BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Big :hug: JayleighAnn, I know how worrying a relatively small weight gain can be. We went through a period where Aisling only put on 5oz in 9 weeks! She was still exclusively bf at that point and I was eventually told by the doc to either wean or switch to formula. I weaned in the end, god knows why, she was happy, active, lively, wet and dirty nappies etc etc :shrug: As you say, he had a bug over Xmas which would account for lower weight gain than usual. Personally I'd give it another few weeks and reassess, you'll probably find his weight gain improves :hugs:

My HV, although lovely, is totally outdated in her knowledge because our area suffers from a chronic lack of funding, so they never go on any courses to receive updated info. It sounds like yours may be similar Jayleigh so don't take her at her word! I also love how HVs who know nothing about BLW 'don't recommend it'. Grrr, if you don't know anything about something, just say so and don't give advice about it!!

About the weight gain, Ruby's gain is slowing too which I understand is normal at this age. She was born on the 25th, shot up to the 99.6th, and is now on the 91st.

Lucy, if Joshua has had a cold he may well not want some of his bottles. I couldn't get Ruby to take any milk for over 7 hours one day a couple of months ago, when she was getting over a cold. I was offering but she just cried. I called the HV who said it's normal.

Ruby was very grumpy again today. She ate all her breakfast, all of her lunch but just played with her dinner for ages and only ate a tiny bit. I don't mind though, atm her mealtimes and naps are the only time she stops whinging for any length of time :( So glad we do BLW, I've a feeling this wouldn't be the case if I was trying to spoonfeed her.

Hmm it will be interesting to see what the HV's say at this weaning class I have been invited too . . . if it's as most people say I guss I must get ready to have to defend my decision! It reminds me of the BF / FF problem I have come across, I ended going from BF to having to combi feed then totally FF but neither my HV or MW could offer advise on FF due to lack of training.

Thanks Mum2b I thought that would be the reason!

Aww poor Ruby, hope shes not so grumpy again soon :)

I am yet to hear about an HV who DOES know about BLW. :wacko:

Mine did, and at one appointment was all for it. She didn't know much, but had heard about it and was die to read up on it.

At the next appointment Nim hadn't gained any weight so she was dead against it and told me to wean early :lol: She was on the 0.4%, but I was happy as she was bright, alert, lots of wet and dirty nappies and fed lots when I was still BFing. No reason to wean early IMO.

I swear HVs just make up crap as they go along.

We had Halen weighed today and in 5 weeks he's only put on 5oz. My HV says it's cause he's not getting enough food, apparently I should force feed him purees? I don't want to bloody force him to eat!! He is still BF every 2 hours round the clock, he was sicky over xmas with some bug, surely that could be why he's lost weight? She just kept sayinv "feed him some cereal based food FROM A SPOON" putting real empthasis on the last part :shrug: help me ladies! Lol

Honestly, it makes me wonder if some of these health boards have heard of professional development. We are clearly really lucky that our health centre are so switched on. It was the nurse who runs my bf group who encouraged me to try BLW. They openly promote it at both their bf groups and baby groups. We have had our bumps (Emma had a bad choking episode a few weeks ago which scared us) but we have kept going. She is now taking 3 meals a day and 5 bf.

Emma has a long history of inconsistent weight gain. There have been many periods when Emma has barely put on an ounce and others where she has gained well. The HV at the clinic have all said to me that I should not worry and that BF babies gain weight on a steps basis / pattern on the growth charts. There will be bits of growth and others of plateau and that is fine. I was encouraged not to move away from exclusive bf onto ff and to just ride it out. Emma was not on the centile chart at all at birth but this week was just around the 25th so I do feel that sticking with bf has paid off but I wonder if I would have given up if the HV were not so insistent that it was fine.

i've stopped seeing my HV...u don't actually 'have' to see them. they r mainly there to offer advice, particularly to first time mums but its a servce u can choose not to access. i've only seen mine twice (and i've seen the helper people at the weigh in clinic twice) and i've never found it helpful. She really nice but not helpful! If theres something 'wrong' with Kian i'll see a GP and i find this forum/ the internet far more helpful if its just questions.

Like i said before...i believe in trusting babies and not tricking/forcing them into changing their eating habbits. I've herad that weight gain slows around this age 2 so it sounds like really bad advice from HV to wean bcoz if that.
Kian has always gained in funny little drips and drabs. i don't think babies should b expected to follow the same charts/grow rates as each other-they're all different. if i was u jayleigh (this just my personal opinion- obviously do whatever u feel is best) i would stick with the BF and BLW and only worry if he stop gaining....i'd also prob avoid that HV either as much as pos or all 2gether!

Kian playing with some baby breakfast cereal (we got some free from HIPP baby club...don't think i'd b buying it tho coz it smells like baby sick!?) Anyway he seemed to enjoy smearing it about on the tray. He scooped loads up with both hands then cupped his face!
and he was scooping it with a spoon and flinging it about! by the end we put him in his vest straight in the bath!

Attachments

• 100_0886.jpg
    100_0886.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 7
My local surestart clinic actively promote BLW - I've heard numerous HV's actually explaining it to other mums and detailing the benefits. My HV also done BLW with her son 17yrs ago. They hand out leaflets, are there for support for BLW and can't reccomend the Gill Rapley book enough. I was really shocked when I found this out, I was dreading telling them that I was doing BLW but they are so for it. Shame the Dr's still don't know about it though :dohh:

Kian playing with some baby breakfast cereal (we got some free from HIPP baby club...don't think i'd b buying it tho coz it smells like baby sick!?) Anyway he seemed to enjoy smearing it about on the tray. He scooped loads up with both hands then cupped his face!
and he was scooping it with a spoon and flinging it about! by the end we put him in his vest straight in the bath!

That looks disgusting :sick:

Lol @ Kian! Smell sounds pretty minging! He looks like he's having fun though! :D

Kian definitely looks like he's having fun!!

My HV was all for BLW but again as soon as there were weight issues she was talking about purees etc :wacko:

LOL @ Kian!

F, that is great to hear about the support out there! And I love your new siggie! She's so beautiful!

What do you guys do when LO has a cold? His appetite is off even for BM and he is soooo stuffy and has a chesty cough. Do you just offer food anyway and not worry if they don't even touch it?

Just had a super fast catch up! Wow, you have been chatty today!

Most has already been said, but I just wanted to say I agree with everyone about Halen and his small weight gain. Do what feels right for you, J! If you don't want to feed FROM A SPOON (silly HV), then don't! Like, JJ, said he will gain more from BM anyway. Just tell the HV to bugger off! :hugs:

TL, Aisling has had a cold over the last week and I've offered food as usual and just left her at it if she didn't eat much. Tonight she had a half way decent portion of shepherds pie but wanted to fill up on yoghurt instead :shrug:

TL...Jacob had a cold all last week and wasn't overly hungry..and he struggled with his milk..probably because he couldn't breath properly! Just offered it anyway...and persevered if he just wanted to take his time, but don't worry too much about it (I don't think!) it can be a bit like that for us if we have a cold too!! Hope he feels better soon :)

Purple_socks I had stopped going to see my HV as she told me to wean him at 4.5mo and FF and I cba with the hassle everytime I go. I only went as I needed her to do something for me about my crap neighbours n my council not moving us. I don't think I'll be going again any time soon. I'm not worried about his weight, he's weeing an pooing and alert. He's reaching his milestones so clearly he isn't
failing to thrive x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->