BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Going back to the yoghurt and rice cakes thing, we tried natural yoghurt which she really wasn't sure about and then promptly vomited up her entire dinner, something she hasn't done before or since :( So we're not trying it again :nope: To be fair, I can't stand the taste of it so it's not fair for me to expect her to like it! We do the Muller yoghurts which seem pretty good and there always seems to be a deal on them in the supermarket!

I also do the Organix apple rice cakes because Aisling absolutely loves rice cakes. I haven't tried any of their other snack ranges though. I just don't see the point of those tomato and sweetcorn type crisp snacks, they just melt in their mouths anyway so its' not like they're practising chewing and they're bloody expensive! I don't eat crisps myself so there's no reason for Aisling to.

Good luck Fsmummy and Niki, so exciting that there's more people starting! :happydance:

I've only ever given chicken breasts in strips that we've cooked ourselves, not tried the packaged ones and we haven't tried sausages either so I'm not much help! :dohh:

thanks girls,:hugs:

i think i will just stick with the cooked chicken strips :thumbup: oh an mince is ok when they start using pincer grip isnt it?

and lu i got my 4 year old a bag of those crisp thingys, carrot flavour and they were horrible :sick: daisy took a bite and froze then just let it fall out of her mouth, her face was a picture :haha:

sorryyy another question :blush: bread? do you use white or brown? does it matter? isnt white more fattening so better for them?

omg! my poor child :blush: she will either end up underfed or obese :dohh:

Lol Lu, the Muller Amore are always on offer too, plus me & OH love 'em so we'll stick to those.. I know they have added sugar too but doesn't seem as much as the kids ones and she doesn't have a lot and it's not everyday .. plus I think a little bit of sugar now and then is good - can't avoid it forever unfortunately :dohh:

Nikki, mince is fine after a bit of practice! You could always load spoons and offer your LO the loaded spoon to feed herself with things like mince. It's just obviously the sauces you've gotta watch if you don't make your own!

We did use wholemeal bread but have since changed to white. I have no idea what was causing it, but we had really bad issues with Violet's nappies and wholemeal bread was one of the things we changed and she's been fine since so we're sticking to white for now. Could of be a factor or nothing to do with it but they dont need wholemeal so I'd rather play it safe for now!

Basically, always choose the full-fat versions of things and don't get high-fibre version of things.

Nikki, mince and stuff is fine, Aisling shovels it into her mouth with her fist rather than using the pincer grip, she's a horse!!

Made tacos tonight, but didn't want to give LO the shells, onions, or beef (mince) yet. So, instead I just gave him lettuce, tomato, and pineapple (no, I don't put pineapple on my tacos, but figured he needed more fruit!) He loved all of it. I couldn't believe how determined he was to stuff the lettuce in his mouth and gum it. I think it might have felt good on his teething. Not sure how much he got down him, but he went to town on all three things. :mrgreen:

I was actually surprised and pleased at this as he has been so sick. What I thought was a cold turned out to be bronchiolitis and we ended up at the doc today. He's on breathing treatments. :( Didn't curb his appetite for solids, though! :happydance:

Aw poor Otter :( Glad he is still enjoying his food though, lol. Hope he gets better quickly. :hugs:

We had pancakes for breakfast, I made Freya's with normal soya milk and no egg, (and they turned out fine, lol!) she loved them, had them with blueberries and bananas. She hasn't had any milk yet today, will see how many bottles she ends up having later on.

:D

not caught up on the thread yet...but kind of need some quick ressurance!!!

about to give Jacob some fusilli pasta (the twists) that is ok right?? they look kind of small...like he would just swallow the whole piece :S would he be ok?!!

not caught up on the thread yet...but kind of need some quick ressurance!!!

about to give Jacob some fusilli pasta (the twists) that is ok right?? they look kind of small...like he would just swallow the whole piece :S would he be ok?!!

It's fine.. we use twists 90% of the time and she's not even gagged on it :thumbup:

thank you :)

i swear it looks like i've put extra small ones though haha! hopefully he'll be the same..although he gags a lot!! we'll see in a minute though!! Thanks :)

i was thinkin that about pasta aswell!

you can get the little tiny shaped pasta tho, think its peter rabbit shapes.

or what about spagetti? its scarey isnt it. Thank god i found this thread:dohh:

oooo... pancakes! I think that might be brekkie tomorrow! :happydance:

*feels stupid* didn't realise that pasta expands when it's cooked...the twists weren't as tiny as I though..he LOVED it!! yay! he's starting to get the hang of chewing etc. now!

might try pancakes as well...good idea!!!

For pasta I use shells, or bows. Not tried twists. We had tagliatelle for tea, not sure it's the best idea really, Freya ate it ok, but I think she eats more of other kinds of pasta, it kind of stuck flat against her hand and I was slightly worried she was going to swallow the end of a bit and have one end down her throat and the other end out of her mouth still, lol.

*feels stupid* didn't realise that pasta expands when it's cooked...the twists weren't as tiny as I though..he LOVED it!! yay! he's starting to get the hang of chewing etc. now!

might try pancakes as well...good idea!!!

Lol, glad he liked it!

For pasta I use shells, or bows. Not tried twists. We had tagliatelle for tea, not sure it's the best idea really, Freya ate it ok, but I think she eats more of other kinds of pasta, it kind of stuck flat against her hand and I was slightly worried she was going to swallow the end of a bit and have one end down her throat and the other end out of her mouth still, lol.

I was actually stood in the shop for ages debating whether to go for shells, bows or twists...will try something different next time! haha...have actually done that with spaghetti before..it's quite strange!

how did you make pancakes with soya milk and no eggs?!! just like you would normally make pancakes?? did it work ok?!!

Yeah it worked fine, I just sort of guessed, lol, just flour and soya milk whisked to the right consistency, thought it wouldn't work but it did, I didn't taste it, lol, but Freya ate loads, so it must have been ok! Will be doing it more regularly I think. I might even get a nicer flour as I don't like the idea of her having too much wheat, she hasn't been having it long. Might try with rice flour or something.

We use pasta bows, they work really well. I haven't used shells because I'm convinced they taste horrible, not sure why! :haha: I've found the spaghetti and tagliatelli are just too hard for Aisling to pick up because they stick to her mat and they're difficult for her to get her hands under to get them up so she has spag bol with pasta bows :thumbup:

Aisling ate an entire adult sized portion of lasagne tonight, a rice cake, a yoghurt and some peach tonight! :shock: With that and her adult sized portions of porridge in the mornings I do worry I'm overfeeding her even though she's taking exactly what she wants. Wouldn't be so bad but she cries every morning when her porridge is finished but I can't increase th eportion size, I'd barely be able to finish it!

Lu- If u put a tsp of olive oil in the water and swirl around every now and then when ur boiling spag (or pasta or rice etc)the oil coats it so it doesn't get sticky. tis a tip i was told on a catering course to aid in presentation (so u dont end up with a stuck together blob of pasta or rice) but it should stop the pasta sticking to the tray so its easier to pick up. As long as its just a little bit of oil then u wont b able to taste it or anything.

^^ I always do that with my pasta. Definitely doesn't stick. :thumbup:

I let Otter have a go at my oatmeal (porridge) this morning. I just loaded the spoon out of my bowl and handed it to him. He certainly wasn't very good at getting the oatmeal in his mouth, but at least knew what end of the spoon to put in! haha! He ended up using the spoon more for teething relief. :rofl:

At one point DH felt bad for him and actually grabbed the spoon to try to spoon feed him so he could get some in his mouth. I had to bite my tongue HARD to not yell at him. But I knew Otter would tell him -- and he did! Otter wouldn't eat it and kept grabbing for the spoon. DH took this as him not liking the oatmeal.

DH: He doesn't like it.
Me: Yes he does.
DH: Then why won't he take it?
Me: Because he wants to feed himself. He doesn't like being spoon fed.
DH: :huh: *puts spoon down*
Me: *picks spoon up, loads it, and hands it to Otter*
Otter: *puts it right in his mouth*
Me: :smug:

Hopefully DH learned his lesson! :haha:

Lol TL! Well done Otter :thumbup:

Is it just me who likes the pasta to be sticky then?? If it's sticky, then Violet can pick it up better :shrug:
We've only had twisty pasta and the long bits with the hole in the middle *needs to learn the proper names for the different pasta* :haha::blush:

And wow Lu, how much is Aisling eating!! I've been having the same concerns lately though, that we're not meant to force feed them etc but what about the other end and them eating too much? Can they even eat too much?? It's so hard to "trust" them to stop when they're full when they just seem to continue to eat and eat.

I can't believe how much they are eating now - is it right?? They bang on the telly ads to give kids 'kids portions' and not adult because of overeating etc so how can it be right for a baby to eat an adults portion :wacko:
Does it say anything about eating "too much" in the bible..? MIL still has mine so can't check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->