BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I mean pasta shells are the easiest pasta for him; not that they are sadist pasts :dohh: :rofl:

R, I think that is a fine start! :thumbup:

JJ, I wouldn't worry about it. We all have off meals. Maybe he just wasn't all that hungry and wanted to play instead. Part of BLW is letting them decide not to eat if they don't want to. And then later he realized he was a bit hungry and could do with the pear for a snack. I would have done the same as you! :hugs:

I don't think I'll give pasta shells then if they are sadist pasta? Lol

I'll try and find that recipe tomorrow, I can't remember where I got it from now!

Yeah we all have 'off' meals. Ruby has done the same with food at times when she's not hungry - chewing it then blowing raspberries until it was all gone from her mouth. Or her latest trick when she doesn't want any more food, is to put the food into her mouth and then babble really loudly instead of chewing it :dohh:

Quick question - How do you know when your LO is eating because they are hungry and not just because it is fun or tastes nice?

I've only just started to be aware of this. Sometimes Ruby doesn't eat her meal, then I've had something like a hot cross bun that is sweet, and she can't get enough of it. If she'd have been hungry she'd have eaten her savoury food, which she does 90% of the time...:shrug:

When Ruby is hungry she just eats very quickly and doesn't squash the food between her fingers or stare at it for ages.

Freya still eats for fun, she has given me no impression that she is eating out of hunger. She still has over 40oz milk a day which I have given up trying to reduce, I guess she will do it when she's ready. Sometime soon would be nice though, lol.

OMG its been an age since i have been in here !!! :dohh: well we are doing great with BLW...Daisy eats everything (and LOADS of it :blush: so much that i'm getting worried its too much!!!:haha:) and we are down to 3 milk feeds a day....she would probably drop another if i let her but i dont wanna drop her milk intake too much for the next few months.

I cant remember who posted but it was about the not sleeping through....Daisy was always a FANTASTIC sleeper from an early age, but at about 5 months she started waking up and i very nearly started weaning then just to try to get a bt more sleep :dohh: tho i'm so pleased i didnt...she still wakes sometimes now...just to have a chat and make sure i'm not too comfy in bed :haha: remember that it is normal around that age for them to start to realise when you are/arent there and they start to get seperation anxiety too. try not to stress out about it, your LO will start to sleep through again soon, its just a case of waiting it out unfortunately.

also we sometimes have off times when she doesnt want to eat.....they are just the same as us remember, sometimes i dont feel like eating a meal but then an hour or so later i get peckish....this is what BLW is all about! i found it very hard in the early days to remember that it didnt matter if she didnt eat loads at every meal.....:hugs:

hope everyone is well :)

sara

xxxxxxxxx

I sometimes find it difficult to figure out when Aisling is eating because she likes the food or because she's actually hungry. I've noticed the same as Claire, that if she's really hungry she'll go for it really quickly and won't play with it. But then there's other times where I'm sure she's hungry but she won't eat because she doesn't seem to like it :shrug:

hey ladies im stuck what to try mason for dinner tonight as we are having tacos lol....

anyone know what i could try? also what can i give gim for breakfast to try, do u give porridge and musli and things?...would he just scoop it with his hands lol

sorry for all the questions lol

id give him tacos!!!

HELP girls..
Ruby has discovered throwing food... and now EVERYTHING gets thrown! at first she threw it at the dog, and he ate it, so i started to put him out when she was eating, but now she just throws it at me / the floor / the walls / mid air lol
what do you guys do when this happens?/

Ooh, havent had the throwing thing just yet. I'd personally keep taking the food away if it was thrown, give it back and take it away again if food gets thrown again. That's what I do when she messes with her plate.

rach, we do porridge for breakfast. I load the spoon and hand it to her to feed herself. Others let them at it with their hands, totally up to you :D

Yeah Ruby has discovered deliberately dropping food on the floor, and also putting her hand into the Doidy cup instead of drinking from it. She was drinking from it by herself really well, now she just puts her hand into it and won't drink.

I don't know what to do about the water, but with the food she only does it when she's not hungry.

If your Ruby throws food even when she's hungry, could you get a big splashmat / shower curtain and just give the food back to her?

They're too young for 'no don't do that' etc, and you don't want mealtimes battles / games so I doubt there's much else you can do, it's probably a phase...

ill try him with using the spoon, he hasnt done that yet lol

and i never even thought about giving him tacos, they are home made too

Otter loves tacos! Especially if they come with sour cream and guacomole. LOL He'll just pick through it, eat the lettuce, cheese, etc. Lick all the sour cream and guac and finally chew on the shell. (I usually give him a soft shell tortilla)

For breakfast you can also do fruit, pancakes, scrambled eggs, omeletes, french toast... those are some of the things I do that don't need a spoon.

As for throwing, Otter hasn't hit this phase yet. I agree there isn't much to be done, but try to get through it. :shrug: I would probably give the food back a couple of times and then take it away if he kept throwing it.

I started yesterday!! :)

I put the baby on the high chair and some banana pieces in front of her ( I was scared because of the size of the pieces, really big, so She could grab them).
I was amazed of how she took the pieces and started to make her own puree, haha
She took the pieces to her mouth and tried to eat them, wow, IT WAS GREAT!!

She looked very happy :)

What I was wondering is How many times do you offer them food, once a day??
and, When should I offer her the food We are eating, like meat or bread...

This is going to be a wonderful experience for my family, my other two kids were spoon fed.

:dance: Great start, Triplemom!

Your LO is over 6 months, right? There are really no restrictions. You can offer as many meals per day as you want. Otter was on 3 per day at 6 months. We added solid snacks later. And you can offer any of the adult meals you want. Just make sure you cook healthy for her. Also, don't be shocked if she doesn't eat much yet. Or only gravitates to certain things (like fruit, bread, or veg). She'll get the hang of it in her own time.

TL when do u give snacks? Does anybody else give snacks? Between milk at 8, 2 & 6:30 and meals at 8:30, 12 & 4:30 I'm not sure when I'd give a snack!

Daycare gives him snacks. I don't.

He eats a small breakfast of yogurt at 730 am (with me), they give him a "snack" at 830 am. Usually some fruit like a banana or orange. I've taken his morning bottle of ebm away now. :shy: So, he gets some water at about 930. Then lunch at 11 am. Nursed at noon. Bottle of ebm at about 3pm. Then a snack at 330 -- usually some dry cereal or teething bisquits or fruit again. Then dinner at 6, nursed at 630... then sleep. Then nursed one time during the night (usually wakes around 2). Then nursed at 630 am. And start all over! :wacko: Somehow he fits naps and play in there, too! LOL

Ruby, Aisling keeps putting her hands into her doidy too, it drives me nuts! She drinks from it as well but more often than not when she asks for her water it's just so she can dangle her fingers in it :wacko:

Joey, the only snack I give is at about 4pm. Her bf is at about 2.30pm and dinner at 5.30pm so it's the only big gap and she was getting very bad tempered until I realised she was probably hungry! :blush:

joey - I usually just give her food when we have some. It's all good practice!

Tigerlady - just noticed you mentioned Otter eating lettuce. How do you go about that? It's the one thing that I freaked out about and took it off her as I couldn't see how she'd manage to swallow it, but I really want to try again.

Thanks for your help ladies :) You have covinced me that what Gabriella actually needs is more milk and not food. Im convinced now that we can go another month, and she will be one less baby weaned early un-necessarily. I will hopefully be posting in here in another month once she starts chomping her way through family meals xxxx

ps she has only woken once the last 2 nights, so fingers crossed the growth spurt is over. Thanks for helping me through this xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->