BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

My OH's grandma tried to give Halen a mr kiplings french fancy :nope: oh and some formula :growlmad:

OH's Mum gave Saf some trifle...only the custard bit apparently because she knows she isn't allowed jelly (cos of the gelatine) but I was a bit peeved :growlmad:

Best way to explain BLW...? I think Lu pretty much summed what I say up :thumbup:

Either that, or get them to read the bible too!

am going to give MIL the book to read so she can tell his family. Also need to somehow convey to everyone that LO wont be having any chocolate or sweets until she is 2 minimum. its going to be fun i can tell! :thumbup:

I just tell people I'm letting him feed himself..still blank stares ha ha or "oh yeah I did with so n so "

I just tell people Ruby refuses to be fed, which is true, so we found out about BLW! Then give them the Bible / let em watch her eat! People tend not to question it when they see it in action. Especially since Ruby eats anything that is put in front of her, providing she can pick it up ok!

It looks like we have another LO who doesn't chew her food either, guess Aisling isn't the only little greedy piggy :lol:

TMI, but there were whole peas, whole bits of noodles and big chunks of chicken in the nappy this morning :sick:
When she was eating last night, she'd be gagging one second and the next the bit of food had gone. We were looking at each other thinking 'she didn't just swallow that whole?' Turns out she did :huh:

George had some toast and pear with me at lunchtime :)

He was really sucking at the pear!!!

Attachments

• toast.jpg
    toast.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 8
  • pear.jpg
    pear.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 7
Cute JJ!

Went to dinner with a friend that has a 9 month old who does traditional weaning. She was shocked at how enthusiastic Otter is about his food. She kept marveling and telling her daughter that she needed to watch and learn from Otter. :haha:

He tore in to anything he could get his hands on. :roll: I took some cucumber slices for him, and he also had baby corn and bits of my salad. He took the little salad plate and started licking it clean! :rofl: Silly boy!

lol ruby likes to lick her plate too!!!

she had avacado for the first time today, she wasnt sure at first but soon got stuck in! shes come on a lot since the appearance of these teeth... although im still worried about the size of the bites she takes!

Aww cute pics of George :cloud9:

Aw TL, you must have been really proud!!

NIfirsttimer, I know it's quite scary to begin with, but try and not worry about the size bites Ruby's taking, she honestly has the necessary reflexes and skills to deal with it! I never minded when Violet took big bites, it was when the pieces started getting smaller I started getting nervous :dohh: But I found the more she gagged and the more I saw her sort it out herself, the more relaxed
I became :thumbup:

I was, thanks! :mrgreen:

I am the same as Faille -- I really worried about the gagging and big chunks at first. The more I see him handle it, the more comfortable I become.

If it makes you feel better, here is a video of Otter eating watermelon for the first time. I had a sandwhich with my dinner, but only gave him watermelon. At the beginning of the video, he actually gags just a tiny bit and sorts it fast (he has gagged MUCH worse than this and still been fine) and toward the end he takes off big bites, but ends up spitting them back out. :)

https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/th_MVI_1426.jpg

aww he is lovely TL. ive been a bit nervous at the fact i will be giving mine big chunks like that purely because i worry about choking but you clearly see he sorts it out himself. the more a read of this book the more i kick myself for not doing it with my eldest. luckily she has always been great with food though and we've had no problems. i really cant wait to c how the twins take to it

Aww he is gorgeous!

I take back everything I've said about BLW not being messy...... I don't know how we cleaned her up :lol:

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/Faille_/01.jpg

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/Faille_/02.jpg

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/Faille_/03.jpg

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/Faille_/04.jpg

https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/Faille_/05.jpg

I love it and so did she!! :rofl:

:rofl:

Those are awesome!!!!!! :dance:

She looks like she got right into it and loved every minute! Looks like she thought it was face paint instead of food, though! :haha:

Ha ha she looks like she is laughing so hard in the bottom one! What is it she's eating?

just doing my research on baby BLW and saw a video on youtube of someone whos BLW but she was handing the baby the food everytime he dropped it. do they not have to pick it up themselves?

They should... but you can "cheat" a little sometimes. I would encourage them to handle it themselves as much as is possible, though. I will sometimes hold a piece out in front of Otter if he is having trouble grabbing from the table due to shape or because it is sticking to the tray. Or last night, I helped him dip his cucumber as he was loving the salad dressing. So, I held the dipped end so he could grab the other end well and get the dipped part into his mouth.

I think other ladies have had their LOs go through a phase where they started wanting things handed to them, but it usually passes.

Ha ha she looks like she is laughing so hard in the bottom one! What is it she's eating?

Lasagne :lol:

About handing things to LO.. I only do it if she's really struggling but I always make sure that she's the one that actually puts it in her mouth.

Or if I'm giving something on a spoon, I'll load it for her and then either hold it in front of her and she'll take it from me or lay it on her tray for her.

I only do it if she's really struggling but I always make sure that she's the one that actually puts it in her mouth.

Agreed! :thumbup:

I don't put things in his mouth... or even direct his hand to help him figure out how to get it there. That is always his job.

OMG Otter looks so so adorable and he is so vocal :cloud9: love your accent too TL!!!

Faille, Violet looks like she really enjoyed her Lasagne :D :happydance:

i also still had bug a few little bits f she is getting frustated but she always controls weather it goes in her mouth or not......tho i must say, i havent handed her anything today..and it is getting less and less often that i have to hand things to her :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->