• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Blood thinners before c-section?

Fire_fly

Reaction score
Hi girls, I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with having to take blood thinners before a planned section?
My SPD has turned x10 worse over the Christmas period and I now cant bend down at all and can barely walk except to shuffle from room to room around the house even with crutches:nope: I'm currently 36 weeks and have a planned section for 39+1.
The midwife said I still have to move about which I have been doing to avoid blood clots but now it's just impossible. Going to phone tomorrow when regular service is back on after the holidays but I already know their going to suggest blood thinners as they've mentioned it twice already if I was to become immobile and worried sick about the risks when it comes to having a section on them.
I don't even think they would take me in early as my consultant is horrible and doesn't count Spd as a problem. The osteopath and physiotherapy are on cards for after baby is here but just worried in the meantime. Thanks x

Think it will be a toss up between the risks of a blood clot and the risks of a section while on them. They will keep a very close eye on you during the section if they know you are on thinners and you would be given thinners after your section anyway. I would talk with your midwife about the risks of both.

I know I've suggested it before and you're planning on going after baby is born but can you not go to the osteo before? Even for 1 session? It could make such a massive difference and if they give you the ability to be a bit more mobile before the birth you wouldn't need the thinners.
I would also push for your section to be brought forward to 38, will your midwife support you on that? I'm feeling your pain, my SPD has got worse over Xmas, there just seems to be too much to do but I'm trying desperately to take it easy today (easier said than done!) x

Unfortunately I've no funds for the osteopath at the minute, only have one wage coming in at the minute so after food, bills, Christmas, baby items and things our toddler needs, it's just not been possible. I'm going after though (as baby things have all been bought) so more room in our budget. I've got to see the physio after anyways aswell, I'm allowed to start exercises at 4 weeks post partum as she's not recommded them so far as she says they don't help with chronic SPD, also apparently theres a god chance my stomach muscles have split so she'll see me after for that anyways.
I would think the midwives would be supportive (I tend to see around 4-5 of the same ones) and they've all lovely. My consultant tends to over-ride them though, I was telling them at my last appointment that my pain killers weren't working anymore and she said could get me some stronger ones but my consultant wouldn't agree to it so her hands are tied. He actually hasn't came in to any of my appointments since he was made to let me get a section a month ago, he knew I was upset with him because if they way he spoke to me and that I'd put a complaint in if it happend again so the midwives have been popping out the room to talk to him instead! Or I've saw the registrar. I'm definitely going to enquire about making it 38 weeks though but with a different doctor.

Definitely, it's so hard isn't it? How long do you have left? x

They've got me in for a section at 38 weeks but may pull it forward to 37 depending how I get on over next few weeks. Seeing my consultant again at 36 weeks for a scan and to decide what's happening. Am also seeing physio now and will see her again after the birth. I would absolutely try and switch consultants, there must be someone else you can see? Also try speaking to your supervisor of midwives to explain your situation, I know your midwives are supportive but she may be able to have more sway with the consultant/getting you changed to a new one. Also unless it's a big travel issue for you you could also look into switching hospitals, you will def get a new consultant that way! Don't let them tell you it's not possible, you're entitled to give birth where you want! I was so against having another section but honestly I can barely cope at the moment so I'm bloody desperate to get this baby out, I couldn't possibly be any more uncomfortable than I am now! X

Definitely, I totally get what you mean. I hope the next few weeks goes quickly for you! I genuinely wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I'm definitely going to enquire tomorrow, don't have another appointment till 38 weeks because of new year etc but I'm going to ask for an earlier appointment to discuss my options. That's a good idea about the senior midwive, I'm going to ask about that.
I was going to switch consultants but seen as he didn't want to see me anyways, I was quite happy with the midwives but that was before so surely there must be someone else I can see. It just annoys me so much he acts like it's not a real condition. Pot luck isn't it whwther or not you get a sympathetic doctor x

There will definitely be someone else you can see, just start kicking up a fuss! We have around 3/4 consultants at my hospital (some more sympathetic than others!) but you seem to get a different story depending who you see! But they've generally agreed on 38 weeks for me so will be pot luck who I see next time if they agree to 37, really depends how my fluid levels are and how baby is growing and a toss up to see if it's worth the risks of another week! X

Well, I called today to just be told the official party line, it doesn't affect the baby so as long as babies okay, there's nothing they can do. The midwive said to call the GP for stronger pain killers and she's left me out 30/500mg co-codomal instead with a warning it's upto me to decide if I want to take as it can affect baby, not said in a horrible way, just matter of fact. Another 2 weeks and 6 days to go which looks like will be spent not moving from my couch!

That's good your going in at 38 weeks, hopefully it'll go in quickly! x

I have co codamol too, they said I can have it up to 4 times per day! But I only take it if I'm desperate, probably only 1-2 times per week x

I have co codamol too, they said I can have it up to 4 times per day! But I only take it if I'm desperate, probably only 1-2 times per week x

It's difficult isn't it? You've got to move about to avoid blood clots but it's not easy with pain relief but you don't want it to affect baby, round and round we go:nope: she said it was because it could affect babies breathing and risk having a short stay in nicu.
We'll just have to focus on once the babies are here, it'll all be worth it:hugs:

Wow so sorry you are in this much pain. I really wouldn’t want to go into a csection on blood thinners. Usually they make you stop taking them up to a week before surgery as there is a real risk you can start hemhorraging during the section. I had spd and I know it sucks but honestly take pain meds and try to move at least a bit ever hour and you should be ok. Blood clots develop when a person is really truly immobile as in doesn’t get off the bed. I would avoid blood thinners at all costs.

Wow so sorry you are in this much pain. I really wouldn’t want to go into a csection on blood thinners. Usually they make you stop taking them up to a week before surgery as there is a real risk you can start hemhorraging during the section. I had spd and I know it sucks but honestly take pain meds and try to move at least a bit ever hour and you should be ok. Blood clots develop when a person is really truly immobile as in doesn’t get off the bed. I would avoid blood thinners at all costs.[/QUOTE

Thanks. It's gotten a little better, literally didn't move off the couch for 3 days except to go to the bathroom around Christmas but have been able to get around a little better since then luckily. I totally agree with you, thats why I was so worried about it, the midwives kept saying I had to move more than I rested (although the physio said do nothing but rest), just depends on why their saying it I guess. It just wasnt possible though and they keep bringing up blood thinners at my appointments (different midwives each time). Really don't want to go down that road though, only 13 days to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Morris98
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->