BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Tacey, he has had it several ways. It is usually shredded in the tacos. He has also had whole leaves of baby greens and fresh spinach in salads. He's also had big pieces on sandwiches. He does fine with it. Usually he keeps it in his mouth until it is nice and soggy :sick: and then swallows it.

Pancakes with applesauce. :mrgreen:

https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/th_MVI_1642.jpg

Hee hee TL, Sofia loves fajitas and goes absolutely nuts for guacamole too :) Just like Mummy and Daddy she loves lots of corriander (cilantro) in it.

Jo I started giving Sofia snacks when she was 8 months. When we were back in the UK she was being really whiny noe afternoon and my 2 year old niece said "Fia hungry" and lo-and-behold she was! Freaky. Now she has brekkie around 8:30, then normally a piece of fruit or something around 10, lunch at 12, snack at 15:00 (biscuit, cake) and supper at around 17:30.

By the way has anyone got any recipes for low sugar/sugar free cake?? I have one that I adapted, carrot cake, which is yum, but would like some variety..

Faerie, I've read that if you halve the sugar in cake recipes it usually still works ok. I haven't dared put this theory to the test yet though! Recently I've made hot cross buns, which are quite low in sugar, Ruby goes mad for them.

Ooh, I might make some of my banana bread with half the sugar and see how it works out :munch:

Basically with the carrot cake I made it called for 150g of sugar and I put in 1 tablespoon of sugar and it works out fine. Added lots of dried apricots anyway and they're sugary. I tried leaving out the tablespoon of sugar but didn't work, cake fell apart and tasted yuck.

TL - that video is *so* cute! I showed it to my DH, he is well impressed at how much/how well Otter is eating. DH has been very open to the idea of BLW, but I think that's him well and truly sold now :rofl:

I've been offering mostly banana to my baby this week, but she just smashes it and don't eat anything ;)
I think she doesn't even know if it is food or not, and when I put her fist in her mouth to see if she likes it, she puts her "yucky" face haha I am the one who is having more fun!

Not sure if we have a problem at the moment or not...
The vast majority of meals george eats really well but I'm sure I'm doing the right thing in terms of milk...

I normally eat breakfast at 8:30 and lunch at 12ish - George is offered these with me and I offer him an evening meal usually before 5pm. He was getting 4 BF a day but I stopped offering his mid morning one and he never asks for it (normal BF both sides at 7:30am, 2pm & 7pm) but now I'm worried he's trying to drop another milk feed. He still has one feed overnight some nights but the time varies a lot & can be as early as 9:30pm and as late as 5:30am & some nights he doesn't wake at all

Today went as follows and it is the 2nd day recently he has done this
7:15am BF
8:30am Porridge
11:30 & 12- offer BF as we were out & lunch was likely to be another hour - refused
1:00pm Lunch (lamb stew), offered BF 30min after lunch but not interested
4:15pm - BF but only took 1 boob
5:15pm - Dinner fish fingers, potato, tomato & asparagus - picked a bit but ot a huge meal
6:45pm - BF & bed

J, I would just trust him to eat/nurse when he is hungry. As long as he is alert, happy, meeting milestones, and gaining weight, then I wouldn't stress over it. Remember that part of BLW is trusting them to decide when they are hungry and not encouraging them to eat more than they want/need. :)

I was just wondering if I should maybe drop a solid feed to encourage milk? I want milk to be his main nutrient source but I'm not sure it is some days.

I think the recommendation is that as long as they are doing 3-4 per day (which it looks like he is) then they are good. At least I think that is what I remember?

Personally, I am sticking with 3 solid meals and a snack (or two) per day. Otter isn't showing signs of full weaning yet, but he has dropped feeds. Lots of people tell me that they think he will self wean early -- before 1 yr. If he does, I don't plan to stop him. But my situation is a bit different as I am pg again and BF is harder now. So, I might not be the best to advise on that. :shy:

Hi ladies!

Sorry to be gross but I have a question about poo :sick:

We've been BLW (3 meals a day) for about a week and a half now and LO's poo routine has gone crazy! Before BLW he used to poo every 2 or 3 days but now he poos 3 times or more every day. The poo itself hasn't changed much except it has bits of food in it and occasionally it's green (mostly it's yellow though).

Did anyone else experience this or should I be concerned? LO is fully BF by the way.

Otter's poos were all out of whack for weeks after starting. :roll: He went the opposite way, though. He used to poo 2-3 times per day then suddenly started going 5 days between poos. :shock: After the got back to daily again (a few weeks) they started to smell like strong, foul vinegar! :sick: That finally went away and now he is back to 2 or so a day, just more "solid" now that he eats so much.

We have the vinegar smell too sometimes... lovely!!!!!

I won't worry too much as it sounds like it's just the new foods playing with his digestive system, I guess they all react slightly differently.

Now I have a new question, this one is a "what would you do" type question :) We're flying from the UK to Australia shortly and the airline offer 3 types of infant meals:

Baby Meal: Suitable for infants less than 1 year old; 1 jar each of main course, vegetables, and dessert
Post-weaning Meal: Suitable for infants between 1 and 2 years old; more substantial than Baby Meal; easy to bite, chew and digestible
Child Meal: Suitable for children between 2 and 7 years old; less substantial than adult meal; easy to bite/chew with items attractive to children

Which one do you think would be best for a BLW baby who will be around 7 months at the time? It's only 24 hours and airline food is never brilliant, but I'm not certain what to go for!

I'd probably go for the middle one as they are more likely to be able to eat it without too much mess; theyt won't be expecting the kids to use cutlery whereas for the older kids one they will. I'd also take lots of snacks that I know he liked

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->