Blood drawn.

JennyLynn512

Mom to four
Reaction score
Ok, Val is almost sixteen months old, but she had her fifteen month check up today. Everything seems to be going ok, but the doctor is concerned about her weight. She put on one pound between now and twelve months but has seemed to drop a couple percentiles below. She has never been on a "curve"....because Valerie's always been real skinny. But he's concerned that since she only weighs 19 lbs and her height is almost 32 inches tall, that she's not proportioned right. He has sent us to go get blood drawn and get some tests ran and has told me that I need to start supplementing one thing of PediaSure a day.

I'm pissed and upset. What if there is something wrong with her? I guess I never thought about it that way, because I thought she was just a skinny girl. But here we are on our way tonight to the hospital to get blood tests drawn and make sure there isn't anything wrong. Is the doctor overreacting?

probably :)
but it will be better to have the tests done and know for sure that she is ok huh ?
best of luck to you , let us know how she goes :)

I'm sure she's fine, I would be worried if she wouldn't be growing at all, but she's only a skinny girl. I do think doctors tend to overreact to some things and sometimes they miss very important things....

I'm sure she's fine, keep us updated xx

I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it right now...it's very normal for toddlers to slow down and drop off some. Has it always been a concern of theirs? I know Hayden has had problems with growth but since 7mo...he is now 23mo and not even 32in and maybe 21-22lbs and has been that for a long time, we don't currently have a dr though. But our pedi wasn't concerned..I'm sure she might be now...but she said it's compltely normal and to try adding more fatty stuff like olive oil and canola oil when cooking..things like pediasure (or carnation breakfast drinks much less expensive and the same thing pretty much she said) to see if it helped but unless height also stopped, and then especially if their head stopped growing THEN it would def be a concern...but just weight alone really wasn't, unless it went on for a long time. But if anything you will find out sooner rather than later IF something is wrong and if not then it will make you all feel more at ease, maybe she's just going to be on the more petite side. Hope it all goes well!!

She is probably just a skinny girl, I hope the test comes back ok :hugs:

Thanks ladies....all the tests came back normal and clear. Yay! Haven't had a meeting with the doctor yet; but at least got a call telling us that her blood counts, thyroid, lead, and anemia were all normal. Thank the lord! I think you're all right....she's just skinny and petite! :)

If she's happy and active then try not to worry hun.

My sister and I were both really thin when we were children - right up until puberty. People would call us skinny and wonder why we were that way. But there was never anything wrong and we ate and ate. We both turned out just fine. My sister is a beautiful slim (but not thin) lady and I'm a little chubby now ha ha

I'm expect they're probably just being cautious - good luck hun (big hugs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->