of choice to some extent, there isn't really much else on offer for people going out at night theres either night clubs or pubs that seems to draw people in, also there is a percentage of people that think you can't have fun unless your drunk :dohh: or that see it as just a means to get drunk not to actually drink and enjoy but to get wasted, they think it makes them more appealing and sociable.

there was an experiment done a couple of years ago (I can't remember which university) but we studied in sociology, a group students was told that they would be given free beer through out the night in a pub for free so they went along, and the more they drank the more loud they became and everyone was more social, doing silly things/behaving drunk, infact though the drinks they were being given contained no alcohol at all which I thought was interesting.

I can only speak for why I personally drink. I will drink socially so like on nights out/parties/ nights in. I dont HVE to ave a drink on these occasions to have fun and oftern dont. Ive been designated driver on a good few occasions.
I drink for stress, I also eat for stress though.
I drink for my pain, not mentally but physically. So for example if I get to an evening and ive had X amount of painkillers I will have a glass of wine rather
than taking another. As I will physically/mentally be better for a glass of wine than taking another painkiller late in the day
I drink red wine and have a interest in it. I have certain type I like from certain countries and have a pallet for it like I do good food

I can count on 1 hand how many times ive drunk to excess. I have never been out of control, never for gotten an evening, never done anything i regret whilst drunk.

I think the reason people drink are extensive.

I think there is a real difference between people who drink for whatever reason and those who take it one step further by getting off thier head.

I used to work as a nurse and a lot of time and money are wasted on being binge drinking, which is totally avoidable, but so is a lot of time wasted on alcoholics, drug addicts, suicide attempts, attention seekers (those who have "sucicide attempts but call the ambulance before they have even taken anything), etc.

Then that about those who have "caused" themselves illness through over eating, the amount of knee replacements needed as people are obese, or liver diseases, cancers, heart condictions.

Then what about those who invole themselves in dangerous sports, jackass style antics, extreme spots, all this increases injuries which again cost the NHS.

The list is endless and if there started being a change for one thing then its a slippy slope. It will end up having to have a medical assessment when you go to hospital to see if that illness/injury was avoidable and if so there is a cost!

Ok Im maybe going over the top, but thats one side of the argument.

But I actually think something needs to be done. Its great that the NHS is free (at the point of contact) and avaliable to all, but perhaps the fact it isnt coping, things are going to have to change.

I would support fines for being drunk and ending up in A&E because of it.

I would also support charges for non emegency calls to ambulances.

Having worked in the NHS its shocking, resources are streached to capacity and there really is only a small pot of money. As someone who stops up my NHS care with private when I have to (consultant waiting lists being months long) I totally support fines and charges for certain things.

But I do think its a dangerous road, not everyone can afford it.

Some countries have charges for first contacts, like when you see your GP, I quite like the idea, its not a huge charge but it puts money back into the NHS and cuts down on time wasters. But then i can imagine there would be people who need healthcare and cant afford it. So whatever works for one situation will cause huge amounts of other problems.

So basically i would support it, but I wonder where that sort of thing will lead us.

Im not sure what should be done but something should be

I agree with charges for non-emergency ambulancesand fines.. Maybe we should also impliment a charge when drunk people throw up in A&E due to the drink like taxi drivers do?

A fine for misuse of emergency services would be ok, though would have to consider minors and people with a mental condition leading to their call so could be more costly to administer than the call out woul've costed (one of the problems with minor fine systems). Personally I'd like to see NI raised as Gordon Brown proposed. If we paid more taxes we could better afford to take care of our poor and our irresponsible rich.

Or NHS could dedicate more money for therapy, as emotional problems appear to be the root of bingeing.

A fine for misuse of emergency services would be ok, though would have to consider minors and people with a mental condition leading to their call so could be more costly to administer than the call out woul've costed (one of the problems with minor fine systems). Personally I'd like to see NI raised as Gordon Brown proposed. If we paid more taxes we could better afford to take care of our poor and our irresponsible rich.

I bloody hope not! We already pay 40% tax and 11% NI, if NI was raised then my OH might as well give up work and go on benefits.

Its not fair that those who work bloody hard for our money have to pay out evan more.

Who is irresponsinbly rich? Those who work hard for their money should be entitled to it. There are those who pay 50% tax! That is just shocking.

The more you earn the more you contribute anyway, why raise the percentage.

Im not sure of your working status, but if your working, do you really think its fair to lose out on more of your money?

Bceause seriously there are so many people struggling right now, because they are working and not had pay increases, my father had to take a pay cut working for the council. Yet you expect people who are already stuggling to pay more?

I know people who pay at the 50% rate, and I also know they would be hit hard with NI increases, because people spend what they have, and what the spend has VAT added anyway.

I bloody hope not! We already pay 40% tax and 11% NI, if NI was raised then my OH might as well give up work and go on benefits.

Its not fair that those who work bloody hard for our money have to pay out evan more.

Who is irresponsinbly rich? Those who work hard for their money should be entitled to it. There are those who pay 50% tax! That is just shocking.

The more you earn the more you contribute anyway, why raise the percentage.

Im not sure of your working status, but if your working, do you really think its fair to lose out on more of your money?

Bceause seriously there are so many people struggling right now, because they are working and not had pay increases, my father had to take a pay cut working for the council. Yet you expect people who are already stuggling to pay more?

I know people who pay at the 50% rate, and I also know they would be hit hard with NI increases, because people spend what they have, and what the spend has VAT added anyway.

Unfortunately the media is to blame for the perception of social classes and income levels. The stories frequently seen are either A - Benefit abusers stealing from tax payers or B - Rich yuppies committing fraud or making dodgy expenses claims.

It makes me very very sad. There's this misconception from both ends. Those with less money get the opinion that all people who earn more are irresponsible and greedy. Those with more money get the opinion that all benefit users are lazy layabouts. Of course neither is true and I;d hope most are clever enough to see past that.

I agree though, no more taxing. There must be other solutions and I think something like a penalty fee for those that make a second or more visit to A&E in a set period of time for drink related issues would be a good start. That plus stopping cheap drinks promotions and things like "free shots" on leaflets for bars and clubs. A local club has only just stopped "buy 1 get 2 free" on drinks... on a THURSDAY! How anti social. A bloody Thursday. We surely must be able to learn more from other cultures too. I read somewhere that the French incorporate alcohol (wine) into most meals and have almost no binge drink or anti-social drinkignrelated problems. xx

Here in Ireland we have to pay €100 when we go to the A & E (I think its that amount could be a bit more).

I think a fine is a good idea but I can't see it working out as I can only imagine the amount of chasing you'd have to do to get payment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->