BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Yeah, according to BLW books babies are taught to swallow a different way to bottles. So have to re-learn how to swallow, then learn how to chew when puree fed, rather than earning straight how to chew.

When did you start giving katie pasta?

yay katie got weighed today, she's 18lb12! just goes to show that blw does really work! even tho we're not completely BLW, its helped so much with her eating!

had a friend round with her 10 month old babies today and omg they were so behind with their eating! katie was sat eating pasta and bananas and they couldnt even eat the pasta!! she was like, they've got teeth, but cant chew! well katie's got no teeth and had no problems biting off chunks of a banana and eating it!! omg tho the food se was trying to get them to eat was so so minging!! pots of pureed fruit that just looked orrible!!

Well done Katie!!!:happydance:
I've wanted to say this for ages about purees, but didn't want to offend. So I'm glad someone else did!!!:rofl: The food does look minging doesn't it!

I was in a coffe shop today - with a friend of mine and her friend that I barely know. She was feeding her 14 month old some cut up crumpet and Oliver was eating an apricot while I was waiting for my pannini to cool down, so he could have half for lunch. She looked at Oliver and said "you never know, if he copes with that apricot, he may be ok with a little bit of crumpet."

I just looked at her and said "actually, he had a lamb chop for teal last night ans is having half my pannini for lunch - he's never had purees".

She nearly fell off her chair and I PMSL!!!:rofl: It was even better when I told her that he spoon feeds himself his yoghurt and porridge too!!

Purees are rank arent they! Id much rather have half a panini than mashed up carrot. BLW makes so much sense I dont why everyone doesnt do it

well some of the purees dont look too bad, the homemade ones i do for katie arent really puree, they're more of a mush and you can tell they were once veg/meat! she was giving them a hipp fruit puree thing tho, and it was the texture of yoghurt and brown :sick:

nic i've been giving katie pasta for about a month or so now, since we started doing the blw, might be a bit less! at first it was just a case of picking it up and licking it, then one day i was eating some and gave her a couple of pieces, didnt really pay much attention to her, then realised one piece was gone! then the other one quickly went too!

well some of the purees dont look too bad, the homemade ones i do for katie arent really puree, they're more of a mush and you can tell they were once veg/meat! she was giving them a hipp fruit puree thing tho, and it was the texture of yoghurt and brown :sick:

nic i've been giving katie pasta for about a month or so now, since we started doing the blw, might be a bit less! at first it was just a case of picking it up and licking it, then one day i was eating some and gave her a couple of pieces, didnt really pay much attention to her, then realised one piece was gone! then the other one quickly went too!

I tried Oliver with pasta once, ages ago and it was a complete disaster :dohh: I think I'll try him again with it this week, now he's an old pro!

We gave London a banana last night and she just played with it, but she did eat some applesauce!! I think she just doesn't like bananas. Odd child that she is. :)

I found that you had to try loads of things at first. The magic food for Niamh was toast and once she got used to that, she's not eating everything pretty much.

katie wouldnt eat banana at first, not even mushed up! now she eats it practically every day!

Alice - I was thinking of you last night!

We gave Oliver pasta and mushrooms!! Woohoo!
we had salmon, crem fresh and mushroom pasta with garlic bread. So we just dumped some pasta with all it's sauce and contents on his tray, along with some garlic bread. My God - he woofed the lot! And without any mess at all. It just all went straigh tinto his trap!

So thanks for that idea hun - I shuld have had the confidence to do it sooner! Leftovers for lunch for him I think!

Does anyone know if wafer thin sandwich meats are ok? We get the Waitrose wafer thin chicken breast (not reformed stuff) and I just bunged some on her tray now. I wouldnt say she loved it but she ate quite a bit.....

Don't know Lisa, I gave Oliver some wafer thin ham the other day. He seemed to enjoy it AND he's still alive!!! ;-)

Not updated for a wee while, was getting stressed about the whole weaning situation to be honest :cry:

I was trying to combine BLW with some purees but little miss Rebecca has decided that the only "purree" type food she will eat is porridge and thats only if she helps mummy spoon feed her!

I started to doubt the whole BLW approach and due to Rebecca going into hospital for a big op, I decided ( wrongly) that purees would be the best option as she seemed to be taking a while to gets to grips with BLW and was deperate to get her eating 2 meals a day before the op( very impatient mummy!)

Well, mummy was wrong and Rebecca was right :rofl:

She has now really taken to BLW, so far she will try anything I give her and so far has tried and liked

Toast- various toppings
bread sticks
cheese
scrambled eggs
dried fruit- prunes, apricots,dates,figs and apples
apples
banannas
kiwi fruit
chicken
mini sweetcorn
loves oven roasted veg- especially sweet potato and muchrooms

going to try cooking some small lamb/pork chops at the weekend and give her one to nom on

Really wish I had just trusted my first decision of BLW and trusted that she would eat when she wanted to

Not updated for a wee while, was getting stressed about the whole weaning situation to be honest :cry:

I was trying to combine BLW with some purees but little miss Rebecca has decided that the only "purree" type food she will eat is porridge and thats only if she helps mummy spoon feed her!

I started to doubt the whole BLW approach and due to Rebecca going into hospital for a big op, I decided ( wrongly) that purees would be the best option as she seemed to be taking a while to gets to grips with BLW and was deperate to get her eating 2 meals a day before the op( very impatient mummy!)

Well, mummy was wrong and Rebecca was right :rofl:

She has now really taken to BLW, so far she will try anything I give her and so far has tried and liked

Toast- various toppings
bread sticks
cheese
scrambled eggs
dried fruit- prunes, apricots,dates,figs and apples
apples
banannas
kiwi fruit
chicken
mini sweetcorn
loves oven roasted veg- especially sweet potato and muchrooms

going to try cooking some small lamb/pork chops at the weekend and give her one to nom on

Really wish I had just trusted my first decision of BLW and trusted that she would eat when she wanted to

Oh hun, don't beat yourself up about it, you were under alot of stress. Sounds like she's got to grips with it now though! It's so easy to doubt yourself doing this method. I did have a period of about 3 weeks where I seriously struggled with the whole concept. But I stuck to my guns and we made it through! The change is just amazing! He now does eat what we eat and it is so easy!
It's great that she's doing well with spoon feding thing too. Oliver gets so stroppy if I try to get it into his mouth - only he can do it!!! It's fab that I know when he has finished too. So I trust him and end the meal time. I used to try for that one last little bit, but there's no point now. He know's when he's done and thats the end of it.

Well done you and stick at it!!!:hug:

Its amazing how much better she is getting every day! My mum was amazed watching her eat prunes and figs yesterday:rofl:

Although I know the MIL isnt too sure about BLW though as at was all purees in her day!! Think she thinks I am being lazy not spoon feeding, its not like I leave Rebecca on her own with her food

Does anyone else get fed up telling people to stop jumping up the minute the baby gags? Its like they dont believe me that she will spit up anything she cant swallow!! and gagging is totally different to choking!!!

ME!! My MIL is so heavy handed anyway and I have to almost rugby tackle her to stop her from batting her back!! LEAVE HER!!! :hissy:

You sound to be doing really well Sam :hugs:

Yes, people do look at me like I'm a bad mother when he gags and I don't bat an eyelid! To be honest, I couldn't give a stuff what people think anymore. I think people are only just coming round to my way of thinking, now he eats a whole meal quite happily!

my dad alst night was telling me how i should be giving katie more purees, so she gets more food! and also telling me she was going to choke on what she had! so i gave him the lecture on tongue thrusts and stuff! and the reason she wouldnt eat much was cos it was too late for her and she was tired!!

When my MIL say Niamh eating toast she said

"aw give the poor child a biscuit or some rice!" :shock:

Even FIL was having a go, saying it wasn't right to make her eat cucumber (which she loves) as it was too much for her.

ugh i hate that..."they're babies, they should be eating baby food". god does my head in! like i'm of the opinion that if she doesnt eat loads atm it doesnt matter cos her main food's milk still. saying that tho, she eats friggin tonnes!! lisa did you see what she ate at TC?!

katie loves cucumber too! she shouldnt be eating that tho apparently, cos she hasnt got teeth yet :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->