BLW at 5 months?

babies7777

Momma and ttc
Reaction score
My lo is ebf and will be 5 months on the 5th Feb and we have been waiting till 6 months to start as per guidelines.

This morning i was eating an apple whilst lo was sat on my knee she kept grabbing for it and then smushed her mouth on to it started biting it, she even managed to get some off and had a little gag then went back for more. I tried to take it to have a bite myself and she was not best pleased so i let her suck on it for a bit then took it back when she was distracted.

Im wondering if it was just because it was so close to her as she was on my knee etc and not truly a ready sign but she also at dinner keeps trying to grab my plate. Has anyone started blw this early?

I'd probably think it was still a bit early. I'd give her digestive system a bit longer to catch up with her enthusiasm!

I posted a thread like this a few weeks ago, same thing happened to my LO with a plum. I didn't wean in the end but he has been allowed to gum a piece of fruit on a couple of occasions since. He just sucks it rather than actuAlly eating it. It's not too long till 6 months so I'm gonna wait.

My LO started doing the same thing at maybe 3 or 4 months old and she definitely wasn't ready for solids then. I think it's natural for babies to grab at whatever their mom is holding or showing interest in and try to shove it in their mouths, but it's usually just a developmental thing rather than a readiness cue :shrug:

Give her a spoon to play with while you eat for the next couple of weeks. I wouldn't start at 5 months personally, but we did start offering DS fruit and veg at 23 weeks.

Be careful with apple-it's quite a choking hazard. It should ideally be peeled and steamed for a baby.

She has a spoon and a cup and a couple of toys but my plate is always way more interesting :haha:

we will wait till 6 months, i was curious if anyone had started blw earlier as the books i have been reading say its very rare but the way my lo was with the apple i did wonder but we will wait then she can have everything, makes meal planning a lot easier imo.

Thanks for all the comments!

My LO does this too, tries to grab food off my plate and put it in her mouth, but then she also does it with the TV remote, my phone, toys... whatever she can get her hands on! This makes me believe it might not be a case of her wanting to eat food and rather a case of experimenting by putting everything in her mouth :haha:

She has a spoon and a cup and a couple of toys but my plate is always way more interesting :haha:

we will wait till 6 months, i was curious if anyone had started blw earlier as the books i have been reading say its very rare but the way my lo was with the apple i did wonder but we will wait then she can have everything, makes meal planning a lot easier imo.

We started at 23 weeks, so 3 weeks 'early'. He was sitting unaided, was reaching for our food and had managed to steal some mash from my plate one day as ate it. We just give him a portion of the veg from our plates until he turned 6 months and could have a proper portion. If your baby is ready, then weaning before 6 months is being baby led IMO.

How well does your LO sit unaided? Does she accurately bring things to her mouth?

I've been BLWing for over 2 weeks now :thumbup: if he wasnt ready he wouldnt eat the food imho. He's sitting unaided and has no tongue thrust too.

She sits well in her highchair and if i sit her on my knee or the floor and let go she can hold the position for a little bit but i wouldnt say by her self for long unless in her high chair. She brings everything to her mouth without exception :haha: i was stood by the fridge talking to dh last night whilst holding lo an she grabbed the receipts off the fridge, straight in the mouth, :haha:

We started at 23 weeks, so 3 weeks 'early'. He was sitting unaided, was reaching for our food and had managed to steal some mash from my plate one day as ate it. We just give him a portion of the veg from our plates until he turned 6 months and could have a proper portion. If your baby is ready, then weaning before 6 months is being baby led IMO.

How well does your LO sit unaided? Does she accurately bring things to her mouth?

Thats great, i did wonder if many babies blw before the 6 months so thanks for posting!

re the tongue thrust, how did u know? i gave lo some medicine last night re teething and temp and it was via a spoon, she hated the taste an spat most of it out but it looked more like spitting than her tongue pushing it out, ifykwim does that sound like its going?

I've been BLWing for over 2 weeks now :thumbup: if he wasnt ready he wouldnt eat the food imho. He's sitting unaided and has no tongue thrust too.

If she's not sitting up strongly, then I'd hold off until she is. Sounds like she won't be much longer, but it's best to wait until they're completely able if they're under 6 months. My LO could sit happily for ages by the time we started weaning. At 5 months he was still quite wobbly, but that extra fortnight really did make a world of difference :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->