BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

We're having a tricky time atm :(

It was all off to a very promising start- Toby's hand eye co-ordination is getting really good, and he seems to be up for trying pretty much anything we put in front of him and enjoys most of it...but a few things are really bothering me and i don't know what i'm supposed to do about them :shrug:

First thing is the tantrums :wacko: We started BLW almost 3 weeks ago and about one week into it the tantrums started! They are normally prompted by either him dropping something he was really enjoying, or else trying to get something in his mouth and failing on more than one occasion (i.e. poking himself in the cheek/chin/nose/eye/ear!!!) I call them tantrums because they truly are like nothing i have ever seen him do before, full on screaming inconsolably, sometimes i manage to calm him down by "helping" him (passing back whatever it was for e.g.) but more often than not i have to actually take bumbo tray off, lift him out, hold him and cuddle him until he settles and then he'll be looking around for the food again and i will sit him back in his bumbo and we carry on where we left off. But sometimes even then, it starts all over again the next time he drops something or doesn't manage to get it to his mouth...and it's so frustrating for him, and upsetting for me to watch. I thought perhaps it was a sign he was "done" with that meal but i don't think so, as if i say "Ok, not to worry" and start clearing up he gets even more upset. So i thought then perhaps i was getting carried away (he's tried all sorts of things) and was giving him things that were too difficult for him to manage but it can happen even with really basic stuff i know he can cope with...so i don't know if that's really the answer? :shrug:

On top of that he seems to be completely rejecting pre-loaded spoons, and will actually hold his hands out of the way to avoid the spoon and lean forward with his mouth wide open like a goldfish waiting for me to shovel something in there! Which is a funny behaviour i think considering we have done BLW (rather than TW) right from the start?!

AND on top of that- he seems to be vomiting more since we started weaning than he was just before we started. He's always had reflux so always been a baby who is sick, but things had improved greatly but i feel a bit like starting weaning has made us take a step back in that regard rather than the step forward i had hoped! :dohh:

So that's that really...not sure what the answer is, or if there even is one, but i am having a few niggly doubts at the minute, which is a shame because we have actually finally had a couple of positive comments re: BLW from some family members (particularly OH's Mum who thinks it's a great idea) so i should be feeling better about it all but i'm feeling a tad stressed :(

Aww Rebaby :hugs: sorry to hear this. I wish I could offer you advice re. the tantrums. Hopefully they will get less as Toby's handling and coordination improves.

Elliott doesn't mind me feeding him either. Often he will reach out for the spoon though and try to do it himslef. Tonight he let me feed him a yoghurt (Yeo Valley little ones - would highly recommend them) and lets me help him with food if he is particularly struggling.

Sorry to hear it's not helping his reflux much either. We have had a very sicky day too (Elliott does not suffer from reflux) and not caused by the gag reflex. For some reason today a lot has been coming up after he's been fed. He's sounded very congested tonight though so it could be linked??...

They do say BLW can be very up and down. Some days Elliott is keen as mustard for food. Other days he will eat a little bit and play with the rest.

Ome thing I have found out now is that I can not eat around him....he begs like a dog for anything I have got!! It's so cute!

Thanks for the reply :hugs: I'm with you on the "begging" thing, today in town i treated myself to a cinnamon pretzel, he looked up from the pram and caught me taking a huge mouthful and his eyes were like saucers! :haha: He also pants a bit with his mouth wide open, it's hilarious!

Another thing i forgot to mention which is stressing me a bit is constipation (Toby, that is- not me! :shock: ) He used to poop about 3 x a day which dropped down to about once a day a couple of months back but since started BLW he is pooping less frequently, as of now, we haven't had a poop from him since Tuesday :( I worry he is getting dehydrated or bunged up or something. We offer him water with meals but he isn't interested. The most success we have had so far is with the doidy, which arrived today. I watered down a bit of fresh pineapple juice and he had a good glug of that with OH helping.

I'm just worrying about it all a bit i guess, wondering if we're doing the right thing.

Thanks for the reply :hugs: I'm with you on the "begging" thing, today in town i treated myself to a cinnamon pretzel, he looked up from the pram and caught me taking a huge mouthful and his eyes were like saucers! :haha: He also pants a bit with his mouth wide open, it's hilarious!

Another thing i forgot to mention which is stressing me a bit is constipation (Toby, that is- not me! :shock: ) He used to poop about 3 x a day which dropped down to about once a day a couple of months back but since started BLW he is pooping less frequently, as of now, we haven't had a poop from him since Tuesday :( I worry he is getting dehydrated or bunged up or something. We offer him water with meals but he isn't interested. The most success we have had so far is with the doidy, which arrived today. I watered down a bit of fresh pineapple juice and he had a good glug of that with OH helping.

I'm just worrying about it all a bit i guess, wondering if we're doing the right thing.

Sorry you are having such a tough time of it - I agree that the tantrums will hopefully settle down when his coordination gets better. Which will happen pretty quickly I am sure.
As for the frequency of poop - same happened here (with Sophia not me!). To start with she was only pooing about once a week but it settled down once she got used to passing more solid stools. And don't worry about dehydration if you aer still breastfeeding he will be getting just what he needs. it took Sophia about 8 weeks to get the hang of having any water

try to stick with it - it will get better x

I'm with you on the constipation thing!! Elliott didn't poo properly for 4 days!!!! He's bf so normally a daily regular. He was farting so much because of it and if I'm honest, he's farts where so so smelly (I kept being blamed!!).

But don't worry, Elliott went on the 4th day and his poo was so different. It was very thick and sticky (atleast it didn't spill out of the nappy for a change!). It smelt different too (not that I have a poo obsession :blush:). He then went 3 times in one day and they were all thick. He went again this morning, another big thick one! I think he is just getting the hang of having to try a little bit harder to go for a number two.

Mind you, he is very keen on water (he likes to copy us) and loves to drink it from his 360 cup. Maybe try giving Toby some watery fruit....Elliott loves white melon and pear and gets a lot of juice from it. Could help to push things along....

Rebaby - I make DD a dried fruit compote thing which I mix into yoghurt...she's not been constipated, but a friends DS has been. He had this with us one day, and apparently it's perfect for getting his bowels going! It's Annabel K (so I can't take credit!) Basically, dried apricots, prunes, raisins all simmered in boiling water - food milled, so they become a lovely sludge and then mixed into yoghurt.

And definitely have days where DD loves solids and not breastmilk...and then days where it's all about the milk and not the solids! Some days she wants me to feed her, other days she has a meltdown if I even try :D

awhh rebaby.. im sure its just a wobbly stage that you will come out of.. i had a few at the start.. im actually having some breakfast issues at the min, but thats a whole other post!

i agree that the coordination is probably a factor here... ruby used to get quite frustrated at the start, now she rarely does it.. have you tried him in a regular highchair, she also didnt like to eat in her bumbo, and we found she was much better in her big highchair..
also.. is he teething? when Rubys gums were / are sore, she will throw her food away and get very upset, i think it hurts :-(
rubys never really been a fan of the preloaded spoon, she can do it, but she would rather not lol.. and she still sometimes does the goldfish 'no you feed me' face when shes having a lazy day, i just ignore it, and she soon gives up and pick sit up herself!
rubys only recently started wanting to drink from a sippy cup with a lid, but has always drunk great from her doidy, so hopefully once he gets used to that he will be drinking more water..
i think if hes having at least one pooh a week, they dont consider it constipation, and it was also a big shock for us when ruby stopped going 2 x daily, and went to once every few days... but that did even out, and its probably daily 95% of the time again now..
but if you are worried, some fruit / juice is normally enough to do the trick..
its still early days for Toby, hes only just 6 months now, so hes had a head start on lots of other babies, so hes doing good.. it will come! i wondered at several points if i was doing the right thing, but now i know we did, and hopefully it will be the same for you xx
hope some of that helps.. its a bit disjointed but im sleepy lol x

I got Finley loads of stuff from shopping today x

Crackerbread
Full Fat Soft Cheese
Baby sweetcorn
Melon
Broccoli
Avacado

oh & some yoghurts x
How do you girls do Avacado??? never used it before.

Avocado can be sliced - it's slippery to hold, though, Adam manages better if the skin is left on, or mashed and made into a dip (guacamole), or spread on toast/ricecakes/bread. It's a very mild, fresh sort of taste, and extremely nutritious for babies as it's high in good fat.

Otter loves avocado in all those forms. :thumbup:

Rebaby -- I had the same thing with constipation and Otter. :dohh: It was awful as I was sure something was terribly wrong. He went from 3x per day to once every 5-6 days!!! :shock: I used all sorts of remedies, most with little success. He would eventually go and usually in massive blow out form. :dohh: That last probably 3-4 weeks before he started going more often again. Then they STANK like the dickens (like vinegar)! :sick: Again, I was sure something was wrong. But I found out that is common and it also works itself out. Needless to say, I will worry less next time around. :)

Otter also does that goldfish impression with the spoon. :haha: It depends on many factors whether I give in and feed him or make him do it.

He also gets serious food envy!! Anytime he sees anyone with anything he looks at them like "You know, it is rude to eat in front of someone and not share." He fully expects everyone to share whatever they have with him. :rofl:

My OH has a reaction to avocado to am a bit unsure about trying LO on it.

Especially as we had an allergic reaction to something this week (started BLW last week), I thought it was blueberries but turns out its dairy. He had a massive rash come up really suddenly eating porridge balls (made with HIPP baby porridge, blueberries and banana) . I assumed it was the blueberries after googling (mistake) and gave him yoghurt the next day to have the same reaction. What an idiot.....:cry:

:hi: when giving your los bread/sandwiches, what kinda stuff do you put on it? Harry is LOVES eating bread & I've given him chunks of cheese, but as yet haven't put anything on it, but I wasn't sure what's safe what with salt contents. i dont really want to put anything sweet on it just yet, but he does seem to like 'attacking' his bread with his fruit, lol!

I usually use mashed hard-boiled egg & creme fraiche, or cream cheese & finely sliced tomato, or avocado. Adam loves cheese (cream and cheddar) but I do my best to limit it, because of the salt, so he only has it a few times a week, definitely not every day.

florabean - we often do mashed banana, guacamole or hummus, especially if we're going out because they stick the bread together nicely! I'll often add in something like cucumber or red pepper to add a bit of crunch. Pure fruit spreads are also a favourite.

I gave him some bread with hummus & a couple of stick chunks of cucumber & he was like the happiest kid alive, probably eating the most he's ever eaten!!!! Thanks for the tips :)

Awww! Isn't it lovely when they are so clearly enjoying eating!

To refer back to the fruit pieces question... I was at work today and my husband was looking after Adam. He decided to give him grapes, for the first time - and he made a video. :D I was so proud to see my little boy tucking in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Cho4t4cIc

Husband tells me he did cut the grapes in half after the video, which I do not necessarily believe... but Adam was ok with whole grapes, didn't choke :lol: Also, really not sure why Adam is in his car seat. I asked and he said they'd just got in from the shops... perfectly good highchair sitting right behind as well.

Haha!!! Mary Jo - I love that video. Adam has such great coordination!

Heh, thanks :D I love the bit where he just grabs the whole bunch and shoves it in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->