BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Tacey - I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you check before you lie her down? Sofia doesn't hoard food anymore, but I often saw her chewing on a piece of chicken/banana/bread long after she'd eaten! TBH I don't think I ever remembered to check after she ate.

Doidy cups work really well for us too, and thinking about it I always offer water after a meal (and during) so TL's right, that's a good chance to wash it out. Can't say I've offered juice yet but I do give her baby tea which she loves, think you can get that in the UK too just check sugar content as some are high.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm preaching but if your baby's having issues with gagging then I would suggest they're not ready yet? Might be best to hold off a week or two and try again.

In the early days we were giving her things that she could have a nice suck on but we weren't really looking for her to be eating, it's just to get the idea. Breadsticks are a good one.

CD, I'm glad it is working! :happydance:

Faerie! You're pregnant! Somehow I think I missed that. :dohh: Congrats!! :dance: I know what you mean about the furious sucking until milk comes it. :roll: My let down takes ages since getting pg again -- frustrating for both of us.

Anyone have any ideas of veggies that are good to pack in a sack lunch? Otter tends to get LOADS of fruit as they keep well in a packed lunch. I would like to vary it with veggies more. But I don't know what to give him. Everything seems either too hard raw or gets gross after sitting in a sack lunch for half the day (like steamed veggies). I don't know what do offer. :nope:

I find lightly steamed carrot and green beans don't go too icky
cucumber, spring onions (scallions) and tomato
I've also given leftover roast veg batons cold but there are rarely any leftover!

JJ, Does G eat spring onions?! I hadn't even thought to offer something like that as Otter doesn't like my milk if I eat too many onions so I thought he wouldn't like them. But maybe that is a bad assumption. :shrug:

Hey everyone!

i hope its ok to post here, but as u can see my boy is almost 6months and i feel he is ready to start blw...YAY he is constantly staring at me eating and the other he even pinched a bit of toast out my hand and had a good chomp lol

have tried a few purees but tbh he isnt keen on them, maybe the texture im not sure...

but yeah so how do i begin with it all, im nervous as heck about him choking lol

Rach, have you read the book yet? BLW by Gill Rapley. If not, get that and start there. :thumbup:

yes i have the book, good reading, altho i havent finished it yet lol

just a bit overwhemled by it all i guess lol :blush:

It really isn't that bad once you dive in! :thumbup: Just start simple -- maybe with fruit and steamed veg sticks (not hard fruit like apple, though). Baby will lead the way! ;)

Don't expect miracles right away... and expect to be scared the first time you see him gag... but don't intervene unless he is choking. After a couple of times seeing him gag and work it out on his own, seeing it won't be a big deal anymore. It doesn't phase me at all when I see Otter gag these days. :mrgreen:

thanks hun! ur right once i get going ill settle a bit lol

going to give it a go tommorrow yay!! ill report back with like a million Qs prob haha :blush:

Hi rachydaz! Just go slow and don't expect much at first! He will gag at the beginning but you just have to sit on your hands and resist the temptation to jump up and intervene. Hard at first... had to hold DH back from picking her up and swinging her round by her toes a few times ;)

TL - I only just noticed today that you are preggers too so congrats! My nipples are sore all over again like when she was a nb, she is not impressed with the hard work.

We normally pack sticks of cucumber and bell pepper when we're out, although recently she's decided she doesn't like cucumber. Anyhow, neither seem to go yucky.

Quick question - How do you know when your LO is eating because they are hungry and not just because it is fun or tastes nice?

Hiya all :howdy: I hope you dont mind me posting in here. Gabriella is now 20.5 weeks old. I am hoping to do BLW with her but Im not sure if Im going to make it to 6 months before I give her solids. She slept through the night from 8 weeks old (7.30-6ish), however at 16 weeks started waking just once at 4.30 for a feed. She upped that to twice, and she is now waking 3 times per night for a feed.....I know she needs it because she's really hungry - I can hear her little tummy grumbling. I am going to try to get to clinic tomorrow to have her weighed to make sure shes not losing weight - but Im a bit worried incase she has and the HV force me to wean her on baby rice now!!

When they say to wean at 6 months is it 24 weeks, or 6 calander months?? :shrug: Theres about a 2 week difference.

Also, is it possible to start BLW before 6 months? And if she isnt sitting up unaided, but is sitting aided and has good neck and back control?

Sorry for all the questions, Im just a bit nervous as I weaned my little man (whos nearly 5) at 3.5 months on my mothers advice :growlmad: going along the slop route..... I have got BLW by Gill Rapley - i think I may need to re-read it as its a while ago since I did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :hugs: xx

Hi Dom! I think a lot have people find their babies suddenly start needing to feed more in the night around that time, but remember that solids won't necessarily help. There's a lot more calories in milk than in baby rice or veggies! My HV told me to start on baby rice even though Alice has stuck to her line (75th centile) so I would take that with a pinch of salt if they suggest it.

We started giving veggies and fruit a couple of weeks before 6 calendar months and she was fine, but looking back, I'd probably have waited. There's no hurry to get them started and after 6 months you can give pretty much anything. I didn't want to give her milk products or gluten before 6 months in case of allergies. If you really want to give it a go though, the book says that they should be able to sit with a little bit of support, pick up food, chew and swallow. Don't expect very much to go in at first though! in the early stages it's more about experimenting and developing new skills.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks Tracey, Im going to try my very hardest to wait another month and a half (calander months!). Do you know how long she will carry on waking during the night for? I dont suppose you can answer that, lol, all babies are different arent they?

I presumed that when she started waking once during the night that was her 4 month growth spurt, but maybe shes having that now??

Aw goodness, I feel like a first timer!

I cannot wait until she does start eating though, its going to be so much fun and I think its going to be so much easier than last time around :D

Dom, if it helps, as far as I understand, solids don't help LO sleep through anyway.
I agree with everything Tacey has said. :)

Mum2bClaire - I remember you posted a recipe for sweetcorn cakes/fritters ages ago... I wrote it down but I can't find it, can you let me know it again please :flower: I've got half a huge tin in the fridge!

Dom, if it helps, as far as I understand, solids don't help LO sleep through anyway.
I agree with everything Tacey has said. :)

Thanks hun, :hugs: I suppose I just assumed it would do......fuller tummy = not needing to wake up longer??? :shrug:

Ive just realised aswell, its 1 month and 1 week until shes 6 months :dohh: time is going wayyyyy too fast, lol :D Im really hoping we can last that long

xx

I agree that loads of babies start waking more at that age and it isn't related to needing solids. She needs more milk, not solids. :thumbup: I think it just seems worse if they were sleeping through before. My LO was still waking at least 4 times per night at that age. He was still waking 4 times per night at 7 months! :dohh:

Thanks for the suggestions for veggies! I'm going to pick some of that up at the store this weekend and try it out next week! :happydance:

well weaning has been fun, but omg so messy hahaha today he had tried, pear, banana, and sweat potatoe :) he really just sucked and chewed it im not sure he actually swalled any, i think mayb the banana as it was like pulp lol!!....this wasnt all at once btw and just a stick of each thing..

have i tried him with too much?? LOL gah ive no idea but so far so good

We had a horrid evening meal today & I'm not sure why :cry:

I did bolognse which he usually loves with pasta shells which he finds the sadist pasta, I did a side of steamed carrots. He basically ignore the food, threw some bits off and kept pushing back from the table.

I tried spreading bolognase on a large rice cake which he grabbed and started crunching really fast - he then blew the bits out like blowing a raspberry laughed and threw the rest on the floor before starting shouting again. I gave him some water in a zippy and he had a small bit quietly then as we were about done I put him back on the floor where he went back to exploring happily....

It was like a tantrum so he could go back toplaying!!!

About 20min later he came crawling over to DH trying to grab his pear so we let him have it - was that the right thing to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->