birthing pool?

I was hoping to use the birthing pool, but have been told that I probably won't be allowed due to my SPD. They are worried about being able to get me out of the pool quickly enough if there is a complication. I can still get myself in and out of the bath tub, so I don't really see why it is an issue. I'm actually pretty upset about it as I'm at my most comfortable in the bath. It really takes the weight off my pelvis. I'm concerned about finding a comfortable position out of the pool and can see it leading to me needing an epidural, which is something I was hoping to avoid.

I've got SPD and my MW's absolutely fine about me birthing in the pool at home. It does depend on how severe yours is, but if you can get in and out of the bath unassisted then I can't see what the problem is.

I asked my MW about SPD combined with labour pains....something along the lines of "labour pains are gonna be bad enough without the added SPD". She was quite insistent that a) you're producing enough endorphins you don't notice the ligament pain and b) being caused by looser ligaments, the SPD helps for an easier labour. Hmmmmmm, we'll see.

If I need to go in because of lack of community midwives for a home birth I will request the pool. I am not planning on getting our own pool as I dont think OH will cope with the emptying. Cost and space are also a factor.

I'm also unsure of the contra-indications for using a pool with a low iron count.

Are you taking iron supplements hun?

Yeah, I was taking Saprtone, I am now taking the proper iron which is a bit like drinking a teaspoon of blood a day.
I'm sure I've read something about not being allowed in the water if iron is too low as the heat means less oxygen gets to baby. But I don't know how low would be low.

Are you taking iron supplements hun?

Yeah, I was taking Saprtone, I am now taking the proper iron which is a bit like drinking a teaspoon of blood a day.
I'm sure I've read something about not being allowed in the water if iron is too low as the heat means less oxygen gets to baby. But I don't know how low would be low.

Most places have a cut-off of 10 for home births and I would imagine it's the same/similar for water births at home or in a unit. Mine dropped to 9.5 then increased to 9.8 without treatment so now I'm just taking an iron tablet a day....even so, my MW isn't worried yet and is happy to just keep monitoring it.

What's your count atm?

I was hoping to use the birthing pool, but have been told that I probably won't be allowed due to my SPD. They are worried about being able to get me out of the pool quickly enough if there is a complication. I can still get myself in and out of the bath tub, so I don't really see why it is an issue. I'm actually pretty upset about it as I'm at my most comfortable in the bath. It really takes the weight off my pelvis. I'm concerned about finding a comfortable position out of the pool and can see it leading to me needing an epidural, which is something I was hoping to avoid.

I've got SPD and my MW's absolutely fine about me birthing in the pool at home. It does depend on how severe yours is, but if you can get in and out of the bath unassisted then I can't see what the problem is.

I asked my MW about SPD combined with labour pains....something along the lines of "labour pains are gonna be bad enough without the added SPD". She was quite insistent that a) you're producing enough endorphins you don't notice the ligament pain and b) being caused by looser ligaments, the SPD helps for an easier labour. Hmmmmmm, we'll see.

I've been given crutches, but I only use them one really bad days just to help take the weight off a little.It's not like I'm wheelchair bound or anything!Mayeb I'll have another chat with my midwife.

I've been given crutches, but I only use them one really bad days just to help take the weight off a little.It's not like I'm wheelchair bound or anything!Mayeb I'll have another chat with my midwife.

Exactly the same here!! :D So if I'm allowed, you should be. There are sections on homebirth.org.uk and UK Midwifery Archives websites about SPD (not just in home birth, they refer to water births too) and how it can be a real benefit during labour if that helps. If you can't find the articles, give me a shout :D

Found this website with tons of information and questions answered about birth pools, specifically Birth Pool in a Box.

https://www.thegoodbirth.co.uk/birth_pool_in_a_box_frequently_asked_questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"